bi-fold...

Discussion of Restricted Models by Spyderco.
death-bringah

bi-fold...

Post by death-bringah »

I thought there's be a bit more hoopla, but when I look out the window all I see are people celebrating the soccer/football games... :confused:

http://www.knifecenter.com/kc_new/store ... l?s=SP108P

I know that WE can keep this momentus day in perspective! :eek:

take care -d.
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

I'd be more excited if I was allowed to actually buy one. As it is, it's merely an interesting curiosity, for me.

Ken
玉鋼
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Given this:
KinfeCenter wrote:Special Instructions
Automatic Knives are available to Law Enforcement and active duty Military personnel only. Submission of valid ID required for purchase.
This should probably be in the restricted items forum.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
death-bringah

Post by death-bringah »

The Deacon wrote:This should probably be in the restricted items forum.
Oops!!! :o You are absolutely correct; my apologies.

...Although, since so many have been waiting so long for this release, it might qualify as big news to Spydieville in general. And with the 1-1/4 inch blade, I'd think this auto is more "accessable" than any of the other Spyderco autos. Personally, I was just happy to see it actually make it to the shelves. :)

take care -d.
MCM

Post by MCM »

Just goes to show how hosed up the laws are today.........

Am sure this 1.25" hinged knife is more dangerous than the steak knife used in all restaurants across the world..........

Talk about stupid............. Not the 1.25" knife, but the fact that its restricted.

Where are we going anyway? :confused:

P.S. Don't bother trying to defend this.
Its just dumb. Simply defies logic.
:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Correct me if I'm wrong but don't some counties allow auto knives if under like 1.5"?

Mine don't but I could have sworn some did.
Simsmac

Post by Simsmac »

Blerv wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong but don't some counties allow auto knives if under like 1.5"?

Mine don't but I could have sworn some did.
I believe some in California allow autos under 2". Go figure. :rolleyes:

EDIT: Actually, California state law allows switchblades under 2", not just specific counties.
Woz

Post by Woz »

Oh come on. Here is Austria all Autos, Balis, OTF, daggers whatever are legal to own and carry. No restrictions on any knives, but "camouflaged" weapons (cane-swords, belt-buckle knives...) - still, I can not order a Bi-Fold, for most dealers refuse to send one to a country where it is legal. I do not understand...
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Woz wrote:Oh come on. Here is Austria all Autos, Balis, OTF, daggers whatever are legal to own and carry. No restrictions on any knives, but "camouflaged" weapons (cane-swords, belt-buckle knives...) - still, I can not order a Bi-Fold, for most dealers refuse to send one to a country where it is legal. I do not understand...
Assuming you mean you cannot get them at all, rather than that dealers in your country don't carry them, I'd suggest you contact Spyderco. You may be able to order directly from them, or they may be able to supply you with the name of a European dealer you can order from.
Paul
RIOT

Post by RIOT »

i forget, but what makes this knife illegal for regular carry? is it spring assisted ?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

MCM wrote:Just goes to show how hosed up the laws are today.........

Am sure this 1.25" hinged knife is more dangerous than the steak knife used in all restaurants across the world..........

Talk about stupid............. Not the 1.25" knife, but the fact that its restricted.

Where are we going anyway? :confused:

P.S. Don't bother trying to defend this.
Its just dumb. Simply defies logic.

I would go so far as to say i can do more damage to someone with a ball point pen than you could with that little tiny blade.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
araneae

Post by araneae »

I recall Sal stating that he would consider looking into the possibility of a non auto version, but don't believe he mentioned whether there was a determination made.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
SmoothOne25

Post by SmoothOne25 »

i would like to see how it looks opening. BAD. anyone know anyone who got one and has a vid or a youtube?

shame so many will not be able to get this. maybe after some one buys it then re sells it would some one like us be able to get one. i see auto's sold places without the forums asking questions. kind of like a buyer beware thing. "you know when your breaking a local law and its on you" kind of siuation. sucks. well, life go's on. some how.

im not saying you should break the law.
SUDS

Post by SUDS »

All i have to say is this knife looks awesome, I wanna see someone open one. And these things are gonna go for alot on the secondary market
Adam
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Manix 2, Para 2, Frn/Wooden UKPK
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

SmoothOne,
I could have sworn one of the SHOT or BLADE videos showed the bifold opening but I could be mistaken.

I would love to have one of these. Yes, RIOT, this one is spring assisted - it is categorized the same as an auto. I would also welcome a non-sprung version - perhaps without a spring and with a bit of detent in the opening mechanism it could have a design change to make it more workable manually. an opening "hole" roughly parallel to the hing/pivot could double as a file holder or a bit holder making this functional when closed as well..?
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
A-Knife

Post by A-Knife »

Finally, released. I have a fan of this little knife ever since it was announced. I even held a prototype in my hands during the A'dam mini meet.
I will try and get one. I am not military or law enforcer, but in most European countries it should be legal.

André
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

That raises an interesting point. I'm not sure if, just because the a US Government agency decided the Bi-Fold is an automatic, every other nation is required to follow suit. Perhaps there's even an outside chance our friends in the UK might be able to own one and just not be allowed to carry it "without good reason".
Paul
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

Paul,
I assume that except through military/LEO supply channels or similar, knives that :spyder: is not supposed to sell in interstate commerce (that of course being what congress has the right to regulate) they are also not supposed to sell to other nations. I could be wrong, but I'd imagine that they'd want to err on the side of caution so unless things are quite cut and dry, there just aren't the resources to fight this fight - not without cutting into the regular operational budgets that are probably better used creating and manufacturing more and better knives.
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
A-Knife

Post by A-Knife »

I have seen other US Army editions like the tan Native Iraqi Freedom being offered on ebay. So there is hope afterall, allbeit against a higher price probably. But Spydie fanatics will pay it.
With this sort of regulations the US only encourage these kind of channels.

André
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

defenestrate wrote:Paul,
I assume that except through military/LEO supply channels or similar, knives that :spyder: is not supposed to sell in interstate commerce (that of course being what congress has the right to regulate) they are also not supposed to sell to other nations. I could be wrong, but I'd imagine that they'd want to err on the side of caution so unless things are quite cut and dry, there just aren't the resources to fight this fight - not without cutting into the regular operational budgets that are probably better used creating and manufacturing more and better knives.
Kris, I fully agree. Definitely not a fight worth fighting for Spyderco. On the other hand, I believe Spyderco is allowed to export autos to distributors and dealers in countries where they are legal and I'm not sure how much authority US ICE has over regulating who they can be sold to after that. My gut tells me that once they're out of the US, on their way to a legally qualified purchaser, neither Spyderco or ICE has any further control or responsibility for them.

Consider a hypothetical case where country X allows any of its citizens to buy an auto, and country Y bans autos but does not consider the Bi-Fold to be one because of the plane in which the blade moves. The question then becomes whether a Spyderco dealer or distributor in country X could sell one to a Spyderco dealer or individual in country Y without violating any laws. Granted, the second hypothetical, Spyderco sending it directly to country Y, might be more dicey.
Paul