USCG Orange Autonomy

Discussion of Restricted Models by Spyderco.
fellyjr

USCG Orange Autonomy

Post by fellyjr »

This knife fires like a rocket and the orange g10 is stunning. 2 thumbs up Sal!! :cool:

farnorthdan

Re: USCG Orange Autonomy

Post by farnorthdan »

Very nice, I have a black one but it would be nice to have the orange to go with it. Where did you snag that one?
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
fellyjr

Post by fellyjr »

farnorthdan wrote:Very nice, I have a black one but it would be nice to have the orange to go with it. Where did you snag that one?
let's just say i know a guy. ;)
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

Now that's what I'm talking about! Congratulations!
Have you joined Knife Rights yet?
Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.
fellyjr

Post by fellyjr »

Pinetreebbs wrote:Now that's what I'm talking about! Congratulations!
Thanks! I'm thoroughly enjoying it. I just can't get over the build quality. Everything about this knife screams quality, durability and reliability.
hudsonhawk

Post by hudsonhawk »

Nice felly! That's a great one to have, I'm sure there won't be many civilians with the CG version. I'm throughly enjoying my black one. Is the only difference the G10 color and lack of safety?
:spyder: :spyder: :spyder:
Most recently added and enjoying: CF Cruwear Manix 2 and LW Manix 2
Daily Carry: Blue CF Domino and well-loved Manix 2 LW.
fellyjr

Post by fellyjr »

hudsonhawk wrote:Nice felly! That's a great one to have, I'm sure there won't be many civilians with the CG version. I'm throughly enjoying my black one. Is the only difference the G10 color and lack of safety?
Thanks, I'm lovin' it!

It also doesn't come with a pocket clip because it was designed to fit inside a special pocket on the CG vest however the clip on the Manix 2 LW is the same one as used on the Autonomy and readily available at the SFO.
hudsonhawk

Post by hudsonhawk »

One thing that confuses me is that I'd expect Spyderco to have the NSN number engraved on the knife. This is common practice for most NSN listed knives and other combat tools. I noticed in the 2015 catalog that the Opfocus NSN listings did not include the Autonomy either, and Spyderco has several knives on the NSN list, although they don't advertise this as openly as some other companies. I'm sure the Autonomy is scheduled through the GSA but I'm curious if it has an NSN / NATO listing, and if so, what it is. I can't find it anywhere.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Very nice, felly! I'd always wanted to see one of the orange variations. :)
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
fellyjr

Post by fellyjr »

SpyderNut wrote:Very nice, felly! I'd always wanted to see one of the orange variations. :)
Thanks Michael! I'll tell you it's way better looking in person. ;)
fellyjr

Post by fellyjr »

hudsonhawk wrote:One thing that confuses me is that I'd expect Spyderco to have the NSN number engraved on the knife. This is common practice for most NSN listed knives and other combat tools. I noticed in the 2015 catalog that the Opfocus NSN listings did not include the Autonomy either, and Spyderco has several knives on the NSN list, although they don't advertise this as openly as some other companies. I'm sure the Autonomy is scheduled through the GSA but I'm curious if it has an NSN / NATO listing, and if so, what it is. I can't find it anywhere.
Maybe Sal could shed some light on the subject.
hudsonhawk

Post by hudsonhawk »

fellyjr wrote:
hudsonhawk wrote:One thing that confuses me is that I'd expect Spyderco to have the NSN number engraved on the knife. This is common practice for most NSN listed knives and other combat tools. I noticed in the 2015 catalog that the Opfocus NSN listings did not include the Autonomy either, and Spyderco has several knives on the NSN list, although they don't advertise this as openly as some other companies. I'm sure the Autonomy is scheduled through the GSA but I'm curious if it has an NSN / NATO listing, and if so, what it is. I can't find it anywhere.
Maybe Sal could shed some light on the subject.
That would be great. We have all anticipated this knife for so long I would love to hear any and all information about it and its development. I for one was pretty certian Spyderco had gotten out of the auto game for good after disco'ing the Citadel and Embassy (and Bi-Fold).

I know Kristi's role in OpFocus has her dealing with NATO/GSA type stuff so she may be able to weigh in too.
fellyjr

Post by fellyjr »

hudsonhawk wrote:I for one was pretty certian Spyderco had gotten out of the auto game for good after disco'ing the Citadel and Embassy (and Bi-Fold).
I sincerely hope the Autonomy isn't the last auto they plan on making. I'd love to see a PE version also in blue G10 with M390. ;)
hudsonhawk

Post by hudsonhawk »

fellyjr wrote:
hudsonhawk wrote:I for one was pretty certian Spyderco had gotten out of the auto game for good after disco'ing the Citadel and Embassy (and Bi-Fold).
I sincerely hope the Autonomy isn't the last auto they plan on making. I'd love to see a PE version also in blue G10 with M390. ;)
I hope so too. When the Citadel and Embassy came out, I was at a point in my life where that kind of money for a knife was nowhere near sensible or possible. Fortunately I can splurge every now and then now, and I bought an Autonomy the second they came out. My grail knife will always be a black embassy but for now the Autonomy is an absoulte masterpiece of engineering and production.

I am really hoping it is successful enough that they can play with some other blade styles, handle colors, etc. I'm with you, I'd like to see a PE version of this.
fellyjr

Post by fellyjr »

I've never owned an Embassy but I've had many Citadels. I hope to find an Embassy one of these days. They seldom seem to come up for sale.
hudsonhawk

Post by hudsonhawk »

fellyjr wrote:I've never owned an Embassy but I've had many Citadels. I hope to find an Embassy one of these days. They seldom seem to come up for sale.
I'd love a Citadel too. I've never had the pleasure of owning either. The black on black with the contoured handle is really nice looking. I rarely see those either but I'm always on the lookout.
fellyjr

Post by fellyjr »

hudsonhawk wrote:
fellyjr wrote:I've never owned an Embassy but I've had many Citadels. I hope to find an Embassy one of these days. They seldom seem to come up for sale.
I'd love a Citadel too. I've never had the pleasure of owning either. The black on black with the contoured handle is really nice looking. I rarely see those either but I'm always on the lookout.
You really can't go wrong with ANY Spyderco automatic. They're all very high quality knives. I'm especially fond of the Orange Autonomy!
hudsonhawk

Post by hudsonhawk »

I noticed you sold this, unless you have two ;)
endgame

Post by endgame »

**** love how the silver button pops out.u sold it!I have the black and use it spearfishing sometime I just like to cut old fishing line out of the snags just to use it.lol
346ci

Post by 346ci »

I collect the orange models, if anyone has a extra one of these, let me know.

I've seen a lot of models but never this one, didn't know they made autos either, very nice!
Looking for orange Spydercos