Blade Off-Center on Autonomy 2

Discussion of Restricted Models by Spyderco.
Molle Ninja

Blade Off-Center on Autonomy 2

Post by Molle Ninja »

I have an Autonomy 2 and the blade is way off-center. Any ideas how to address on this knife?
Rinzler

Re: Blade Off-Center on Autonomy 2

Post by Rinzler »

My Autonomy 2 had the centering slightly favoring one side; I'm OCD about blade centering so it had to be fixed... It's a very easy adjustment, grab a Q tip and stick it between the liner and the blade, pushing the blade until the point that it's centered, then loosen the scale to liner screws and tighten them again. That fixed the centering and it's also the method to adjust blade centering on other Spyderco knives.
Molle Ninja

Post by Molle Ninja »

Cool—will give this a shot. Thanks!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Molle Ninja wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 7:31 pm
I have an Autonomy 2 and the blade is way off-center. Any ideas how to address on this knife?

Not sure if you ever figured this out, but with my Autonomy 1 I found that I can tighten the pivot down much tighter than I can with other knives because the opening spring is so strong it still easily flies open, so you might be able to fiddle with the pivot and get rid of the centering issue. I would guess that it has something to do with the spring because the pivot is under a good amount of preload from the opening spring, I'm sure if the pivot is loose it could push the blade off center.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Molle Ninja

Post by Molle Ninja »

Thanks ... tried that first and it shut down the action completely.
Kodiak PA

Post by Kodiak PA »

Both my Autonomy 2's have been off centered. In fact the second one I bought was through GP Knives and they inspected every model they had in stock and they were all off centered. The one they sent me was the best one and it is still way off centered. Doesn't affect functioning but it is sure irritating.
Rinzler

Post by Rinzler »

Kodiak PA wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:42 pm
Both my Autonomy 2's have been off centered. In fact the second one I bought was through GP Knives and they inspected every model they had in stock and they were all off centered. The one they sent me was the best one and it is still way off centered. Doesn't affect functioning but it is sure irritating.
Have you tried to fix it?
Kodiak PA

Post by Kodiak PA »

Have you tried to fix it?
[/quote]
Yes I did after I reviewed your recommendation. It’s better but still off some. I appreciate your advice. I’m less irritated. Interestingly I can get it centered better by tightening the second screw closest to the deployment button but then I can’t activate the safety. As I back off the torque to activate the safety it moves the blade off center more but it’s still a bit better than it was. Thank you.
jegred2

Post by jegred2 »

I’ve found it impossible to center the blade on either of mine. It’s because the spring is so strong. If it wasn’t an auto it would have bothered me, but it’s something that I’m ok with now since it fires so nicely.
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

One thing I've found that might be helpful is to adjust the blade tension with the blade open. Get it exactly where you want it--tight enough to eliminate play but loose enough to fire smoothly--and then close it. Coil springs under tension apply lateral pressure, so centering the blade when the knife is closed can be finicky.

I hope this helps.

Stay safe,

Mike