Why does Spyderco not make more autos?

Discussion of Restricted Models by Spyderco.
StuttgartMadness

Why does Spyderco not make more autos?

Post by StuttgartMadness »

Why hasn't Spyderco made more than one auto? Not saying the Autonomy is a bad knife, I love it! But why not offer it in more than a sheepsfoot serrated blade? This is a BIG market (especially with a few states recent repeal of the Switchblade Act, including Spyderco's home state, Colorado) that Spyderco has only one, specialized, offering in. I think this is a huge opportunity they are missing. Such as a Autonomy 2 with maybe a smaller blade, different blade styles, and top-notch steels like S35VN and S110V. Or maybe an edition to the Military/Para family with an auto version of each knife. The possibilities are endless! And an auto to go in the Value series in the long run would be a great adition as well IMHO...

Tell me what you think! Should Spyderco step up to the plate and make more autos? Would you buy one? I certainly would!

Anyway, cheers!
Currently lusting after the PM2 in S110V... And the Para 3... And the Military... And pretty much everything else...

"A man without a knife, is a man without a life"
-Anonymous (This guy has some great quotes)
TazKristi

Re: Why does Spyderco not make more autos?

Post by TazKristi »

Hi, StuttgartMadness:
Welcome to our forum. We hope you enjoy your time with us!

We're bound by federal law so oftentimes the changes made at a state level have less of an effect than one might realize (even our own state). We also have city and county laws to abide by as well. I think this discussion is fantastic though and I look forward to seeing others reply.

I'm going to move this thread into the Restricted Model Discussion area. We try to keep everything related to restricted models in one place. :)

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
StuttgartMadness

Thanks for the welcome :D
Currently lusting after the PM2 in S110V... And the Para 3... And the Military... And pretty much everything else...

The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

StuttgartMadness wrote:Why hasn't Spyderco made more than one auto?
The short, simple answer is "they have". The Autonomy isn't their first auto, merely their current one. In the past they made the Citadel, which came in two different sizes, the Embassy, and the Bi-Fold. Sad truth is that Federal restrictions, as interpreted by the Federal Circuit Court whose jurisdiction includes Colorado, make it difficult for Spyderco to sell automatics. That's probably the major reason the Embassy and Citadel are no longer in the lineup. The Bi-Fold was kind of a weird design, more of a novelty item than a tool, it probably would not have stayed around for long even if it had not been classified as an auto,
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
ConspicuousConsumption

Post by ConspicuousConsumption »

I second everything in the OP. I'd buy autos over anything else every day of the week.

Sal or Kristi, what's the delay with the black Autonomy? I've only seen orange in stock on the big sites.
The first time I saw a Spyderco was the early 90s at a knife shop in a mall. I can still see the SpydieHoles through that glass display cabinet. My parents wouldn't buy any of them for me... so now I buy them all. :spyder:
holeshot

Post by holeshot »

TazKristi wrote:Hi, StuttgartMadness:

We're bound by federal law so oftentimes the changes made at a state level have less of an effect than one might realize (even our own state). We also have city and county laws to abide by as well. I think this discussion is fantastic though and I look forward to seeing others reply.

I'm going to move this thread into the Restricted Model Discussion area. We try to keep everything related to restricted models in one place. :)

Kristi
Ok, I get the federal law thing. That being said, how does Benchmade, MicroTech,Protech etc get around the same restrictions or is more a local and state problem? :)
"No matter where you go, there you are"
StuttgartMadness

holeshot wrote:
TazKristi wrote:Hi, StuttgartMadness:

Kristi
Ok, I get the federal law thing. That being said, how does Benchmade, MicroTech,Protech etc get around the same restrictions or is more a local and state problem? :)
That's my question as well, Boker, Kershaw, and Schrade also make plenty of autos...

TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

I can't speak to other manufacturers and how they operate. I can really only say that we choose to follow the laws.

