Cruwear Smallfly2

Discussion of Restricted Models by Spyderco.
Buddafucco

Re: Cruwear Smallfly2

Post by Buddafucco »

JRinFL wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 2:02 pm
Buddafucco wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:30 am
Thanks for the heads up on the dealer. Also, Spyderco should really hire you! You are a one person marketing department. :1stplace:
No problem man! It's been a slow roll out... the holiday weekend probably has something to do with that. Let me how American Edge does.
One day they'll get the Spyderco App firing on all cylinders and it'll put me out of a job! :grin-sweat
•• Beau
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

Not in stock yet but BladeHQ has put the listing up if anybody wants to sign up for notifications. They have their pictures up so I imagine it will drop there fairly soon. Maybe.
https://www.bladehq.com/item--Spyderco- ... fe--151860
•• Beau
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

a lot of places have laws that specifically prohibit butterfly knives. it's just people being scared and dumb. i think some of it is left over from gangs using them back in the day. i found out ca has a law against nunchakus because of gangs. that blew my mind.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

•• Beau
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

Perry KnifeWorks (not on the Dealer Locator List but somebody here vouched for them)... https://www.perryknifeworks.com/item--s ... 3-3-satin/

Edit: Gone now
Last edited by Buddafucco on Fri Jul 08, 2022 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
•• Beau
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

Oh man, I want one.
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

Last edited by Buddafucco on Fri Jul 08, 2022 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
•• Beau
jdw

Post by jdw »

I received mine today from American Edge Knives so I want to give a shout out to the small shop that did a great job and Buddafucco for his awesome work on the board and for directing me their way. The knife is solidly made, very well balanced, and extra sharp. It took less than 10 minutes of fidgeting with it for me to give myself a fairly deep cut. I am now pretty much over the butterfly knife concept, but for those who enjoy them this is obviously a very well made knife and I hope that you are able to grab one.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

jdw wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:55 pm
I received mine today from American Edge Knives so I want to give a shout out to the small shop that did a great job and Buddafucco for his awesome work on the board and for directing me their way. The knife is solidly made, very well balanced, and extra sharp. It took less than 10 minutes of fidgeting with it for me to give myself a fairly deep cut. I am now pretty much over the butterfly knife concept, but for those who enjoy them this is obviously a very well made knife and I hope that you are able to grab one.
Hey since you’ve got one in hand, does it have the same super grippy g10 they use on the standard? The pictures make it look like the smooth stuff.
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

jdw wrote:

I've learned not to mess with a balisong before I go to bed or before I have to drive somewhere. In case I have to stop the bleeding. :grin-smiling-eyes
But I don't think I've cut myself with it since last year, so I've been doing pretty good. Or maybe I haven't been trying hard enough. :thinking
•• Beau
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

Abyss_Fish wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 5:47 am
Hey since you’ve got one in hand, does it have the same super grippy g10 they use on the standard? The pictures make it look like the smooth stuff.

I'll double check later with both in hand but I'm pretty sure it's the same G-10 texturing as the S30v model. It's not smooth G-10.
The latch is a lot lighter to disengage on my Cruwear. Makes it way easier to have it ready to go when I pull it out of my pocket. I'm not sure which is the way it was intended to be though. Fit & Finish on everything else seems to be equal between the S30v and Cruwear versions.
•• Beau
jdw

Post by jdw »

Abyss_Fish wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 5:47 am
jdw wrote:

Hi Abyss. This is the first one that I have handled but I would say that calling the G10 ‘super grippy’ is fair. It is definitely stickier than most G10 that Spyderco puts out and it isn’t even close to feeling slick. I hope this helps.
--Wovoka
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

Ok... I double checked... The G-10 is the same... Just different colors.
•• Beau
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

Note: This dealer is in Alaska. If that matters to you.
This is Northern Knives sister store which is also in Alaska. They used the same pics for the listing. You might want to consider reaching out to see if they still have these before purchasing, but it shows In Stock..

Great Northern Knives (not on the dealer locator list?)... https://www.greatnorthernknives.com/onl ... p474844080

Edit: Out of stock Back in stock again Gone again
Last edited by Buddafucco on Fri Jul 29, 2022 4:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.
•• Beau
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

Got a confirmation via email that DLT Trading will be stocking this one.
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
troutinCO

Post by troutinCO »

Sweet!
jdw

Post by jdw »

In the FWIW category: Once I figured out that unless I hit a tendon then I am probably not going to do any lasting damage to myself I have started handling this knife more frequently and I am coming to understand the interest in balisong knives. They are interesting, fun, and uniquely new to me (yes, I know they have been around a very long time). Can anybody please recommend a YouTube video of simple opening and deployment techniques? Thanks folks.
--Wovoka
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

A useful beginners guide: https://youtu.be/5uoPxKbOJ5Q
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
troutinCO

Post by troutinCO »

I had typed something but I need to just put it in my hand to describe what I do, since it is at home it will need to wait. It is simple and easy. That video is more fancy than I get I think.
The biggest thing is to know what handle you need to hold when opening and closing so when it closes on your fingers it is the spine side of the knife. I put the clip on that handle for easy tactile indexing.
troutinCO

Post by troutinCO »

Alright lets see if I can do this.....I took the pics of this being done in my left hand. I am right handed but can open/close this knife one handed with either hand with this technique. I carry in my right pocket. I watched the video so I will use Bite/Safe handle for things.
I already mentioned: knowing what handle is what in your hand is important.
I like to know without looking and I wanted it setup so it was ready to go out of the pocket. Clip is on safe handle so that it puts the edge forward in my pocket. When I pull it out in my hand it is ready to squeeze to release the lock, with the edge facing into my palm.
1a.jpg
2a.jpg
From there I simply rotate it so that I'm pinching/holding the safe handle not the bite handle now.
3a.jpg
Then I can basically swing or drop it open, while letting it rotate 180* and let the bite handle hit my hand.
4a.jpg
5a.jpg
Then I can complete the grasp of the handle.
6a.jpg
Closing is reverse, but the spine of the blade hits my fingers, :shush. Hence why I like having a tactile way of knowing what handle I have in hand when opening/closing.
It is a nice simple motion for me and utilitarian. I have never bothered learning anything more. It is also a motion that lets me just flip it around and around, open then closed then open, so it is fidget friendly for me too.