bi-fold...

Discussion of Restricted Models by Spyderco.
shecky

Post by shecky »

defenestrate wrote: I would love to have one of these. Yes, RIOT, this one is spring assisted - it is categorized the same as an auto. I would also welcome a non-sprung version - perhaps without a spring and with a bit of detent in the opening mechanism it could have a design change to make it more workable manually. an opening "hole" roughly parallel to the hing/pivot could double as a file holder or a bit holder making this functional when closed as well..?
Yes, what seems to make this an auto is that it has a trigger-like "switch" that holds the blade closed, a blade that is biased toward opening from any position in the swing of it's arc. I think a sprung cam/follower could be implemented on the pivot in such a way that the blade is biased toward closing, until the user pushes the blade past the tensioned cam, at which point the blade opens like an assisted opener. The trigger-like switch operates simply as a lock, and doesn't prevent the blade itself from swinging open automatically when unlatched.

It could probably be implemented without the trigger-lock at all, the way I envision it. Using four parts, the handle half, the blade half, and a compression spring on the pivot pin, tensioning the two halves against each other on the pivot axis, where they could act as cam/follower to both bias closed and bias open/lock.

Just my goofy thoughts...
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

Why not just build one with a reversed spring that holds the blade closed?

Perhaps a single sided cobra hood to get the blade out.

There are other bi-fold knives that are not considered autos, the Smith&Wesson Viper is one example.

http://www.knifecenter.com/kc_new/store ... ml?s=SWVIP
shao.fu.tzer

Post by shao.fu.tzer »

Evil D wrote:I would go so far as to say i can do more damage to someone with a ball point pen than you could with that little tiny blade.
Come on now, you can't be serious... That's basically a folding La Griffe... If you could do more damage with a ball point pen, then you must have no combat training whatsoever. A 1.5" blade, especially with a finger hole like that, is no laughing matter. In the hands of a skilled user it's by far deadlier than many of these so called "tactical" folders that people swear by. I would feel far more comfortable slashing at someone full strength with one of these then say, my P'Kal (which I've carried daily for about 3 years now). If the lock fails I MIGHT get a pinched hand. If the lock fails on my P'Kal, I'm losing fingers! I think it's an awesome design that will find its fame as more and more people adopt it... and no, I don't own one. I'm about to go order one right now though.

Shao
rpbm10

Post by rpbm10 »

*Edited*
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

rpbm10 wrote:*Edited*
You mean you woke up a thread that's been sleeping for over two years to solicit a sale? Better read the forum rules and delete your post.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897