Reflections on Restricted Items

Discussion of Restricted Models by Spyderco.
Macaulay

Post by Macaulay »

Obey the law, but make an effort to change it when it doesn't make sense.

CA banned open carry on the 1st of Jan 2011, which means since we're a shall not issue state a law abiding citizen can no longer carry a gun at all.
"████ ██ █ ████ everything ███ █████ is █████ ████ ████ fine ████ ███ █ ██████ love █████ ██████ ███ your █████ ████ government."
jtoler_9

Post by jtoler_9 »

I didn't know they banned carry in CA. That sucks. Some states like to follow CA. So this could be bad for everyone.
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

Personally, I blame the switchblade/bali laws on the actor Russ Tamblyn who waved a cheapo blade around during the rumble scene in West Side Story. :cool:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russ_Tamblyn

TedP
Worry less - Breathe more...

Spydie Fanatic #185
Waco

Post by Waco »

phillipsted wrote:Personally, I blame the switchblade/bali laws on the actor Russ Tamblyn who waved a cheapo blade around during the rumble scene in West Side Story. :cool:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russ_Tamblyn

TedP
Knives in general are primarily shown as weapons in the movies. Once in a while, a western will show a person using a knife as a practical/survival tool. Look up spyderco videos on youtube and you'll find an endless number of people showing how fast they can open their knife and go into some defensive pose.
PARATOM

Post by PARATOM »

It blows my mind that a 21 year old citizen can purchase a handgun legally but cant purchase a butterfly or auto knife.

If the laws reasoning was to help hinder crime it just doesnt make sense.

I agreee with a previous poster on if you have some sort of a weapons carry permit, that should justify you being abke to BUY and CARRY automatic/butterfly knives.
[LEFT]Para 2 digi cam/DLC | Tenacious PE | Sage 1 | Delica 4 FFG | Manix 2 | Dragonfly 2 H1 | Yojimbo 2 | SmallFly digi cam R | Citadel DLC R[/LEFT]
There are two kinds of people in this world, you're either somebody or nobody...
mcjhrobinson

Post by mcjhrobinson »

i believe in whatever age selective service starts at you should be able to purchase a firearm, drink alcohol and own 1(or more) knives of your choice.

laws are not supposed to make sense they are supposed to preserve order.
every man is a variation of yourself. :spyder:
PARATOM

Post by PARATOM »

mcjhrobinson wrote:laws are not supposed to make sense they are supposed to preserve order.
Not to argue, but on this law (the current thread topic) i believe does nothing to preserve order.

I understand and respect the OP for posting this thread (back in 2008 or whatever lol) but it is a complete waste of our money to pay federal agents to "monitor" a knife manufactures forum to try and "make an example" of people buying restricted items who arent allowed....

There are bigger battles to fight. Sorry to wake up an old thread
[LEFT]Para 2 digi cam/DLC | Tenacious PE | Sage 1 | Delica 4 FFG | Manix 2 | Dragonfly 2 H1 | Yojimbo 2 | SmallFly digi cam R | Citadel DLC R[/LEFT]
There are two kinds of people in this world, you're either somebody or nobody...
mcjhrobinson

Post by mcjhrobinson »

i agree its silly.......lots of laws are silly. theres a law in hawaii that states that everyone who lives there needs to own a boat. still laws are meant to preserve order (or give ppl something to do :P )

i do agree i wish my tax money went to education instead of ppl obtaining expensive knives....but who am i.
every man is a variation of yourself. :spyder:
albertjr

Post by albertjr »

I am sure there are some newbies that would need it.Nice and amazing tips and advices these will really useful for me I admire its so many important for a young ones. Your tips are golden and much appreciated....
arabic academy
arab academy
arabic school
arabic class
arabic lessons
SHardcastle

Post by SHardcastle »

I don't know if I necessarily agree with you here, OP. Thanks to cooler heads, it is not unlawful for me to purchase or possess an automatic knife. The federal government, when passing the switchblade law, they could only do it based on interstate commerce. Not on public safety. Therefore, as long as I'm not on federal property, or crossing state lines, I can carry my own automatic tool, so long as it's not concealed. This was recently verified through the courts and revised in state law.

