A Spyderco OTF?

Discussion of Restricted Models by Spyderco.
SpyderEdgeForever

Re: A Spyderco OTF?

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

With all respect granted to people's opinions, why in the world would you want an out the front blade when you can have something much better like the upcoming Caly 3.5 Light Weight, which will have a perfectly utilitarian blade that is sharper than a dragon's fang, has a comfortable and durable handle, and can open just as fast in the right hands and be much more reliable than an OTF? :) Are there cutting circumstances where an OTF may save time and save a life more than a Caly 3.5 ?
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 10:36 am
With all respect granted to people's opinions, why in the world would you want an out the front blade when you can have something much better like the upcoming Caly 3.5 Light Weight, which will have a perfectly utilitarian blade that is sharper than a dragon's fang, has a comfortable and durable handle, and can open just as fast in the right hands and be much more reliable than an OTF? :) Are there cutting circumstances where an OTF may save time and save a life more than a Caly 3.5 ?
I guess if you can't let a blade swing open and the only a way to open it would be out the front. Hard to really say what would save a life in what situation. But if you use an OTF it's ready to cut as soon as you actuate it. Especially the top slide models. I feel like I could draw, open, cut, close, and pocket an otf faster than most conventional folders because I'm not changing my grip. Of course anything is possible. Some shooters can fire guns at machine gun rate but with better accuracy in semi auto.

Anything mechanical can fail though and that includes any folding knife. Wouldn't any light weight fixed blade be better than a caly? Quicker to use and more sturdy.
michaelm466

Post by michaelm466 »

I'm all for a Spyderco OTF- the fact that Microtech, Pirahna, protech are mostly OTFs (plus Hogue and Benchmade have a few) and seem to be doing well shows there is a market for higher end OTFs. I have 3 Microtechs (1 OTF, 1 Side Opening Auto, and 1 Manual) the OTF/Auto buttons are extremely hard to open, like 20-25lbs of pressure- which make them safer since they don't have a safety button, but I don't carry them often either because there's no opening them if your hands are damp/wet or slick at all. I do like their designs though. I also have an H&K (made by Benchmade) OTF which I really like (sadly discontinued and harder to find) which also doesn't have a safety is much easier to open, but never had it open accidently either. The thing that really turns me off of several OTF designs are their blade to handle ratio (large handle and a small thin blade (think Benchmade 4700 Precipice) I much prefer the best blade to handle ration I can get. I like OTF's because they can offer (in double edge form) so much cutting edge, you can have a full serrated edge and a full PE in one small package, or 2 standard knives worth of cutting edge. Also see Bladehq's ultratech test to see how durable they can be as well. Also like folders I prefer OTF's in a 3.5-4" blade. SE or DE.

ETA: had both my OTFs for 5 years or longer and never had either fail to fire open unless actually trying to make it fail to show somebody how it can open directly into somebody's head or chest like in the movies. A sturdy piece of paper will stop it from opening completely. It's just as easy to get it back on the tracks and working good as new after an induced failure.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Ric wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 7:53 am
OTFs are legal in Austria!

I do not carry one because it's too heavy and also it might trigger more interest as I'd like to have.
Just checked that, and, well, you are right, and I was wrong ;) . Only thing is: You have to be at least 18 to purchase (carry?) an OTF in Austria.

Thanks for the correction!
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
With all respect granted to people's opinions, why in the world would you want an out the front blade when you can have something much better like the upcoming Caly 3.5 Light Weight... ?
Just because you want one.

I own a lot of knives, and there is still some giggle factor in the OTF that can't be replaced.

In the end, these are all first world problems. We want OTF's because we want OTF's. It's really as simple as that.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

TomAiello wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 11:31 am
SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
With all respect granted to people's opinions, why in the world would you want an out the front blade when you can have something much better like the upcoming Caly 3.5 Light Weight... ?

I own a lot of knives, and there is still some giggle factor in the OTF that can't be replaced.

In the end, these are all first world problems. We want OTF's because we want OTF's. It's really as simple as that.
I think that is a great reason and I am all for it if Spyderco were to produce one. Their's would be really good, too.

The next questions are (and I would welcome all of your views on this):

1 What steel would you prefer, out of the presently-available steel alloys?
2 Would you want the handle system to be FRN or G10 or something else like reinforced aluminum alloy?
3 What blade shape would best suit it? Perhaps a full flat or a saber ground type thing?
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

TomAiello wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 10:28 am
Deacon, have you handled the D Rocket OTF? I have that one and it's a "legal to carry" (sub 3") length for a lot of places. Plus, it's m390, which I love.

It's still in the "box with blade" category, but it has these super fine micro grip lines that actually improve the grip ergonomics quite a lot.

Plus, it's a designer Spyderco has already run a collaboration with, which makes it a good place to look for a collab design in the future.

I own a small (less than ten) number of OTFs, and I've definitely developed a preference for a single edge for EDC (better slicing) which means the only one that really gets any EDC time at this point is a Microtech single edge. I just have a lot of trouble using the thick double edge grinds for some of my common EDC tasks (cutting an apple, for example, becomes an exercise akin to splitting a log).

