SmallFly 2!

Discussion of Restricted Models by Spyderco.
Buddafucco

Re: SmallFly 2!

Post by Buddafucco »

This knife is fire! :p

•• Beau
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

still waitin on that wide-scale release...
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

I know there’s a few DLT Trading guys around here, any word on when this model is coming around?

I was hoping to get burn my DLT points on it before I went on vacation at the end of the month, but I’m gettin a little worried. Especially since it’s out of stock at places like GP Knives now…
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

In stock at Cutleryshoppe
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
Chopping Broccoli

Post by Chopping Broccoli »

koenigsegg wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:33 pm
In stock at Cutleryshoppe
Thank you! Order placed.
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

Alright well, gave up on DLT. Finally have one on the way!

One of my most anticipated models, can’t wait for it to arrive.
Lightly insane.

Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

Abyss_Fish wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:00 am

Sheesh!.. Took ya long enough. :)
I've been carrying mine pretty much every day and still having fun with it.
•• Beau
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

Buddafucco wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:07 pm
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:00 am

Sheesh!.. Took ya long enough. :)
I've been carrying mine pretty much every day and still having fun with it.
I’m going on vacation in a week or so here so that tipped me over the edge. I’ll certainly post all about this little guy in the following months!
Lightly insane.

lagginirl

Post by lagginirl »

I love the knife. It flips amazingly well for the small amount of flipping I do. I have one complaint so far though. I left the knife on my desk over the weekend and came back to a tiger striped bade on only one side. I had blade concerns before but now it's even worse. I have had the knife since May 25th and noticed small imperfections with the blade and didn't care but this is a bit much now. Image not sure if my image is working...
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

lagginirl wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:26 am
I love the knife. It flips amazingly well for the small amount of flipping I do. I have one complaint so far though. I left the knife on my desk over the weekend and came back to a tiger striped bade on only one side. I had blade concerns before but now it's even worse. I have had the knife since May 25th and noticed small imperfections with the blade and didn't care but this is a bit much now. Image not sure if my image is working...
Try posting a hard link using something like imgur if the forum is giving you trouble.

What exactly is it? Is it corrosion or warping? Sometimes I get light stripy corrosion on my knives in 20cv right along where the blade meets the handle, but it’s never anything I can’t wipe off with a microfiber cloth or even my shirt. I say that because because the Smallfly has an intricate handle pattern so it could leave some pretty funky patterns on s30v, which compared to 20cv is pretty rusty.
Lightly insane.

lagginirl

Post by lagginirl »

Abyss_Fish wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:31 am
lagginirl wrote:
Try posting a hard link using something like imgur if the forum is giving you trouble.

What exactly is it? Is it corrosion or warping? Sometimes I get light stripy corrosion on my knives in 20cv right along where the blade meets the handle, but it’s never anything I can’t wipe off with a microfiber cloth or even my shirt. I say that because because the Smallfly has an intricate handle pattern so it could leave some pretty funky patterns on s30v, which compared to 20cv is pretty rusty.

https://imgur.com/a/s3xHyPv still not sure this worked lol but thats the link
lagginirl

Post by lagginirl »

Abyss_Fish wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:31 am
lagginirl wrote:

Yep that is exactly what is happening with this. I can see the marks of where the handles lie on the blade. I have rubbed and rubbed with a cloth with no change.

https://imgur.com/a/s3xHyPv
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

lagginirl wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:11 am
Yep that is exactly what is happening with this. I can see the marks of where the handles lie on the blade. I have rubbed and rubbed with a cloth with no change.

Hit it with a little rubbing alcohol, that usually helps. Or just use soap and water, as long as you’ve got time for it to dry.
Lightly insane.

lagginirl

Post by lagginirl »

Abyss_Fish wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:23 pm
lagginirl wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:11 am

Hit it with a little rubbing alcohol, that usually helps. Or just use soap and water, as long as you’ve got time for it to dry.
I did both. No change sadly.
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

Just got it in! Here’s my first impressions after a day of carry.

Oh wow. It’s essentially all I’ve ever wanted in an edc bali, spectacular ergos, utilitarian blade, wire clip, spring latch, and easy as pie to open. The size is almost perfect too.

Now for negatives. It took ~2 hours to tune up. S30v is a little sub par. And the biggest one, some of the parts are kinda cheap. The spacers (uneven), latch (visible welding points), and screws (very small, poorly machined torx heads) are not so pretty. I would’ve gladly spent another 50-100$ to have better parts. I guess aftermarket parts’ll have to do once they come around. The screws are particularly scary, I likely won’t tune up the knife again until I can get screws with larger torx heads.

Needless to say it’s sticking around in the collection. Keeping a vigilant eye out for sprints and aftermarket parts.
Lightly insane.

lagginirl

Post by lagginirl »

Abyss_Fish wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:56 pm
Just got it in! Here’s my first impressions after a day of carry.

Oh wow. It’s essentially all I’ve ever wanted in an edc bali, spectacular ergos, utilitarian blade, wire clip, spring latch, and easy as pie to open. The size is almost perfect too.

Now for negatives. It took ~2 hours to tune up. S30v is a little sub par. And the biggest one, some of the parts are kinda cheap. The spacers (uneven), latch (visible welding points), and screws (very small, poorly machined torx heads) are not so pretty. I would’ve gladly spent another 50-100$ to have better parts. I guess aftermarket parts’ll have to do once they come around. The screws are particularly scary, I likely won’t tune up the knife again until I can get screws with larger torx heads.

Needless to say it’s sticking around in the collection. Keeping a vigilant eye out for sprints and aftermarket parts.
Yep it is a really dang nice EDC Bali. I do not like the blade finish at all. I think changing the finish or steel would make knife way better. I have been asking around for aftermarket parts. I know for sure Flytanium is not doing anything and some vendors won't touch the knife cause it is a bali and their laws of course. I am in dang love with it though.
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

I will say as a small update, the general tolerances are superb. No screws backing out, no development of handle rattle, no wear on the stop pins, nothing. Still as smooth as ever. Even after some use and a lot of fiddling.
Lightly insane.

sal

Post by sal »

Hi Logginirl,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
TriChrome

Post by TriChrome »

sal wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:42 pm
Hi Logginirl,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Hi Sal! I'm new to the forum as well! I am a 6-time Spyderco knife owner though!

I just registered on the forum because I have some issues with my new Spyderco SmallFly 2. As I'm completely new to this forum, is this the proper place to post about them? (I read the rule PDF and didn't see anything explicitly about that, or find a better place to post, so here I am in this topic)

If I'm to be honest I have to say that I've had some bad experiences on other manufacturers forums through the years when I happen to post anything non-positive about a product on a forum which the manufacturers themselves run (even when I ALWAYS make it a point to be respectful, post lots of detailed pictures, and try my best to give them the benefit of the doubt), only to have my post edited and/or my account deleted. ...So as to not step on anyone's feet I wanted to ask here before I post about these issues.

...It's also too late for me to return the knife to the Spyderco authorized retailer I bought it from (delivered June 12th, and only had a 3-day return window after delivery), so I thought the best place to find other owners of this knife (to see if my experience is a one-off or what), would be on a dedicated Spyderco forum. Please let me know if it's OK to post. Thank you.
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear TriChrome:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Yes, you are in the right place to ask questions about your SmallFly 2. Please ask away...

Stay safe,

Mike