Fake Auto Valloton?

Discussion of Restricted Models by Spyderco.
gijoe945

Fake Auto Valloton?

Post by gijoe945 »

Dellsmart.com is selling auto Vallotons with the Spyderco warranty and boxes. They will be at the MidAmerica center this weekend, Council Bluffs, Iowa. Is this a legitimate business? I wouldnt think they would be warranted.
rycen

Re: Fake Auto Valloton?

Post by rycen »

I don't know anything about the business or site but at the price they're asking I don't think they'll they will sell many. Also I would imagine with the modification the warranty would be void.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

rycen wrote:I don't know anything about the business or site but at the price they're asking I don't think they'll they will sell many. Also I would imagine with the modification the warranty would be void.
Spyderco warranty may still be in the box, but it would definitely be void. As you noted, any modification voids their warranty and, given Spyderco's past legal problems with the SpyderFly, I seriously doubt they'd touch an aftermarket auto conversion of a Spyderco that was made overseas with a ten foot pole even if the owner was active duty military or law enforcement.

OTOH, since Butch Vallotton did the conversion, I would not be surprised if he would stand behind his work should the need for service arise. It would at least be worth contacting him if you're seriously interested in acquiring one.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

Butch stands behind his work.
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

That knife is a hoss, if you can get one done by Butch don't hesitate.

I met him at Blade last year and thanked him for the collaboration. His conversions are really smooth and double action so they work as an auto and can be opened and closed manually. They do come in the original Spyderco box with the material shipped from the factory.
Have you joined Knife Rights yet?
Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

rycen wrote:I don't know anything about the business or site but at the price they're asking I don't think they'll they will sell many. Also I would imagine with the modification the warranty would be void.
You would be correct. The Spyderco Warranty would be void on these.
There is nothing more important than this one day.