Opinions???

Discussion of Restricted Models by Spyderco.
raven

Opinions???

Post by raven »

Hey All, After reading many of the comments on this New Section and Overall throughout the forums about restricted items ... I'm just wondering if this is going to cause any HARD FEELINGS toward the one's that are able to purchase these items. I FOR ONE DON'T FEEL IT'S RIGHT EITHER!!! I can understand everyone elses feelings of BEING LEFT OUT and Missing the Opportunity of Having A Bit of Spyderco History. I have to Honestly Say ... I Don't Want To See Any Hard Feeling Toward Anyone or Have Any Discontentment Toward Me For Being An LEO. If That Is The Case... I Will Not Purchase Any Of These Restricted Items ;) . It's Bad Enough Being In Law Enforcement ... I will admit, We do have some benefits, but I don't abuse those benefits and use them in my favor ... THAT'S JUST NOT RIGHT!!! Being an LEO, I don't want to FLAUNT the fact that I am able to purchase items others can't ... Again, That's Not Right or Professional IMO.

WHAT'S THE SPYDIE FAMILY'S OPINION???

This Is Me PERSONALLY ... NOT ANYONE ELSE. Thank You For Listening. Take Good Care and Be Safe Always.

God Bless :)

-raven-
ISAIAH 40:31 But those who wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; They will mount up on wings like eagles, They shall run and not be weary, They shall walk and not faint.

No-one can choose your mountain or tell you when to climb... It's yours alone to challenge at your own pace and time.
mrappraisit

Post by mrappraisit »

Raven - Thanks for the thoughtfulness. I do not really need, or want an automatic knife, even if it has a Spyder on it. If I had the money for a Citadel or the upcoming Embassy I would rather buy a Stretch II.

That being said, I can understand why some of the die hard collectors would feel compelled to get one, or two. It's a shame that these cannot be purchased by regular folks, but all of us vote the people in who take away these rights.

One thing I have always wondered, especially with the recent and upcoming releases, is whether or not many LEO's really carry these knives? I don't mean Tactical Response, SWAT type officers, but regular "beat" cops, highway patrol, DPS, etc. Or are they like the rest of us, fans of guns/knives who would like to have the latest model?

Again, thanks for the consideration; it typifies the attitude that keeps people coming back to this forum.

EDIT: I know you weren't looking for approval, but if Autos keep LEO's and Peace Officers safer then buy all the Auto's you need, just my $0.02 :-)
After enlightenment, the laundry.
Spygineer

Post by Spygineer »

Definitely no hard feelings, bro Raven!

With the service that LEO's and Mil personnel do for the people and the country, I say you've earned it and enjoy it without any guilt! God knows your jobs are hard enough!

BTW, thank you for your service and consideration.
I'm Hooked like a hawkbilll!!!:D
jeffbr

Post by jeffbr »

My gripe is not that only LEOs can buy the restricted items. My gripe is that the items are restricted, and that it is the federal gov't doing the restricting. I say if you are authorized to buy them, then by all means buy them! I am happy to read about them, hear reviews about them, and dream of a day when we can be free again and own them.

So please buy them, take pictures, write reviews, etc... It is fun to live vicariously through those who have them.
flipe8

Post by flipe8 »

I don't have problem with LEOs and militarty getting these tools, but I do wish it would be extended to all front-line workers. But, I don't even know if LEOs/military are permitted to own in Canada.If that's the case ,at least our gov't sees all Canadians as EQUALLY incapable of owning :D :rolleyes:
Spyopera
SFKW sugilite Kiwi
CRK Small Sebenza 31
Far too many sold...:o

Trusting my own experience
bluemist

Post by bluemist »

To all the good Cops:

You've been there for me more than once, you were there when that drunk got his houses mixed up and tried to force his way into my home (well Mossberg was there too just in case you didn't make it in time).

... No hard feelings from this guy...... I know what a rookie NYC Cop salary looks like and I wonder how one can even survive on wages like that.. Paramedics too.. enjoy the perks you have, no worries.
spyder spyder spyder spyder
Piet.S

Post by Piet.S »

Please don't feel guilty Raven, you didn't make this stupid law.
I still find it hard to believe that one can own a handgun much more easily than some knives in the US.
We do have our own share of ''bright lawmakers'' though, and they are quite capable too.
All your knifelinks, http://www.knifelinksportal.com
JBE

Post by JBE »

bluemist wrote: I know what a rookie NYC Cop salary looks like and I wonder how one can even survive on wages like that.. Paramedics too.. enjoy the perks you have, no worries.
Luckily medic wages where I live are far beyond those of fire and law enforcement.

Unfortunately, I don't get the perk of carrying an auto... :(
Jason
Agent Starling

my $0.02...

Post by Agent Starling »

Hi raven~
raven wrote:Hey All, After reading many of the comments on this New Section and Overall throughout the forums about restricted items ... I'm just wondering if this is going to cause any HARD FEELINGS toward the one's that are able to purchase these items.
No hard feelings, it wouldn't be fair or reasonable to feel that way...I may or may not like the laws regarding autos, but I do realize that independent of my opinion about these laws, I do have to accept them and abide by them...
raven wrote:I FOR ONE DON'T FEEL IT'S RIGHT EITHER!!! I can understand everyone elses feelings of BEING LEFT OUT and Missing the Opportunity of Having A Bit of Spyderco History. I have to Honestly Say ... I Don't Want To See Any Hard Feeling Toward Anyone or Have Any Discontentment Toward Me For Being An LEO. If That Is The Case... I Will Not Purchase Any Of These Restricted Items ;) . It's Bad Enough Being In Law Enforcement ... I will admit, We do have some benefits, but I don't abuse those benefits and use them in my favor ... THAT'S JUST NOT RIGHT!!! Being an LEO, I don't want to FLAUNT the fact that I am able to purchase items others can't ... Again, That's Not Right or Professional IMO.
That is very generous of you raven... :) ...I for one would never want to see you or any qualified individual be deprived of the opportunity to purchase and enjoy these knives... :D

Agent Starling :D
"Too many was too many, but way too many was just right."
Th232

Post by Th232 »

Raven, go and buy as many as you want. Honestly, with the stuff you guys do, you deserve the privileges you get, and probably more!
Will

"No one wants to look the fool. Everyone does the best they can. If they knew better, they'd do better" - old woman on the railway tracks to Sal.