Yep, I have one in front of me as I type this. Excellent knife for days I need to go into G'ville.
TomAiello wrote:
SpyderEdgeForever wrote:

Exactly. Same reason I own a roadster when I have a perfectly good "sensible" SUV. It's not an either/or proposition.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I'd love a design like this. 2 edges in 1 knife. Not your typical double edge OTF. Twice the utility in my opinion.
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 1:51 am
Even in Austria, where I live and knife-laws are still really liberal, this would be about the only kind of pocket knife I could NOT carry legally...
I have to ask you why? Maybe your wife has forbidden it but not the Austrian law ... :p
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
eRoc

Post by eRoc »

Otf's are the only knives in my collection I can operate easily with either hand without any practice or it being awkward. Sometimes I like to carry my ultratech in my back left pocket(I'm right handed). I can operate my compression locks or back locks with my left hand, but it's quirky.

Then there's my wife and her nails. She can't operate compression locks because her nails prevent her from reaching the tab/button unless she uses the tip of her nail which makes her grip awkward. She can't work my Embassy auto because the button is recessed and you need to use your thumb tip, not the pad of your thumb. Her nails prevent accessing the button with her thumb tip. She doesn't like liner locks, so she sticks with back locks (Delicas). I'm not sure if it's because of her nails or lack of thumb dexterity, but she has to open and close Delicas with two hands. Obviously for self defense scenarios this isn't ideal.

Otf's are dead simple for her to use, either hand(Utx-70, she doesn't have the thumb strength to trigger my Troodon). While this is a very specific niche, I think it's a valid one. We haven't tried a Smock yet with the button compression lock, so that may be an option.

If Spyderco made an otf with a lighter strength thumb switch, I'd probably buy 2 for me and 5 for her (she likes to keep a Delica in every purse) today, right now.
James Y

Post by James Y »

I'm sure that Spyderco would be fully capable of producing a quality OTF, but other than as a limited collectible item, I don't see much use for it. As already mentioned by others, automatic knives, including OTFs, are illegal in most places. And in use, I see no advantages and only disadvantages, such as a fouled mechanism.

I have seen a few OTF knives in movies, I'm pretty sure that one was a Microtech (IIRC, it was used by Ben Affleck for some utilitarian purpose, but I forgot which movie it was).

Jim
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

While I am sure there is some kind of market for OTF knives I don’t know how large it is or how long it will actually last. Seems a interesting kind of novelty item and I think although I don’t know that many of them are probably very well-made.

I guess my point is is that I am not sure why Spyderco would head off in that direction unless they perceive some interesting design qualities and ergonomics that I have no idea about.

I am not putting OTF knives down, I just personally don’t see the utility and the design even though there is a certain amount of fun factor.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Ric

Post by Ric »

Double edged blades are pretty illegal in many countries.

I prefer to be able to touch the spine of the blade.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Peter1960 wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 11:49 am
Wartstein wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 1:51 am
Even in Austria, where I live and knife-laws are still really liberal, this would be about the only kind of pocket knife I could NOT carry legally...
I have to ask you why? Maybe your wife has forbidden it but not the Austrian law ... :p
Hi Peter, I was totally wrong on that one, see my reply to Ric above... one just has to be at least 18 to purchase an OTF auto in Austria, that's all... I hope they won't change our great knife laws one day (I sometimes fear they will, since there seem to be a rising number of knife attacks lately...)

And: I would never get a wife who'd want to tell me what kind of knife to carry... ;)
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 1:42 pm
Hi Peter, I was totally wrong on that one, see my reply to Ric above...
I stand corrected, sorry, I totally overlooked your reply.
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Peter1960 wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 2:25 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 1:42 pm
Hi Peter, I was totally wrong on that one, see my reply to Ric above...
I stand corrected, sorry, I totally overlooked your reply.
No need to be sorry, you just were a bit later than Ric to thankfully correct me!
I really was of the opinion, that about the only non legal folder in Austria would be an OTF, now I know better! :) (though still I personally am not interested in that kind of knife)
Tims

Post by Tims »

I don’t know why I tease myself with these threads. I’ve been fascinated by OTF autos since I was a kid. Alas, I’m in Australia so no go for me but I hope Spyderco produces one for those who can still have them.
I reckon an frn lightweight model would be very cool. Classic ‘Spyderco’ and might keep costs down. It would really stand out in the sea of aluminium handled knives in this class.
Goodluck
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

MichaelScott wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 8:37 am
Why? OTFs in general. Novelty? Tacti-cool? Fright factor? Movies and TV are going to love them especially in the hands of the bad and evil.

Other than novelty, I just don’t see the point.
To annoy your girlfriend by movie evening.You do this at your own risk,of course.
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Speaking to the remarks about people’s reactions to OTF my boss often carries a microtech with the button that handles it coming out and going back in, it is pretty neat.

First reaction it not Squimish most people say the following.

1. Is that legal

Followed by

2. Can I try that

Followed by wow has that ever opened in your pocket?

Followed by

3. How much do they cost and how can I get one.

These are also carried by people in the special ops community I serve and are favored quite a bit.
hambone56rx

Post by hambone56rx »

MichaelScott wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 8:37 am
Why? OTFs in general. Novelty? Tacti-cool? Fright factor? Movies and TV are going to love them especially in the hands of the bad and evil.

Other than novelty, I just don’t see the point.
Necessary? Is carrying 3 knives necessary? Negative! But mainly because WE CAN and WE LIVE IN AMERICA! :D i also like to fidget with them at my desk! Adult fidget spinner! ;)

Seriously I always rotate which spyderco I carry everyday, but I always have my Microtech in my back pocket! A Spycerco OTF would be LEGIT!!!

Hamilton