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
holeshot

Post by holeshot »

TazKristi wrote:I can't speak to other manufacturers and how they operate. I can really only say that we choose to follow the laws.

Kristi
OOOK, am I to understand that all these other manufacturers are choosing to violate the law? I'm having a hard time wrapping my mind around that concept. :confused:
Subverto

Post by Subverto »

holeshot wrote: Ok, I get the federal law thing. That being said, how does Benchmade, MicroTech,Protech etc get around the same restrictions or is more a local and state problem? :)
Currently in Colorado it is illegal for anyone to make, own, or possess an automatic knife. This includes manufacturers. BM, Microtech, and Protech are located in states where it isn't illegal to make automatic knives. Colorado's governor signed a bill in March removing the state ban on knives which goes into effect on August 9th. Effective August 9th it will no longer be illegal to make, own, or possess automatic knives. I would imagine at that time Spyderco will begin expanding their automatic knife line, since they'll legally be allowed to do so.
holeshot

Post by holeshot »

Welcome to the fourm subverto! Glad to hear the law in Colorado is changing. It's funny, here in California it's not illegal to own an automatic, it's just illegal to carry one unless you're LE or in the military. :mad:
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

holeshot wrote:
TazKristi wrote:I can't speak to other manufacturers and how they operate. I can really only say that we choose to follow the laws.

Kristi
OOOK, am I to understand that all these other manufacturers are choosing to violate the law? I'm having a hard time wrapping my mind around that concept. :confused:
You are assuming that Federal law is interpreted the same by all Federal courts, and that the other duties of all offices of the agency responsible for enforcing the Federal switchblade law allow them to assign the same amount of manpower to enforce it. Neither of those things are true.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Subverto

Post by Subverto »

holeshot wrote:Welcome to the fourm subverto!
Thanks! I just picked up my first Spyderco over the weekend (Black Para Military 2) and love it! I've lived right next to the Spyderco headquarters here in Golden, CO for 3 years now and figured it's about time I bought one of their knives. You guys seem to have a fantastic community here. I look forward to being a part of it.
holeshot

Post by holeshot »

Subverto, you have chosen wisely. Is that a Sig in your pic? My old eyes sometimes deceive me. :)
Subverto

Post by Subverto »

holeshot wrote:Subverto, you have chosen wisely. Is that a Sig in your pic? My old eyes sometimes deceive me. :)
That's my CZ 75 D PCR Compact. Stays on my hip all day every day. I think my new PM2 compliments it nicely :).

holeshot

Post by holeshot »

Very nice and they look great together! :)
Here's my EDC pic
image.jpeg
I rotate the Psalt and Delica.
StuttgartMadness

holeshot wrote:Welcome to the fourm subverto! Glad to hear the law in Colorado is changing. It's funny, here in California it's not illegal to own an automatic, it's just illegal to carry one unless you're LE or in the military. :mad:
I also heard (from a friend who is CA highway patrol) that even LE officers have to have a less than 2" blade on their autos...

embry386

Post by embry386 »

I love living in Arizona. There's almost no anti-knife laws here. The only law I can think of goes like this: if you're under 21, the only kind of knife you're allowed to conceal-carry is a folding pocketknife. Over 21 you can do whatever the heck you like. :cool:
ConspicuousConsumption

Post by ConspicuousConsumption »

I keep buying knives because the black Autonomy isn’t in stock!!
The first time I saw a Spyderco was the early 90s at a knife shop in a mall. I can still see the SpydieHoles through that glass display cabinet. My parents wouldn't buy any of them for me... so now I buy them all. :spyder:
StuttgartMadness

embry386 wrote:I love living in Arizona. There's almost no anti-knife laws here. The only law I can think of goes like this: if you're under 21, the only kind of knife you're allowed to conceal-carry is a folding pocketknife. Over 21 you can do whatever the heck you like. :cool:
It's even better her in Virginia, no knife laws whatsoever! We can carry whatever we want whenever we want XD (which works out great because I'm 15 LOL)