assembly of the autonomy 2

Discussion of Restricted Models by Spyderco.
Knightwolf71

assembly of the autonomy 2

Post by Knightwolf71 »

I have had my autonomy 2 for a little over a year and had decided it was time for a deep clean. It came apart easy enough and I know how to reassemble it but with my sausage size fingers, the spring just comes undone and throws things everywhere. is there a trick to this. maybe a video link out there that could help me? Thanks
sal

Re: assimbly of the autonomy 2

Post by sal »

Hi Knightwolf,

Welcome to our forum.

We use special fixture to assemble the unit.

sal
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Reassembling isn't easy even with the little tool that comes in the spring kit. I have done two, and especially one of them was very stubborn. I wouldn't disassemble one unless it was broken.
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Yeah I took mine apart because curiosity got the best of me. It's been over a year or I'd try to help explain putting it back together. I didn't have the tool either.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Knightwolf71

Post by Knightwolf71 »

well, it was worth a try. thanks anyways i will just keep fighting with it
VashHash

Re: assembly of the autonomy 2

Post by VashHash »

I broke my spring yesterday and it took maybe 5 minutes to change out. When you put the spring in it is not tensioned. Then you use that little key to torque it back and put the screw in. Of course if you don't have that special key I could see this being difficult. The instructions are pretty clear and include pictures. The spring kits are fairly priced for what you get in them. I didn't tear the whole knife down though. Just replaced the coil spring.
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

VashHash wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:50 am
I broke my spring yesterday and it took maybe 5 minutes to change out. When you put the spring in it is not tensioned. Then you use that little key to torque it back and put the screw in. Of course if you don't have that special key I could see this being difficult. The instructions are pretty clear and include pictures. The spring kits are fairly priced for what you get in them. I didn't tear the whole knife down though. Just replaced the coil spring.
Do you know, could you tell how the spring failed?
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

It snapped somewhere in the coils. But I did open and close it a lot just for fun. It's also been in Salt water but I didn't see corrosion or anything. I'll have to look at it more closely when I get home.

I've broken a protech spring before too. Of course I had over tightened the pivot and also opened and closed that one a lot.

I purchased the spring repair kits as soon as i bought the knife. Also I purchased it used but not sure how many times they cycled it.

Either way I knew the spring wouldn't last forever. Kinda wish I had counted how many times I cycled it but it was definitely hundreds of times. Still have 3 more springs.
Rinzler

Post by Rinzler »

Knightwolf71 wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:51 am
well, it was worth a try. thanks anyways i will just keep fighting with it
Do you have the spring kit?
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

Vash, what sort of maintenance do you perform on yours mechanism wise?
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

bearrowland wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:45 am
Vash, what sort of maintenance do you perform on yours mechanism wise?
I blow it out every now and then with compressed air. I usually oil the pivot area and I oil the spring through the holes through the module.
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

Thanks Vash!
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

VashHash wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:05 pm
It snapped somewhere in the coils. But I did open and close it a lot just for fun. It's also been in Salt water but I didn't see corrosion or anything. I'll have to look at it more closely when I get home.

I've broken a protech spring before too. Of course I had over tightened the pivot and also opened and closed that one a lot.

I purchased the spring repair kits as soon as i bought the knife. Also I purchased it used but not sure how many times they cycled it.

Either way I knew the spring wouldn't last forever. Kinda wish I had counted how many times I cycled it but it was definitely hundreds of times. Still have 3 more springs.
Thanks.