Elsilrac1

Post by Elsilrac1 »

Buy them and enjoy them while you can. I served 11 years in the military, and now as a civilian I can not carry them. I still have my old users, but now they are letter openers. I must say very cool letter openers.
smcfalls13

Post by smcfalls13 »

No worries bro, I don't have any hard feelings towards you. You didn't restrict the knives, so it makes no logical sense to harbor any ill will at you, unless of course your second job is in Congress, in which case we need to chat :p
:spyder: Scott :spyder:

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give."
-Sir Winston Churchill-
Tank

Post by Tank »

No hard feelings at all. I Get one or two and use them and feel good about it. There are lots of other choices for the rest of us. And most of all Enjoy them.
Peace Brother
-John
dalefuller

Post by dalefuller »

If you want it, get it! I work for a sporting goods company and I take advantage of their deep employee discount when I want something, even if someone else standing behind me has to pay full price for the same thing. Them's the perks.

Even if I liked and wanted autos (which I don't... had a couple and didn't like them), there wouldn't be any hard feelings.
Regards,
Dale

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."
~ Will Rogers, 1879-1935
patogordo

Post by patogordo »

I´m usually lurk in the forum, on a daily basis, but im an avid collector an buy any spidie that produced, and I would love to have one spidie auto, but the law is the law and even im outside United Sates, the law is even harder in here so im not poking in that ant hill,
Slowly one at a Time, but someday...
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

This will likely be my only post in this sub-forum, as I will have nothing to add to any model discussions.

Restricted items will always foster resentment among the excluded, whether they admit to it or not. The elitist attitude of the federal government in restricting these items to Military and Law Enforcement is a slap to the face of every law-abiding citizen of this country. It smacks of the feudalism of the Dark Ages. "Only the King's men may have swords. The rest of you peasants get back to your flocks and fields and prepare your tribute." It tells us that our safety and security (which is OUR responsibility, no matter what anyone tries to tell you to the contrary) is of absolutely no importance to them.

That said, I say buy whatever you can and enjoy it, Raven.
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
fultoncoshooter

Post by fultoncoshooter »

yeah im alittle upset i have a few nice autos and would love to have a spydie auto

But i take my BP test on Monday so maybe in 8 months or so i can buy one for myself

here in my State its illegal to carry a auto but legal to buy and collect them

am i mad at LEOs or Mils who buy them no and like i said im only alittle upset i cant buy one.. If my buddies wernt in eye rack im sure they would get one for me if i really wanted one
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Like Yablonowitz I don't expect I'll post here often. Wether I'm eligible or not shouldn't stop you and any other LEO/Military from getting the equipment they need, the best they can afford.

I'd like to think you have the tools needed to get through the shift and back home safely to your family.

The truth is that sometimes even that's not enough in your field. Do try to have every advantage possible though.

In all honesty I'd take a millie or stretch 2 over any auto opener on the market. I have access to anything I can afford but have never felt that autos were the best in my situation.

In others they might be.

Like I said do what's best for you. Whatever it takes to get you home safely, even if that means an auto, or a borrowed D-9 Caterpillar dozer. Joe
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

I have the privilege to be able to purchase own an carry the auto for use..I understand where Raven is coming from and share some similar sentiments....because the law is as it is, I have decided not to carry any auto's....I own quite a few and really like them, but they sit in the war chest unused, when everyone regains the right to own and carry the auto I might begi n to think differently about them..Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
MAT888

Post by MAT888 »

yablanowitz wrote:This will likely be my only post in this sub-forum, as I will have nothing to add to any model discussions.

Restricted items will always foster resentment among the excluded, whether they admit to it or not. The elitist attitude of the federal government in restricting these items to Military and Law Enforcement is a slap to the face of every law-abiding citizen of this country. It smacks of the feudalism of the Dark Ages. "Only the King's men may have swords. The rest of you peasants get back to your flocks and fields and prepare your tribute." It tells us that our safety and security (which is OUR responsibility, no matter what anyone tries to tell you to the contrary) is of absolutely no importance to them.

That said, I say buy whatever you can and enjoy it, Raven.
No recentment on my part.
Auto's assisted switch bali's our wathever knive type you want : It all depends on the purpose PEOPLE using them in any way they do... So All people get restricted for the minority serious criminals involved in maximum "air play" on TV/radio.... Sounds somewhat fishy to me... :(
First of all. AO's are still legal here. Appart from the Hirsh Ballim's ( our MOJ) ban on auto's and balisongs.

I would take down ANY PERP harassin/ hurting/killing people with ANY bladestyle. F0cus should be layed on people instead of knives guns used.

FREE ALL THE GOOD PEOPLE :rolleyes:
Netherlands needs the 2nd ammentment too :o ...
Maarten
member of FFG Club