Canadian Knife laws on Autonomy and Balisong/Butterfly?

Discussion of Restricted Models by Spyderco.
SpyderEdgeForever

Canadian Knife laws on Autonomy and Balisong/Butterfly?

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

What are the Canadian rules on the Spyderco butterfly knives and automatic knives?
The Deacon

Re: Canadian Knife laws on Autonomy and Balisong/Butterfly?

Post by The Deacon »

What in the name of God makes you think Canada's total ban on automatic knives and balisongs would not apply to Spyderco's products?
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

lol
SpyderEdgeForever

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:What are the Canadian rules on the Spyderco butterfly knives and automatic knives?

I was wondering if Spyderco can ship a Canadian the disassembled kit, the handle slabs, pins or screws, and the blade, legally, and then the Canadian knife enthusiast can turn around and reassemble it for their own collection.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

SEF, would you please disassemble or cleverly disguise whatever you're having and send me some? :rolleyes:
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
SpyderEdgeForever

It was a sincere question, Bloke. I once read that countries that banned the importation of fully assembled switch blade and balisong knives at one time were allowing the disassembled parts in the form of kits to be received as long as they were in kit form.
Sirhawkntrowel

Post by Sirhawkntrowel »

I ordered two knives in late Jan, I just received a "Notice of Detention" letter from the Canadian Border Services Agency. From what I hear they'll most likely be confiscated. B&M shops are having troubles importing and prices are creeping up. I along with other collectors wrote our MP's trying to reverse this ban imposed solely by CBSA , these knives are still legal to buy and carry in Canada. We're a small number, I'm sure 99% of the people support the import ban. This is not looking good for knife enthusiasts in Canada.
flasharry

Post by flasharry »

There used to be a site that would sell Mikov auto kits and ship to Canada. They used to sheip the backspring as a separate item, labelled as machine tool parts. Not sure that would fly now...
"You never know what lonesome is, 'til you get to herdin' cows"
SpyderEdgeForever

Harry, what if a person were to write a long letter full of tears and emotional sadness to appeal to the "liberal sense of compassion" and say "Please, for my emotional stability and well-being I need to be able to own and carry a butterfly balisong knife. This is my security object and I know you are compassionate and loving and can understand and appreciate this." ?
flasharry

Post by flasharry »

Heh - and then the Thought Police would show up on your door to take you to "re-education camps"? :)
Seriously, I doubt that such a note would even get serious regard...

Personally, I can't see the appeal of a butterfly knife (but then I can't see the appeal of flicking knives open and shut when bored or doing nothing - your knife stays in your pocket until its needed, and goes back after whatever task is done, that's my $.06 ($.02 adjusted for inflation).
As for autos? Heck, some AO folders are just as fast on the open..
"You never know what lonesome is, 'til you get to herdin' cows"
man

Post by man »

"What in the name of God makes you think Canada's total ban on automatic knives and balisongs would not apply to Spyderco's products?"

What in the name of God makes you think "Canada's" laws apply to a man???
They only apply to "servants" of CANADA CORPORATION!!!!
Servants beg!!!!
A man does not go on bent knee, begging (please please}(appealing to a higher authority-which one?) for permission to perform a lawful act.
In my humble opinion, more appropriate action by a man, would be a trip to small claims court claiming damages for personal harm,