This is very similar to medical cannabis. While unlawful at the federal level, the states are the ones able to set their own laws. Even though the govt. still wants to control this with mandatory minimum sentences for nonviolent offenders, the government must remain within the shackles of the Constitution. Do you still feel people are skirting the law, even when possession is lawful at the state level?
SHardcastle

Post by SHardcastle »

G-2 wrote:
Have a nice day, and we hope you feel better soon.
KaliGman wrote:This entire thread was started, by me, in order to inform those who use this forum what the federal law was requiring Spyderco to do, to explain that there could be very serious consequences to crowing about violating the federal law, and that some of these consequences could be detrimental to both Spyderco and individual forum members who were in violation of the law. Also, people need to keep in mind that I am not the only Federal LEO who is a member of this forum, and that, unlike many forums, this forum can be viewed by anyone who is not a member. Information here is open to the public, including law enforcement. A subpoena, a 2703 preservation order, and/or other legal process could be issued based on information seen on this forum. These legal documents (not "illegal wiretaps") would then require Spyderco to give up any information (such as an individual's email address, IP address, etc.) that LEOs needed for their investigation. Anyone silly enough to have broken the law and bought a Spyderco balisong and/or automatic and then begin to talk about it in this forum is about as bright as the guy in a red Ferrari who sees a marked police cruiser with a radar unit mounted on the vehicle and doing the speed limit, and who passes the police vehicle at a high rate of speed anyway. Some things just are not going to be ignored by law enforcement.
Again, I'm sorry but I don't believe your understanding of state law is accurate. If one can lawfully purchase and possess an automatic knife, the federal "switchblade" law does not override state laws. Unless of course you are a vendor, selling automatic knives unlawfully. Transporting them over state lines in the process.

15 U.S.C. §§ 1241 ONLY "prohibits the manufacture, importation, distribution, transportation, and sale of switchblade knives in commercial transactions substantially affecting interstate commerce[58] between any state, territory, possession of the United States, or the District of Columbia, and any place outside that state, territory, U.S. possession, or the District of Columbia. The Act also prohibits possession of such knives on federal or Indian lands or on lands subject to federal jurisdiction. It does not prohibit the ownership or carrying of automatic knives or switchblades inside a state while not on federal property, nor does it prohibit the acquisition or disposition of such knives in an intrastate transaction or an interstate transaction that is noncommercial and/or does not substantially affect interstate commerce (as defined by recent decisions of the U.S. Supreme Court)."

Do you feel as a federal officer it is your responsibility to arrest and fine people who do not enter government land or transport automatic knives across state lines? What is the RIGHT thing to do in this situation?
SHardcastle

Post by SHardcastle »

mcjhrobinson wrote:i agree its silly.......lots of laws are silly. theres a law in hawaii that states that everyone who lives there needs to own a boat. still laws are meant to preserve order (or give ppl something to do :P )

i do agree i wish my tax money went to education instead of ppl obtaining expensive knives....but who am i.
I truly wish that were the case in this day and age. The average upstanding, "law abiding" citizen breaks dozens to hundreds of laws monthly. Not on purpose or with malicious intent, but because more often than not, laws are written to be confusing. Laws are primarily written by lobbies or special interest groups to cheat the system and get what they want. Laws should not exist for activities or behavior that does not imfringe on another human being. This federal knife law is a perfect example of just how flawed the system really is. My right to life, liberty, and happiness only extends to the point of in which it interferes or affects with another's equal rights. Laws are written to control. They are written to generate revenue for the city/county/state as a hidden bonus tax on the population. They are created to unlevel the playing field for the common man. See the majority of business and copyright laws. Laws are seldom implemented to only preserve public order or safety.

Now on to your last comment. Are you being factitious here? Tax money to education that doesn't teach critical thinking? That graduates people that are not skilled or knowledgeable. The scooping systems in the US are among the worst in the world. And sadly, it is by design. They don't want intelligent people. They want followers that don't rock the boat. That work hard for low wages, and who die before being able to utilize their paid into government benefits. Its a sad world we live in. The reality makes you want to right this wrong as strongly as possible. For your children. And their children. For your fellow man. For your neighbors. For those you love completely. Personal monies should be spent on personal passions. One passion comes to mind which many of us here share.