MIM and cast steel Fly's?

Discussion of Restricted Models by Spyderco.
Ted

MIM and cast steel Fly's?

Post by Ted »

Just to get my facts straight, is there a difference in how the 1st generation Fly's were made ( I remember it was called cast steel) with respect to the current generation (which is marketed as 'molded injection metal'. Or are they identical?
Thanks,
Ted
Fairlane

Post by Fairlane »

Ted wrote:Just to get my facts straight, is there a difference in how the 1st generation Fly's were made ( I remember it was called cast steel) with respect to the current generation (which is marketed as 'molded injection metal'. Or are they identical?
Thanks,
Ted
Without beeing absolutely sure about this... (Might be something involved i don't know)

Casting is casting even if you call it MIM. MIM is AFAIK the name of the TYPE of casting used, where they inject the molten steel into the mold as opposed to pouring, i guess...
MIM does have it's advantages, though.

AGAIN, if i get the words correct.
Henning
Certified :spyder: addict

Help out at: http://www.spydiewiki.com for everyone's benefit!
JLS

Post by JLS »

Yes and no on the casting. MIM is a derivative of casting, but the metal is mixed with a polymer binder and cast into a larger than finished part size mold (usually 15-20% larger from what I understand). Then it goes into a furnace to extract and burn away the polymer, so your end result is closer to a sintered metal part than a cast part.

Done well, MIM can produce very nice, relatively complex parts at an attractive cost.
42 Spyderco fixed blades and counting...