Citadel or Embassy?

Discussion of Restricted Models by Spyderco.
DasFriek

Citadel or Embassy?

Post by DasFriek »

No im not buying both, As i know its gonna be said. :)

I don't do auto's alot unless they really strike me or are somewhat on the low numbers list. But i have a few and these two from Spyderco really interest me.

My local shop had in a Citadel 92mm in all black and PE and i really liked how it felt in my hand. But they had just sold the Embassy they had so i couldn't compare the two side by side. But i was told it felt completely different being a few ounces lighter.
I also like the looks of the Embassy much better.
But i don't care much for a light weight auto as it don't like it feeling like its gonna fly out of my hand if i don't have a tight grip.

Looking at the blade styles the Embassy looks like it would be the better slicer with the high flat grind. But the two aren't all that much different blade wise tho.

Lastly, Grip material. I liked the Citadels scaled style handles, But the G10 on the Embassy should be grippier without needing the large scales and be more form fitting. I like the Embassy's frame design which seems to have a more full grip than the Citadels more curved handle.

So i guess my question would be is, Does the lighter weight of the Embassy make it feel too snappy and not as solid as the Citadel?

And from what ive said if i went with the Embassy which i like better in pictures would i like it over the Embassy in person?
DasFriek

Post by DasFriek »

Does anyone even buy Spyderco auto's?
I mean i never hear any talk about them like you do other companies auto's, But i figured that was due to them just getting into the market with these two new knives.

Im debating mentally if i should go buy the all black 92mm Citadel my local shop has today, But some answers here would have helped me decide if i should have waited until they get the Embassy back in stock.

So i guess if i bite ill post back what i bought and any thoughts, If not ill wait 2 weeks and wait for a new payday and go into it more informed.
Creepo

Post by Creepo »

This part of the forum is not very active and not too many own these automatics, since they are pretty heavily restricted by law. You might be able to get more answers on for example BladeForums which has a separate automatic section.

IMO since you have a chance of handling both, I'd say wait till they have both. Compare them side by side and then decide. You already listed speculations of the good and bad sides of both and your guess work is better than mine. ;)

Just hustle your local shop to get them back. I don't have a local shop and usually have to wait 2 weeks or more for a knife so your wait cannot be that bad, unless the folks at the shop are lazy. :p
DasFriek

Post by DasFriek »

Id ask at Blade Forums but i think ive almost answered most of my questions with a return trip to the shop. They didnt get the Embassy in to compare it with, But im rather sure i wouldnt have liked the light weight of the knife.
It may not have been bad tho since the Embassy is 72mm only and not 92mm optional on the Citadel.
Im gonna give this more thought as im not so sure i want another auto right now.
I appreciate the help alot tho :)
DaBird

Post by DaBird »

Hello Bro,
I have a 92mm Citadel on the way to me this week -- it will be my first :spyder: auto and I'll post a short review of it here after I get it.

Take care -- Bird
SQSAR

Post by SQSAR »

I have both a 92 Citadel and an all black PE Embassy. Both are nice, but both fill a slightly different niche for me. 1st let me say that if I had to choose only one, it would be the Embassy, hands down. It feels more robust in hand, despite its smaller size, and I 'feel' its a little better quality. I typically carry it as a pseudo gent's folder when I'm at work.

The Citadel is nice and light, and has a more utilitarian feel to it. I like the longer length for SD applications, should they arise. I typically carry the Citadel on the rare occasion when I'm in uniform, or on the not so rare occasion when I'm at work in 5.11s or BDUs.

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of autos. However, when I saw Spyderco was making them, I knew I had to have one (and eventually got two). I'm glad I did , because I feel they bring the Spyderco quality and design refinement to the auto table. You can't go 'wrong' with either one, but personally I like the Embassy better.
dsmegst

Post by dsmegst »

SQSAR wrote:I have both a 92 Citadel and an all black PE Embassy. Both are nice, but both fill a slightly different niche for me. 1st let me say that if I had to choose only one, it would be the Embassy, hands down. It feels more robust in hand, despite its smaller size, and I 'feel' its a little better quality. I typically carry it as a pseudo gent's folder when I'm at work.

The Citadel is nice and light, and has a more utilitarian feel to it. I like the longer length for SD applications, should they arise. I typically carry the Citadel on the rare occasion when I'm in uniform, or on the not so rare occasion when I'm at work in 5.11s or BDUs.

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of autos. However, when I saw Spyderco was making them, I knew I had to have one (and eventually got two). I'm glad I did , because I feel they bring the Spyderco quality and design refinement to the auto table. You can't go 'wrong' with either one, but personally I like the Embassy better.
I have a couple Spyderco autos but I have them as a part of the collection, not for use. But of the two designs, I prefer the Embassy. It fits my hands better and I love the two tone look.
Dan (dsmegst)

:spyder:
Latest 10: Techno, Centofante Memory, Bradley Air, Tuff, M390 Blue Para 2 (2), Yojimbo 2, Des Horn, DiAlex Junior, Native 5, Chaparral
:spyder:
docwatson

Post by docwatson »

citadel for me with the large blade, some kind of knife!
huthjonm

Embassy

Post by huthjonm »

First off, I'm in the military, so my use of Spyderco Restricted Models is completely legal.

