Please a double action knife!

Discussion of Restricted Models by Spyderco.
Spydermane

Please a double action knife!

Post by Spydermane »

Spyderco is the only brand(that comes to mind)where a double action knife would make perfect sense!
A automatic where the Spydy Hole isn't just for looks!

Skip the out the fronts
knivesandbooks

Re: Please a double action knife!

Post by knivesandbooks »

1. I think this is the wrong subform.

2. This seems at odd with Spyderco's implied "simpler is better" design motif.

3. Probably a lot of legal reasons.

4. People already get mad at spydercos warranty people on here all the time. Imagine them when the springs start wearing on their autos.

5. Spyderco would be competing with Microtech, Protech, Benchmade, and Piranha. Probably a few more. It took these brands years to get established in this market. Idk how spyderco could just jump in.

6. I've noticed spyderco only likes jumping into something new if they have an innovative way to offer something new in that area. This seemingly would require a lot of research and development and a strong desire. Would that cost and initiative drain be worth it considering Spyderco's primary fan base? (Especially considering Spyderco's long efforts at creating a fan base in knife restrictive areas that would be left out of this).
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
Spydermane

Post by Spydermane »

knivesandbooks wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:09 pm
1. I think this is the wrong subform.

2. This seems at odd with Spyderco's implied "simpler is better" design motif.

3. Probably a lot of legal reasons.

4. People already get mad at spydercos warranty people on here all the time. Imagine them when the springs start wearing on their autos.

5. Spyderco would be competing with Microtech, Protech, Benchmade, and Piranha. Probably a few more. It took these brands years to get established in this market. Idk how spyderco could just jump in.

6. I've noticed spyderco only likes jumping into something new if they have an innovative way to offer something new in that area. This seemingly would require a lot of research and development and a strong desire. Would that cost and initiative drain be worth it considering Spyderco's primary fan base? (Especially considering Spyderco's long efforts at creating a fan base in knife restrictive areas that would be left out of this).
Are you talking about a "out the front knife"?
By double action I ment the kind of knife that operates either like a regular folder(single action) and/or a "automatic" knife(would make it double action)

As for legal issue.
Has anyone in the knife industry considered 80% part kits?
Like how the gun industry currently implements?
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Spydermane wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:27 pm

Are you talking about a "out the front knife"?
By double action I ment the kind of knife that operates either like a regular folder(single action) and/or a "automatic" knife(would make it double action)

FWIW I thought double action referred to OTF's that both open and close automatically and dual action meant the type of knife you've described. Both get abbreviated to DA, so I know there's a lot of confusion as to what means what.

Spydermane wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:27 pm
As for legal issue.
Has anyone in the knife industry considered 80% part kits?
Like how the gun industry currently implements?

Different law, interpreted by a different agency, so no telling how an automatic knife kit that required end user machine work would fare. Doubt Spyderco would be willing to risk finding out.

FWIW, you might want to keep an eye on the Automatic Knives for Sale section of BladeForums Exchange. Spyderco Vallotton Sub Hilts converted to dual action by Butch Vallotton himself show up there occasionally.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

No thanks, the Autonomy and Sub Hilt are enough for me.
I don't like OTF knives either.

I really want to get a Sub Hilt customized by Mr. Vallotton.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
holeshot

Post by holeshot »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:47 am

I know I’m late to this post but I recently purchased a DA Sub Hilt from PVK and it is amazing! I have had no worries about caring it even though it’s not legal in CA. I’ve not had anybody figure out how to open it automatically without me showing them first. They are a little pricey but Butch’s conversation is top notch. All I have to do now is save up for the Lil Sub Hilt DA. :D
19298327-81CF-41D2-B7C4-AE8E705A9B27.jpeg
68B00C2D-5DB6-4F1C-8C57-211457A84DB2.jpeg
"No matter where you go, there you are"
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

holeshot wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:12 pm
Sumdumguy wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:47 am

I know I’m late to this post but I recently purchased a DA Sub Hilt from PVK and it is amazing! I have had no worries about caring it even though it’s not legal in CA. I’ve not had anybody figure out how to open it automatically without me showing them first. They are a little pricey but Butch’s conversation is top notch. All I have to do now is save up for the Lil Sub Hilt DA. :D 19298327-81CF-41D2-B7C4-AE8E705A9B27.jpeg68B00C2D-5DB6-4F1C-8C57-211457A84DB2.jpeg
I had mine converted at Vallotton. The knife was fantastic, but Butch doesn't do the conversions anymore, his kids have then sent out of state to be done. Terrible service, with poor communication.

It's nice to know they can be had from stores without dealing with Kyle. That is worth every penny.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson