How about a CA Legal Auto?

Discussion of Restricted Models by Spyderco.
ZrowsN1s

How about a CA Legal Auto?

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Hey Sal, I know it's a really small market, but how about a CA legal auto? A Sub 2 inch blade.
I've been wanting an auto for a while and the pickings are slim for quality when it comes to CA legal. Microtech made a nice one for a minute, but those are hard to come by and prohibitively expensive. A sub 2" blade balisong would also be welcome :D
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
The Deacon

Re: How about a CA Legal Auto?

Post by The Deacon »

I'm not Sal, but here's the problem I see with that. Being "CA legal" only means an automatic does not violate California state law. It doesn't make it legal for a manufacturer outside of CA to ship those knives to CA for sale to civilians. Spyderco would still be require to follow Federal law and try to insure that their dealers limited sales to military personnel and LEOs. That turns a small market into a microscopic market. I know other companies apparently "get away with it", but Spyderco's been badly burned once by the Feds, so they're not likely to risk it.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

The Deacon wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 1:59 am
I'm not Sal, but here's the problem I see with that. Being "CA legal" only means an automatic does not violate California state law. It doesn't make it legal for a manufacturer outside of CA to ship those knives to CA for sale to civilians. Spyderco would still be require to follow Federal law and try to insure that their dealers limited sales to military personnel and LEOs. That turns a small market into a microscopic market. I know other companies apparently "get away with it", but Spyderco's been badly burned once by the Feds, so they're not likely to risk it.
Shoot. I forgot about the importing situation. Oh well.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
CryptoOutlaw

Post by CryptoOutlaw »

I know automatics are considered other than legal in Illinois, so I just go out of state to Kentucky or Missouri and spend my tax money there. I thought this was supposed to be a free country. If I can carry a concealed 50AE Desert Eagle why can't I carry an out the front Microtech Troodon??
Flanker_27

Post by Flanker_27 »

If you can efficiently CC a Desert Eagle, I'm pretty much sure you can carry a dozen kitchen knives in their box as well without having them showing in any possible way :D

By the way, what are the Californian laws regarding auto knives, do they "just" have to be a blader shorter than 2", or are there other hoops to jump through? I'm not that familiar with knife laws.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Delete
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra