Why the "Restricted Models" section?

Discussion of Restricted Models by Spyderco.
The Meat man

Why the "Restricted Models" section?

Post by The Meat man »

TazKristi wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:02 pm

...Since it's an automatic, I'm going to move this thread to our Restricted Models area...

Kristi
(I copied this from another thread to avoid going off topic.)

This brings up a question that I've wanted to ask for a while - why is there a separate forum for autos/restricted knives? I don't understand why the two topics (autos versus manuals) have to be separated. Or maybe I'm missing something?

My apologies if this question has been answered here before.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
MattM68

Re: Why the "Restricted Models" section?

Post by MattM68 »

I was wondering this the other day. I would think anything related to a Spyderco knife would fit the definition of “general discussion”. I would like to see more discussion about the restricted models. We don’t seem to get much traffic in this section of the forum. I think we’d see more interest in automatic knives and balisongs if the discussion were allowed in the general section.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

MattM68 wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:27 pm
I was wondering this the other day. I would think anything related to a Spyderco knife would fit the definition of “general discussion”. I would like to see more discussion about the restricted models. We don’t seem to get much traffic in this section of the forum. I think we’d see more interest in automatic knives and balisongs if the discussion were allowed in the general section.

My thoughts exactly.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Sjucaveman

Post by Sjucaveman »

Not to mention, nearly every spyderco model is a restricted model in some country, state, or city.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Adam
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Hey, All:

A number of years ago, Spyderco experienced some legal challenges regarding our sale of balisongs. Although that issue was resolved, we prefer to be extra diligent in our approach to the production and sale of automatic knives, balisongs, and any other items that could be interpreted under the Federal Switchblade Law. Discussing such products in a dedicated forum allows us to maintain a keen focus.

Thanks for your understanding.

Stay safe,

Mike
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Thanks for the reply Mr Janich.
- Connor

steeljustice

Post by steeljustice »

I feel it's big mistake it just reduces the forum members from viewing the subjects, there knives being assisted opening or gravity or just spring loaded automatic there really just knives.
fixall

Post by fixall »

steeljustice wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:51 pm
I feel it's big mistake it just reduces the forum members from viewing the subjects, there knives being assisted opening or gravity or just spring loaded automatic there really just knives.
Yea... but depending on the size, assisted knives and gravity knives are legal in all states.

Automatic knives are illegal in about 30 states regardless of size.

Between pining over things I can’t have and watching the general forum blow up with knife politics over automatics, I think I’d rather the automatic discussion stay here.
gigem95

Post by gigem95 »

fixall wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:00 pm
Yea... but depending on the size, assisted knives and gravity knives are legal in all states.

Between pining over things I can’t have and watching the general forum blow up with knife politics over automatics, I think I’d rather the automatic discussion stay here.
I realize I'm a bit late to this discussion, but where did you find that automatic knives are illegal "in about 30 states?" From this website, it looks like there are only about 10 states that ban automatics outright. https://www.akti.org/state-laws-regarding-automatics/
fixall

Post by fixall »

gigem95 wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:46 am
fixall wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:00 pm

I realize I'm a bit late to this discussion, but where did you find that automatic knives are illegal "in about 30 states?" From this website, it looks like there are only about 10 states that ban automatics outright. https://www.akti.org/state-laws-regarding-automatics/
You know, I'm not sure where I got that number. I'm thinking I must have read the map wrong (I think I was looking at the same link you posted).

On the plus side... Automatic knives were just ok'ed by the Washington State House. Now to get it through the Senate.
gigem95

Post by gigem95 »

fixall wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:22 pm
You know, I'm not sure where I got that number. I'm thinking I must have read the map wrong (I think I was looking at the same link you posted).

On the plus side... Automatic knives were just ok'ed by the Washington State House. Now to get it through the Senate.
No worries, there is so much information out there it's easy to get mixed up. I just wanted to be sure I had it all right. :)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

To be fair I don't recall much discussion about them before this sub forum was created. If anything this creates a place to focus the discussion in and makes keeping track of topics much easier.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David