I carried the black Embassy for a year in Iraq, and I absolutely love it. I don't have experience with the Citadel, but I wouldn't change the Embassy for the world.
MCM

Post by MCM »

Anyone know if these are being discontinued?
:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

At least you can get a Citadel...I would really love the 92mm one...but up here in Canada we aren't allowed autos at all. Really would like one though.
On the hunt for...
MCM

Post by MCM »

I have a feeling thee are going the way of the Dodo........
Just a feeling..........
TBob

Post by TBob »

I have both an Embassy and a 83 mm Citadel. From a military point of view, both are great knives, but the Embassy is my favorite. I like the general feel and the blade shape better, but both have great ergonomics. The Citadel seems more like a field knife and the Embassy a bit more refined. That said, I recommend handling both knives and seeing which fits your hand and needs better.
:spyder:: Advocate, Slysz Bowie Ti, Southard Black Blade, Stretch Carbon Fiber w/ZDP-189, Fluted Ti Native5, Terzuola Starmate, Terzuola SLIPIT, Leaf Storm, Gayle Bradley, Roadie, Chaparral CF, Chaparral Ti Stealth, Des Horn, Stretch FRN (Blue) ZDP-189, Centofante Memory, Military Black Blade CE, Delica4 FRN CE, Endura4 FRN Black Blade CE, Assist Orange FRN, Manbug ZDP-189, Ladybug 3 FRN SE, Delica4 Blue NLEOMF, Moran Drop Point BB, et al. :spyder: Spydie Fanatic #179 :spyder:
EricTheRed

Post by EricTheRed »

MCM,
Unfortunately according to Cutlery Shoppe the Citadel is set to be discontinued. I don't think they had any notes on the Embassy though.

**I wish I served for many reasons, including being able to carry these great knives
MCM

Post by MCM »

They just got a few of each in. Maybe the last few?
Am shocked these don't get more praise.
TBob

Post by TBob »

Laws being what they are, autos don't get much play these days outside of the military and LE communities. Both groups tend to hang out on their own forums rather than general public ones. I know that Spydies are well thought of on the military side. Word of mouth there goes a long way, as I'm sure is true on the LE side.
:spyder:: Advocate, Slysz Bowie Ti, Southard Black Blade, Stretch Carbon Fiber w/ZDP-189, Fluted Ti Native5, Terzuola Starmate, Terzuola SLIPIT, Leaf Storm, Gayle Bradley, Roadie, Chaparral CF, Chaparral Ti Stealth, Des Horn, Stretch FRN (Blue) ZDP-189, Centofante Memory, Military Black Blade CE, Delica4 FRN CE, Endura4 FRN Black Blade CE, Assist Orange FRN, Manbug ZDP-189, Ladybug 3 FRN SE, Delica4 Blue NLEOMF, Moran Drop Point BB, et al. :spyder: Spydie Fanatic #179 :spyder:
MCM

Post by MCM »

Reminiscent of late 90's Microtech's.
Highest praise I can give.
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

I recently purchased a 92mm plain blade Citadel. This was my first auto I've had in years. Had one in my younger days, and to be honest, don't remember what happened to it. Gotta hold on to these bad boys when opening. Mine was VERY sharp from the factory (original edge) and the grind was very even. There is a slight "gritiness" when pushing the button to open the knife but it's just a minor distraction.

These are a little heavier than other Spydie folders and to be honest I don't like it as well as many of my other Spydies. As easily and quickly as the "regular" folders open, there seems little need for the auto. Having a ccp I can carry legally but this just doesn't seem to make it into the rotation. That being said, it's a nice addition to the collection.
Vege-Taco

Post by Vege-Taco »

I have both the 83mm and 92mm Citadels and the Embassy. I prefer the Embasy for it's feel in hand, grip and looks. It's just a nicer knife overall.
Favorite Customs: Bradford Fairall, Darrel Ralph, Matt Cucchiara, Todd Begg, Brian Tighe, Chris Reeve, Jay Fisher, Corrie Schoeman
Favorite Production: Spyderco, Microtech, Pro-Tech, Kershaw
RoBoTech

Post by RoBoTech »

I have the Embassy and an 83mm Citadel.
I actually carry the Embassy occasionally, as some else mentioned, as a Gentlemen's folder.
I have had the Embassy for four years, just got the Citadel two weeks ago. Even at 83mm, the Citadel is a bigger knife. I too have noticed that the Embassy just "feels" higher quality.
But, if I ever need them, my Buck 110 Auto, Gerber 06 Auto, the Spydercos and a little Schade Smedy should do the job.