DLC Auto Collection

Discussion of Restricted Models by Spyderco.
hudsonhawk

DLC Auto Collection

Post by hudsonhawk »

Well I finally found it (them actually). All I ever wanted was a DLC Citadel and it took me a good while to find the exact one I wanted, in the right condition and the right price. Amazingly, a few days after I found the small one, I found its bigger brother for an even better deal. My knife buying budget for 2016 is already blown but it was worth it.

Thanks to all that posted pics of their Citadels to keep me motivated!

:spyder: :spyder: :spyder:
Most recently added and enjoying: CF Cruwear Manix 2 and LW Manix 2
Daily Carry: Blue CF Domino and well-loved Manix 2 LW.
holeshot

Re: DLC Auto Collection

Post by holeshot »

VERY nice! Now you got me thinking, I have a fair number of Spyderco folders but no autos. Guess I'm going to have remedy that. Finally got around to it a while back. :)
image.gif
Last edited by holeshot on Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"No matter where you go, there you are"
hudsonhawk

Post by hudsonhawk »

holeshot wrote:VERY nice! Now you got me thinking, I have a fair number of Spyderco folders but no autos. Guess I'm going to have remedy that.
If they're legal where you live, I highly recommend it. Currently the Autonomy (top knife pictured) is the only one in production, in black and orange, but the bottom two are Citadels, and they can be found on forums and such if you look long enough. Spyderco autos have some of the finest fit and finishes I've ever seen, as well as very strong deployments and satisfying lock-ups.
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Are the Citadels double action, as in able to open manually *or* automatically or is the Spydie hole just for looks?
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
holeshot

Post by holeshot »

It is my understanding that in California it's not illegal to own an auto only to carry one. I have mayby a dozen autos mostly Benchmade, Protech, Mikov and I do carry them on some occasions. Guess it's time for a Spiderco!
"No matter where you go, there you are"
hudsonhawk

Post by hudsonhawk »

Larry_Mott wrote:Are the Citadels double action, as in able to open manually *or* automatically or is the Spydie hole just for looks?
Larry,

They are not. I've noticed that most "plunger" or button lock style Autos are not, or maybe cannot be double action.

The Spyderhole on these is purely a trademark and design aesthetic.

To my knowledge, the only true D/A auto would be the Custom Valloton D/A conversion that Butch Valloton does himself on the Sub-Hilt. These are not truly factory Spydies though, so they really don't count.
hudsonhawk

Post by hudsonhawk »

holeshot wrote:It is my understanding that in California it's not illegal to own an auto only to carry one. I have mayby a dozen autos mostly Benchmade, Protech, Mikov and I do carry them on some occasions. Guess it's time for a Spiderco!
I don't know CA's laws offhand, but I would acquaint yourself very thoroughly with them before you decide to buy or carry them. If you can legally own them, Spydie Autos are fantastic.
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Hudsonhawk: Yeah, D/A seems to be a Vallotton "trademark" i have the Spyderco Vallotton D/A and had a Boker V&D as well and both were/are "Scale fired" :)
Was just curious re. the Citadel
Cheers!
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Camburt

Post by Camburt »

Awesome black knives.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Very nice. The Citadel has one of my favorite blade shapes. I'm always looking for a decent one for sale but until recently I couldn't carry one so I never looked too hard. Maybe I will now.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
hudsonhawk

Post by hudsonhawk »

Evil D wrote:Very nice. The Citadel has one of my favorite blade shapes. I'm always looking for a decent one for sale but until recently I couldn't carry one so I never looked too hard. Maybe I will now.
I very much agree. The overall design of the Citadel is just superb. I love the grooved aluminum handles and the blade shape (somewhat reminiscent of the ATR). Even if Spyderco was to release a manual folder Citadel I think it would be a hit.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

hudsonhawk wrote:
Evil D wrote:Very nice. The Citadel has one of my favorite blade shapes. I'm always looking for a decent one for sale but until recently I couldn't carry one so I never looked too hard. Maybe I will now.
I very much agree. The overall design of the Citadel is just superb. I love the grooved aluminum handles and the blade shape (somewhat reminiscent of the ATR). Even if Spyderco was to release a manual folder Citadel I think it would be a hit.
I would actually love to see a G10 manual Citadel. If it had contoured scales it would be even better.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Spydy33

Post by Spydy33 »

Those are looking very nice
hudsonhawk

Post by hudsonhawk »

Spydy33 wrote:Those are looking very nice
Thanks Spydy. I'm still hoping we see more one day. Especially since Colorado is legalizing autos.