Why doesn't the Spyderfly latch open?

Discussion of Restricted Models by Spyderco.
Unsub

Why doesn't the Spyderfly latch open?

Post by Unsub »

I just got the 440C version of the Spyderfly and am wondering why the latch does not work when the knife is open?
It seems like a very big detail to miss and the handle is terrible to actually use and get a grip on.
It feels like there is something wrong and the handle is not coming together all the way when it is open?
Is there something I am missing?
Th232

Post by Th232 »

My memory says that there was something about balis that latch open being illegal in some places, but I can't remember where, or whether that is correct in the first place.
Will

"No one wants to look the fool. Everyone does the best they can. If they knew better, they'd do better" - old woman on the railway tracks to Sal.

TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

Colorado State Law forbids latching open.
There is nothing more important than this one day.
Unsub

Post by Unsub »

**** there are a LOT of ridiculous laws about knives especially balis.
Usually laws come about because of a need but I don't think there was ever any case where someone said "if only this bali did not have a decent handle".
spyderHS08

Post by spyderHS08 »

Unsub wrote:any case where someone said "if only this bali did not have a decent handle".
lol touche!
So many dumb laws these days
39 & counting...
:spyder: E3, Para mili, Salt 1 PE, Native, D3 OD, Ladybug, UKPK, Dodo, D4, Tasman, Ladybug Salt, Smallfly, Khukuri, Para Military, USN E4, Persistence, Civilian, Yojimbo, Smallfly, Manix 2 CE, Dodo, Military, D4 , Blackhawk, Pac Salt, Military, Manix 2, Captain, Assist, D'fly PE, Spyderhawk SE, Persian, Lum tanto, Warrior, Lil Temp, Tuff, spyderfly, szabofly, :spyder:

Dodo!
Unsub

Post by Unsub »

Well I have had my Spyderfly for a few weeks and I stil love playing with it but the fact it won't lock open is still annoying. It is like holding a pair of scissors. If they new they could not lock it open you would think they would have designed a better handle. It is excellent when your holding one leg and flipping it but if they would actually touch at the end rather than only at the pivot because when you hold it tight it flexes and makes for an awful grip.
The thin waist and fat ends make for a very unergonomic grip as well. It was like it was designed just for flipping. It is so unlike spyderco to make a poorly designed and thought out knife! I am really disappointed because I thought that Spyderco would have made a bali that would also make a decent EDC. I expected it to be better designed and thought out than the standard. I may have to get a Benchmade one which is just horrible. If they had made a bali with the balance and "flipability" of the Spyderfly but a really good usable blade maybe even single edged but shaped like a symmetrical dagger that you could live with as an EDC it would be perfect.

This is also the first Spyderco I have seen without a country of origin markings.
Knife Crazied

Post by Knife Crazied »

Okay here is my opinion on buying a Benchmade. Never :eek: They are sue happy. They sue everyone for everything. I will never own or possess a Benchmade product. The fact of them acting the way they do is a major turn off for me. Now when it comes to bali I love the smallfly. I think it is one of the greatest Bali of all times. I hope many more bali come from Spyderco. :rolleyes: I also hope to someday have the money to own the Szabofly. It's SWEET!!!! :D Very hard to flip.