Has anybody seen this issue? ( cracked blade )

Discussion of Restricted Models by Spyderco.
LibeRANTarian

Has anybody seen this issue? ( cracked blade )

Post by LibeRANTarian »

I have a Smallfly 2 with a problem.

In wrapping up at work last night, I was wiping down my blade and handles with alcohol and noticed a line on the tang coming from the pivot area of one of the handles.

Turns out it wasn't a scratch or line of dirt but a crack that goes all the way through the tang.

This knife maybe has been dropped twice, from waist height and I don't flip it around trying to do tricks. It's just a cool work knife and not a toy in my use cases.

I also clean it after every night it goes to work with me and I would have seen it had it been there the last time I used it.

My real concern is if I send this to Golden for warranty inspection, is getting a balisong back as troublesome as getting an auto back? Also does anybody know ( or think ) it would be fruitless to send it in for inspection since it had fallen from my truck seat onto pavement? It was a maximum maybe 2 1/2 foot drop as it was under my leg when I got out. Should a well treated S30V crack like this from such a short fall? (If that was indeed the cause)

Has anybody seen this before?

TazKristi

Re: Has anybody seen this issue? ( cracked blade )

Post by TazKristi »

Hi, LibeRANTarian:
I've moved your thread to our restricted model discussion area. I suggest you send your SmallFly2 in for an evaluation with our W&R department. You will have to include our Restricted Item Return Form found at the bottom of this page and the Warranty & Repair form.

If you are unable to sign the Restricted Item Return Form, we suggest that you return it through the dealer you purchased it from - they can send it in for you.

I'm sorry to see this issue, but we'll do our best to help.

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Wow, I have not seen that before. I'm certain Spyderco will take care of you on this even if there are a few more hurdles to jump through due to outdated laws.

Unless your truck was hovering at 60 feet up, I cannot see how they could decline a warranty claim on that. A dropped balisong should not be an unexpected outcome and 2.5 feet should never cause a blade to crack at its thickest point.
Screen Shot 2022-08-10 at 9.22.55 AM.jpg
Zoomed in detail.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
LibeRANTarian

Post by LibeRANTarian »

Thanks Kristi. I'll get on it. This knife is too fun at work to be without. Thanks also for moving my post to the right section. For being middle-aged, I'm a bit of a boomer in the tech space, including forums.

JRinFL - haha nah, I couldn't find a reliable levitation package so it's just a regular street kind of affair.
LibeRANTarian

Post by LibeRANTarian »

Ugh, I forgot this was a birthday gift from a now deceased family member so there's no way for me to determine the dealer.

Kristi or anybody at Spyderco- Would I be able to have my local knife dealer send it to Spyderco's W&R department or does this have to come from the original dealer?
troutinCO

Post by troutinCO »

I think like a "gun" if you ship from any "ffl" then it should be good to go. So in this regard any authorized dealer should be fine to send and receive. But I would wait to hear from Kristi still.
Which makes me wonder, since I am in state and no "shipping" would have to be done since I could technically drop off and pick up in person, what happens?
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

LibeRANTarian wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 12:12 pm
Ugh, I forgot this was a birthday gift from a now deceased family member so there's no way for me to determine the dealer.

Kristi or anybody at Spyderco- Would I be able to have my local knife dealer send it to Spyderco's W&R department or does this have to come from the original dealer?
You can have any authorized dealer send it in, but you'll want to be sure they normally carry our restricted products to ensure we have the required documentation on file. I hope this helps!

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

LibeRANTarian wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:08 am
I have a Smallfly 2 with a problem.
[...]

Has anybody seen this before?

Isn't there 2 to 3 cracks on the blade ?

I see the main one going from the stop ping to the spine, but we also see it continuing towards the tang of the blade. Also, the second stop pin seems to have another crack coming from it too ?
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
LibeRANTarian

Post by LibeRANTarian »

[/quote]

Isn't there 2 to 3 cracks on the blade ?

I see the main one going from the stop ping to the spine, but we also see it continuing towards the tang of the blade. Also, the second stop pin seems to have another crack coming from it too ?
[/quote]

I haven't opened it since I did so to clean and oil it when I first got it, before the cracking issue so I'm not sure. It does look that way.

I will say something was odd from the start, before opening it. The bite handle had play that would not tighten out no matter what I did, which is one of the reasons I opened it for cleaning and oiling. After doing so, though I never found the culprit, the play had vanished. But then the bite handle was a bit tight, regardless of how loose the screw was. I figured well, no idea what the issue was but with enough use, the washer will wear in and everything will be fine.

Several weeks later I spotted the cracking.

At least I was able to determine the dealer and they're cool to help in handling the goofy shipping restrictions.

Regardless of my screen name, I'll leave the rant about moronic govt knife laws aside.