I don't understand automatics.

Discussion of Restricted Models by Spyderco.
Osok-308

Re: I don't understand automatics.

Post by Osok-308 »

aicolainen wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:33 am
Living where autos can only be acquired on a very hard to acquire collectors license, I can’t speak from experience, but I have read stuff on the internet.
First of all, is probably the fun factor. I guess that’s the main attraction.

From a practical point of view, it’s suppose to make sense for some users in certain situations:
Physically impaired persons that is lacking dexterity, finger strength or coordination.
Hunters that gets their hands contaminated with blood can have a hard time deploying a manual knife.
First responders, that are subject to stress, chemical contamination or both, will not consistently be able to get a solid deployment and lock up with a manual folder.

These are just the pro’s, there’s obviously cons that needs to be considered as well.
This is a big one for me. Ease of single-handed deployment can be critical in high stress situations, especially with gloves. I don't use the safety in my OTS auto.

I've owned two, now. I would say part of it is the "cool factor" of having one. Specifically, because they used to be illegal where I live.

I'm also a fan of destigmatizing the use of something that's considered taboo. If a friend or family member sees someone they know use one, it may spark a conversation about knives or cause them to rethink the prejudice they have against an auto knife. They may think "well, I saw Craig use one to open some boxes and cut some rope, it didn't seem so bad."

They are fun to deploy as well. I'd like to say that I'm not influenced by that, but don't people buy specific cars, computers, guns, televisions, etc. Because the one they bought was "more fun"?
jegred2

Post by jegred2 »

paladin wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:39 am
On a model that's ordinarily a two-hand opener, such as a Buck 110, automatic opening can make sense.

Autos have a fun fidget factor for some.

In all other ways, models with Spyderholes are superior, ymmv.
If you’ve ever been in a situation where your hands are cold and numb, or you are wearing thick gloves I guarantee you’ll take the Autonomy button over a spydie hole. The spydie hole knives become two handed for me with a lot of gloves or if my hands are super cold.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

The best part about Spyderco's Plunge Lock automatics is that, if the spring ever does break, the knife can still be opened/locked/closed/locked by the button, just manually. The spring doesn't control the lock at all, so there isn't a reliability concern like some other automatics may have. That's one of the biggest reasons I feel safe carrying and using my Autonomy the way I do.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:22 am
The best part about Spyderco's Plunge Lock automatics is that, if the spring ever does break, the knife can still be opened/locked/closed/locked by the button, just manually. The spring doesn't control the lock at all, so there isn't a reliability concern like some other automatics may have. That's one of the biggest reasons I feel safe carrying and using my Autonomy the way I do.
Just another reason why I want one . Very well thought out feature the I was unaware of about operation. Thank you Dave ! Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

The Autonomy has to be one of the most thought out, best engineered and built knife out there. I'll second the cold hands and deployment button. My experience is roadside. I can't imagine the Bering Sea or North Atlantic.
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

bearrowland wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:33 am
The Autonomy has to be one of the most thought out, best engineered and built knife out there. I'll second the cold hands and deployment button. My experience is roadside. I can't imagine the Bering Sea or North Atlantic.
I found the Orange available, Waiting on a buddy to decide if he wants to buy a rare Auto I have in collection. Hope it will still be available. Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:20 am
bearrowland wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:33 am
I found the Orange available, Waiting on a buddy to decide if he wants to buy a rare Auto I have in collection. Hope it will still be available. Dan
Good for you Dan!!
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

MNOSD member 0032
akapennypincher

Post by akapennypincher »

They are Forbidden Fruit everyone wants because of word restricted.

Go to gun show in Arizona, can be bought as cheap as 15 bucks for Chinese copies,

Spyderdo thumb hole model opens fast, cuts, and for most part is no finicky about dust.

Who need an auto, not me.

Who wants an auto most prople who love knives.
Araignee

Post by Araignee »

This thread got me thinking that an Automini, the size of a Chaparral or Delica, could be pretty cool.
Hydrashok

Post by Hydrashok »

My oh my, is this a long thread lol, part of the appeal of auto ownership is only understood by owning one imo, nothing beats the feeling of taking a knife out to use it and having it nicely deploy automatically, the feeling of having a knife snap out and lock into place with a satisfying snap and recoil is something that has to be experienced, I suppose it’s a hit or miss thing but if you you know, you know it’s just fun and cool in my opinion.
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

Exactly 💯
Barry

Bonne Journey!

MNOSD member 0032
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

I'll never buy a Chinese model, but I am looking at them. Within the year I may own a few.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

aicolainen wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:33 am
Living where autos can only be acquired on a very hard to acquire collectors license, I can’t speak from experience, but I have read stuff on the internet.
First of all, is probably the fun factor. I guess that’s the main attraction.

From a practical point of view, it’s suppose to make sense for some users in certain situations:
Physically impaired persons that is lacking dexterity, finger strength or coordination.
Hunters that gets their hands contaminated with blood can have a hard time deploying a manual knife.
First responders, that are subject to stress, chemical contamination or both, will not consistently be able to get a solid deployment and lock up with a manual folder.

These are just the pro’s, there’s obviously cons that needs to be considered as well.
I've used knives under stress for self defense starting at age 9, then again at 50. You do have to train a bit, but it is not that difficult. Not for me anyway. But I still plan on owning a few autos soon.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Naperville wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 10:09 pm
I'll never buy a Chinese model, but I am looking at them. Within the year I may own a few.
Well, that doesn't make much sense.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 4:36 am
Naperville wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 10:09 pm
Well, that doesn't make much sense.
OOPS..... I meant, "I'll never buy a Chinese model. I am looking at automatics and within the year I may own a few."

Getting lazy.... ;)
kriezek

Post by kriezek »

As someone with arthritis, flipper knives have been making their way into my hands more and more because they are easier to open. Compression locks and button locks seem to be a bit easier than back locks which were my previous preference. The flippers got me looking at automatics and then I got an Autonomy 2. It is easy to use, but not much easier than a good flipper.

I intend to put some wear on it also because I am interested in LC200N steel as well as an EDC steel. My needs are simple and I don't torture my knives (anymore). So it should be just fine.
Current Carry Rotation - PM2, Techno 2, Autonomy 2, Smock, SpydieChef, Mantra 3

Top 5 - Stretch, Delica 4, Techno 2, Smock, PM2
xnmw

Post by xnmw »

OTFs have a lot of advantages—you can draw, deploy, cut, and retract essentially without changing your grip. The Autonomy 2, I just enjoy so many aspects of it—the ergonomics, the blade shape and grind and cutting performance, the steel, and of course the action. I just took mine kayak camping and I don’t think there was a better knife for the job. Even if it only ended up cutting my steak this trip. The button is great, but the build and just the solidity and the lockup are stellar—if I had to trust my life to a folder I’m not sure I’d grab anything else? Hell of a knife.

Downsides—it’s got some weight to it, and I don’t want the safety (a couple times it was inadvertently locked when I wanted to deploy it) but you can double lock it open, so maybe that’s a wash. Big LC200N fan.

Everyone’s got to get their one Microtech dagger, but it’s probably the most useless type of knife, to me. OTFs, I like a single edge and as slicey of a grind as I can get. BM Shootout is a favorite. Unless the thing breaks on me, I think it will go down as a woefully unappreciated knife. Hard to escape the price and the feel in the hand.