Is the Autonomy 2 a true Salt Model?

Discussion of Restricted Models by Spyderco.
The Meat man

Is the Autonomy 2 a true Salt Model?

Post by The Meat man »

Pardon me if this has been asked before.

Is the new LC200N Autonomy truly a Salt model? Are the liners and internals all rust proof (like the Caribbean), or does it just have a rust proof blade?

Thanks!
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Evil D

Re: Is the Autonomy 2 a true Salt Model?

Post by Evil D »

I would assume it's built to the same standards as the original Autonomy which is full Salt-ified. I doubt they would put a "rust proof" steel in a knife that isn't also rust proof.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Evil D wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 6:08 pm
I would assume it's built to the same standards as the original Autonomy which is full Salt-ified. I doubt they would put a "rust proof" steel in a knife that isn't also rust proof.

That's what I would've thought. I was curious because with the Autonomy there are a lot more internals to consider than the other Salt knives.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

The Meat man wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 8:18 pm
Evil D wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 6:08 pm

That's what I would've thought. I was curious because with the Autonomy there are a lot more internals to consider than the other Salt knives.
If you don't know, look into the lock mechanism. It was designed to be serviced without talking apart the knife. It's a really clever design.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

It's also the same rust resistant spring set up from the first autonomy. In the pamphlet that came with my autonomy 2 it says to rinse with fresh water after being used in and around salt water and dry and lubricate. Which to me makes it seem like it's designed to be used in that capacity.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

VashHash wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 7:41 am
It's also the same rust resistant spring set up from the first autonomy. In the pamphlet that came with my autonomy 2 it says to rinse with fresh water after being used in and around salt water and dry and lubricate. Which to me makes it seem like it's designed to be used in that capacity.

I see. Then perhaps it's not quite up to the Seki Salt standards ?
- Connor

VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I rinse out my salt knives after a day at the beach but that's because they get sandy. I would definitely rinse the autonomy too because debris could get in the knife and mechanism. I don't think they make a rust impervious spring set up yet. So that's probably the part that would be the most problematic.

The spring module has holes in it and I could see sand and debris possibly getting in there. Saltwater evaporating and leaving salt deposits is possible and would be bad. So it's definitely not an unlined FRN handle with very few steel parts.

The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

VashHash wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 7:52 am
I rinse out my salt knives after a day at the beach but that's because they get sandy. I would definitely rinse the autonomy too because debris could get in the knife and mechanism. I don't think they make a rust impervious spring set up yet. So that's probably the part that would be the most problematic.

The spring module has holes in it and I could see sand and debris possibly getting in there. Saltwater evaporating and leaving salt deposits is possible and would be bad. So it's definitely not an unlined FRN handle with very few steel parts.

Do those holes go all the way through the part, or are they blind holes meant to be engaged by a special driver to remove the spring cassette?
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Yes they go all the way through. If you look closely at the picture you can see the actual spring. I think that was done so it could be rinsed out. The product information pamphlet refers to it as a corrosion resistant coil spring.
youmakemehole

Post by youmakemehole »

on top of the nice corrosion resistant and ease of use features it's also just got the quickest and most snappy action of any button lock of that size. hte action compared to other production autos is just totally in a class of its own no doubt about it. the best part of the knife doesnt have to do with the lock though imo. its the grind. its better than the endura, pm2, even the delica. but you know you can throw quite a bit more at the autonomy's blade compared to the delica. I daresay the grind is even better than the police 4, which I recently picked up. its a tad thinner, mine measures 2.8mm vs the police at 2.9, and I can say I like how it slices better for sure.
"Sometimes I think that we're all little kids trying to act like grown ups, in our parents clothes. ;) "

-sal