Why so serious?

Discussion of Restricted Models by Spyderco.
BLUETYPEII

Why so serious?

Post by BLUETYPEII »

Done
Last edited by BLUETYPEII on Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:36 pm, edited 4 times in total.
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
ferider

Re: Why so serious?

Post by ferider »

BLUETYPEII wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:00 pm
...her and my uncle are typical unarmed Californians. ...
Just a side-note that there is nothing like this, even though politicians and Hollywood might make you think this.

1) the two big cities are very different from the rest of the state. More than 30% of the state is red.
2) I was sitting over beer with several "blue" photographer friends the other night. Turns out they all had guns at home.

Just saying.

Roland.
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

Done
Last edited by BLUETYPEII on Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
holeshot

Post by holeshot »

I consider myself a typical Californian and this is my typical EDC. :)
E358ADB6-9EE3-45EB-8515-5F06A4A87A4D.jpeg
"No matter where you go, there you are"
James Y

Post by James Y »

I'm a Californian and always carry whatever knives I want. Sure, there are people who are 'unarmed' (or better put, simply don't carry knives or firearms), but California doesn't have a monopoly in that regard. I'm pretty certain that in most states, the majority of people most likely don't carry knives at all.

Jim
ferider

Post by ferider »

BLUETYPEII wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:58 pm
ferider wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:23 am
BLUETYPEII wrote:
...her and my uncle are typical unarmed Californians. ...
Just a side-note that there is nothing like this, even though politicians and Hollywood might make you think this.

Just saying.

Roland.
What exactly do you mean?
Just that I am Californian and don't like to be put in the same bucket :) No worries though ....
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

BLUETYPEII wrote:
I personally think restricting auto knives is a childish ploy by the government to make people think they are safer than they actually are.

Case in point. My aunt was visiting from California last month, her and my uncle are typical unarmed Californians. I was showing my father an auto knife I had recently acquired and my aunt asked “are those illegal here“ I told her no they are not you can pretty much carry any knife in this state.

I happen to have my PM2 also. So I showed her the auto knife deploying and the PM2 deploying with a thumb flick and asked her if one was any more intimidating than the other. She agreed that the auto knife was not any more intimidating or scary than the PM2.

This really says it all making auto knives illegal is foolish in my opinion.

You can deploy either with a negligible difference in deployment speed.

Yes, it's foolish that some states and the Federal government continue ban automatic knives. Aside from being the product of racist rhetoric that would not fly today, 60+ years of knife development have resulted in knives that can be opened just as fast, without the added complexity of an automatic.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

Done
Last edited by BLUETYPEII on Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

holeshot wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:26 pm
I consider myself a typical Californian and this is my typical EDC. :) E358ADB6-9EE3-45EB-8515-5F06A4A87A4D.jpeg
Hey, Holeshot:

Good on ya...

Who made your blackjack? Very nice work...

Stay safe,

Mike
holeshot

Post by holeshot »

Michael Janich wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:27 am
holeshot wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:26 pm
I consider myself a typical Californian and this is my typical EDC. :) E358ADB6-9EE3-45EB-8515-5F06A4A87A4D.jpeg
Hey, Holeshot:

Good on ya...

Who made your blackjack? Very nice work...

Stay safe,

Mike
Mike, it is not a blackjack it’s what Scott Foster calls a cablejack. Instead of an inner spring he uses a cable and claims that it has twice the impact force. The model I have is called the Teamster. Scott does quality work at a reasonable price. :) Oh yeah, I’d love to get one of your modified Enduras when they’re available and please don’t limit notification about them to social media networks.
"No matter where you go, there you are"
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Thank you for the info, Holeshot! I appreciate it!

Stay safe,

Mike
Crux

Post by Crux »

Why are these knives restricted when NONE of them have been implicated in a crime? Maybe I'm missing something. :(
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
vivi

Post by vivi »

James Y wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:14 pm
I'm a Californian and always carry whatever knives I want. Sure, there are people who are 'unarmed' (or better put, simply don't carry knives or firearms), but California doesn't have a monopoly in that regard. I'm pretty certain that in most states, the majority of people most likely don't carry knives at all.

Jim
Where I live it seems the majority of adults have something clipped to their pocket. About 60% :D
:unicorn
James Y

Post by James Y »

Vivi wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:28 am
James Y wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:14 pm

Jim
Where I live it seems the majority of adults have something clipped to their pocket. About 60% :D
Around here, it's not uncommon for me to randomly spot the following types of knives while out and about:

Buck 110 in belt holster.
Various Kershaws clipped.
Various Benchmades clipped.
Various Spydercos clipped.
Some cheapos clipped.
Very rarely, I've spotted an Emerson clipped here and there.
Leatherman tools in belt holster.

I can't say what percentage it is...certainly not 60%...but there are enough people out here who EDC some type of knife or tools with blades. And that doesn't count the ones who most likely carry a knife down in-pocket, whether a 'traditional' pocketknife or SAK, or a one-handed knife carried clipless. I carry at least 3 knives on me every day. I know a couple others who do, too. And if we do, then you can be sure others do it, too. Yes, even in CA.

Jim
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

Done
Last edited by BLUETYPEII on Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

BLUETYPEII wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 3:32 pm
Yes I do understand that not all Californians are unarmed. However the facts are the facts and there are people such as my aunt and uncle that walk around with no knife, gun or any other kind of weapon in the state of California.

I mean no insult and I’m not trying to categorize any of you into any specific slot. I was just trying to make a point that seems lost on a few of you.

My apologies.

I regret ever creating this post, if I could delete it I would! :mad:
Hi, BLUETYPEII:
We don't normally delete posts as we try to be as transparent as possible. There are only a couple of exceptions, but this thread does not fall under those exceptions. I think it's been a good discussion and others can likely learn from it too. I've revised the thread title back to its original title accordingly.

I would only add a suggestion to remember that our forum community is comprised of a wide variety of people from all around the globe. Broad brush strokes typically paint more than we want, and the same can be said for broad statements about groups of people. I understand what you were trying to say, but I understand the concerns that followed as well. I think everyone handled it all pretty well.

Make it a good day.

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.