Spyderco Autonomy Questions

Discussion of Restricted Models by Spyderco.
Hale Storm

Spyderco Autonomy Questions

Post by Hale Storm »

So I've seen there are 4 versions of this knife.

1. The Autonomy 2 in black G10 and stonewash with LC200 steel, plain edge. Looks like a Manix 2 XL handle shape. Leaf blade shape.
2. The Autonomy 2 in all black with black DLC coated blade. Sheepsfoot blade in H1 steel. WITH a safety lock.
3. The Autonomy 2 in Orange G10. Sheepsfoot blade in H1 steel. WITH a safety lock.
4. The Autonomy in Orange G10. COAST GUATD ISSUE. Sheepsfoot blade in H1 steel. WITHOUT a safety lock.

I've seen the C165GSOR (Orange with no lock) passed off as the Coast Guard version. The box says C165GSOR.
But, I've seen the C165GSORCG with the CG on the end of the model version. I've even seen the CG version with a pocket clip. The box says C165GSORCG
I know some Coast Guard versions were released in the wild by mistake and an effort made to replace them with the lock version.
So was there a non lock civilian version released with a pocket clip or was there a Coast Guard version released with a pocket clip?
Enlighten me on the difference between the GSOR and the GSORCG versions.
Hale Storm

Re: Spyderco Autonomy Questions

Post by Hale Storm »

I was hoping a Spydie fan would clear this up rather quickly, or Mr. Glesser could just tell me what I have found. Interesting to note. I came to the Spyderco forum looking for specific answers about a Spyderco knife that is quite unusual compared to most and have had zero replies.

Luckily I have a son in the Coast Guard and had a chance to ask him. He is an MES (8th year in), and actually asked me how I managed to get a Coast Guard issued knife?
He's not quite as educated as most of us knife knuts but he has seen this knife in around while on duty.

What I think I have is a Coast Guard designated Spyderco Autonomy (Orange) that was shipped to a small local dealer by mistake. The dealer was not aware that the model was LE or Military only and they tagged it with a price tag and bar code as a C165GSOR which would be the civilian version with the lock on the release button. The label on the box from Spyderco says C165GSORCG (Coast Guard) which I believe dedicates this knife as the one made for Military and Law Enforcement and not issued to civilians. I'm not sure I have this right.
I'm just looking for confirmation on how rare this knife is out in the wild.
If it's a rare Spydie, then I'm going to sell or offer up for trade for something else I need. If it's just a normal autonomy without the lock and the CG designation doesn't mean anything, then I'll start using it for some of my outdoor tasks or may trade it anyway for something else I need.

Hopefully someone can chime in and help. My internet searches have yielded multiple stories on the Coastie version vs. civilian versions, etc.

Thanks in advance if you can help.
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

Hi, Hale Storm:
Welcome to our forum. The USCG Autonomy (C165GSORCG) does not have a safety or a pocket clip. They aren't rare - just not intended for civilian carry. It was the first Autonomy and it was purposely designed for USCG vertical insertion divers. It meets their mission requirements as well as the carry method (in a pouch with a long lanyard line attached).

There are four Autonomy SKUs. 3 versions of the original Autonomy and 1 version of the Autonomy 2:
C165GSORCG - USCG version - Autonomy with H-1 blade, orange G-10, no safety, and no pocket clip.
C165GSOR - Autonomy with H-1 blade, orange G-10 with a safety and pocket clip
C165GSBBK - Autonomy with H-1 blade with black DLC, black G-10 with a safety and pocket clip
C165GP2 - Autonomy 2 has an LC200N blade, black G-10 with a safety and pocket clip

It's unfortunate that you received the USCG version as it really isn't intended for civilian carry - something we'll look into here to ensure it doesn't happen again.

As for the timing on the forum, it's likely that your thread was just simply overlooked. I'm going to move this thread into the appropriate area of our forum (Restricted Models).

We hope you enjoy your time with us.

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
Hale Storm

Post by Hale Storm »

Thank you Kristi. It looks like I may have had to wait for my post to be reviewed and posted since I'm new here.

Actually been lurking for a while and decided to join to get my questions answered. Huge Spyderco fan and user/collector. Several PM2's, Manix 2, Pacific Salt, Ladybug, Bug, and Native 5. Currently looking for a Shaman Exclusive and may trade the GSORCG for a GSOR if I can. I have an unused pocket clip from somewhere on an old Spydie that I pimped and it fit perfectly on the GSORCG.

I have seen your posts here many times so thank you for answering my question. I'm honored to have someone so famous reply to my post.

I don't consider it unfortunate that I received the CG model. I'm as educated as the next guy I guess and have a son currently in CG law enforcement so I knew exactly what I was buying.

Thanks again.

Ronnie