SMKW exclusive Autonomy 2 carbon fiber

Discussion of Restricted Models by Spyderco.
Rinzler

Re: SMKW exclusive Autonomy 2 carbon fiber

Post by Rinzler »

Before this craziness I brought an Autonomy 2 to Spyderco to see if they had other clips, or at least black. I was told that this clip is only for the Autonomy 2.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

JMM wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:47 pm
JMM wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:46 pm
Does anyone know off hand if the clip is comparable to any other model that an after-market deep carry clip would be compatible with, looks similar to a Shaman at first glance... TIA!

Edit: actually looks similar to a Native5 LW more than a Shaman I think

Can't say for sure about the Shaman, as I don't have one, but the screw hole pattern and lanyard hole size of the Autonomy 2's clip are both very different from the Native 5 LW's.

Compare Clips A2 N5LW.JPG
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
Rinzler

Post by Rinzler »

Thanks for the link. Now I need to reassess this purchase because California tells me it will cause cancer.
SpyderGrill

Post by SpyderGrill »

JMM wrote:
JMM wrote:
Does anyone know off hand if the clip is comparable to any other model that an after-market deep carry clip would be compatible with, looks similar to a Shaman at first glance... TIA!

Looks more like a Resilience or Tenacious clip to me, but maybe the lanyard hole is bigger? I dont have an Autonomy to compare.
JMM

Post by JMM »

The Deacon wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:58 am
JMM wrote:
JMM wrote:

Can't say for sure about the Shaman, as I don't have one, but the screw hole pattern and lanyard hole size of the Autonomy 2's clip are both very different from the Native 5 LW's.

Thanks for checking -- sounds like it's a one off, I have most reasonably common clips, so I'll report in what if anything else will work.
JMM

Post by JMM »

They dropped 4 minutes ago.... go go go
Rinzler

Post by Rinzler »

It went live 9 minutes ago. Free coin too.

Not happy with the tax, but a $5 code took care of most of it.
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

Rinzler wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:00 am
It went live 9 minutes ago. Free coin too.

Not happy with the tax, but a $5 code took care of most of it.
Got mine! The coin was a nice surprise too!
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
blueblur

Post by blueblur »

I can’t figure out how to get past the shipping screen...
JMM

Post by JMM »

blueblur wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:14 am
I can’t figure out how to get past the shipping screen...
select shipping type, I went with the free one, I think you may need to scroll down a bit
blueblur

Post by blueblur »

I called and they won’t ship to my state, even though autos are legal for me to have on private property. She said there are about 10 states they won’t ship to :(
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

JMM wrote:
The Deacon wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:58 am
JMM wrote:
JMM wrote:

Thanks for checking -- sounds like it's a one off, I have most reasonably common clips, so I'll report in what if anything else will work.
While I still think its different, I think the lil temperance 3 has the closest clip to the Autonomy 2. The lanyard hole cutout in the clip is actually bigger than the lanyard hole on the lt3. Its also probably my favorite clip so I hope they are the same or similar.

Oh yeah, I broke down and got one. The Autonomy 2 has been on my list for a while. I kept telling myself I would rather have lc200n, but at this point I have plenty of salts. Im also not itching for anymore pe lc200n after the Siren.

These do seem to be a slow seller though. And Im sure its because its plain old s30v. But, s30v is a fine edc steel.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
JMM

Post by JMM »

I've found that as long as the 3rd (top) hole and the lanyard/pivot hole aren't an issue, there are several different models that you can switch between without a ton of headache... take for example a MXG standard Delica titanium deep carry clip, if you take a drill and make the two screw holes about 10% bigger, you can slap it on a Shaman and it looks and works perfect - this was my solution a couple years back when one couldn't find custom Shaman clips yet. Now I am not suggesting this is the ideal choice, but if there is no other option available it might be my solution. Once I have it in hand I'll see if there is any workable solution, if I find one I'll be sure to share all the 411. (with pics) :) ;)

Cheers,

John
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

I’m shocked this is still around. Yes it’s S30V, but it’s a fantastic steel with balanced properties. For the average user this is an upgrade to LC200N, only those who need the extreme rust resistance would this be a downgrade. S90v would have taken this knife to the max, but so would have the price. At $300 I don’t know if there would be enough buyers to justify the exclusive with S90V. To pay only $17 more than a base Autonomy for blacked out hardware and Spyderco’s awesome Peel-ply CF this is a steal no mater what steel is used.
Dane

Dazen

Post by Dazen »

This thing is awesome! I’ve read and heard many reports that this knife is CF/G10 Laminate, it is NOT! This is Peel-Ply SOLID Carbon Fiber, and it’s perfect! The coin is cool too!

Dane

JMM

Post by JMM »

Dazen wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:09 pm
This thing is awesome! I’ve read and heard many reports that this knife is CF/G10 Laminate, it is NOT! This is Peel-Ply SOLID Carbon Fiber, and it’s perfect! The coin is cool too!

Are you missing a screw?
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

JMM wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:38 pm
Dazen wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:09 pm

Are you missing a screw?

Nope, just a reflection on the black screw.
Dane

The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Mine arrived today as well, bit stiff at first, but otherwise it's a really nice knife. Was a little disappointed when I heard they were peel-ply CF, but after handling the knife, I'm not sure if it actually is peel-ply. Definitely has a texture but it's a lot less aggressive than the "cheese grater" textured stuff on my peel-ply CF Military and even less aggressive than the Japanese peel-ply CF.

Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
JMM

Post by JMM »

I really like the CF, I'd say it's my favourite second only to the Sage3 -- the coin is cool too ;)

:)