Autonomy 2 storage

Discussion of Restricted Models by Spyderco.
jegred2

Autonomy 2 storage

Post by jegred2 »

How should I properly store an Autonomy 2 to prevent undue wear on the spring. Should it be stored open, or does it even matter? I own two Autonomy 2’s so one doesn’t get used regularly. My other plan is to just to store it with the spring removed, but I like being able to just grab my knives and go when I want them.
RustyIron

Re: Autonomy 2 storage

Post by RustyIron »

You don't need to do anything special to maintain the integrity of your spring.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I leave mine closed.
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

In the reading I've done most springs don't take a "set" when kept in a compressed state. The bigger issues is the fatigue that happens from cycling the spring. It's only going to have some many repetitions before fatiguing and eventually failing.
Rinzler

Post by Rinzler »

VashHash wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:31 am
I leave mine closed.
Same
jegred2

Post by jegred2 »

Bemo wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:12 pm
In the reading I've done most springs don't take a "set" when kept in a compressed state. The bigger issues is the fatigue that happens from cycling the spring. It's only going to have some many repetitions before fatiguing and eventually failing.
Sounds like I’m good to store it closed then. For the spring I figure it will last a very long time, and I have 4 replacement springs if it ever gets too weak or breaks. I’d bet the Autonomy 2 lasts just as long if not longer than any of my Ti frame locks.
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

You ever want to know about torsion springs, ask a garage door repairman. And no that's not me, but last time I needed a spring changed out I expressed some interest and learned a ton.
paladin

Post by paladin »

What is truth? Pontius Pilate
Rinzler

Post by Rinzler »

Something that might be interesting to add to this discussion is how the autonomy spring is preloaded upon installation. Thus, whether or not the blade is open or closed, the springs will always be compressed to some extent.
czgunner

Post by czgunner »

Springs do not wear out in a static position of being closed or open. Springs wear out from cycling from compressed to uncompressed.

Where do you guys get the springs?
jegred2

Post by jegred2 »

czgunner wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:13 pm
Springs do not wear out in a static position of being closed or open. Springs wear out from cycling from compressed to uncompressed.

Where do you guys get the springs?
I get the spring direct from Spyderco.
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

Just a funny irony. I referenced by garage door spring earlier as a learning opportunity. Well after over a decade, it broke again this week. Maybe it will be another learning opportunity, or I'll use it's sacrifice as an excuse to purchase the Autonomy 2 and learn the lesson and buy a replacement spring now.
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

Always a good time to buy a knife Bemo 👍
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

Bemo wrote:
Thu Dec 23, 2021 8:34 pm
Just a funny irony. I referenced by garage door spring earlier as a learning opportunity. Well after over a decade, it broke again this week. Maybe it will be another learning opportunity, or I'll use it's sacrifice as an excuse to purchase the Autonomy 2 and learn the lesson and buy a replacement spring now.
Anyone know where it's possible to purchase an Autonomy 2? I've been looking and not finding!
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

I purchased mine from DLT. Took a few attempts as they were getting them in small batches and selling out quick. It's a beefier knife than I expected. I'm impressed that it opens with authority but doesn't try to torque itself out of your hand like a few other autos I've had.
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

Bemo wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:16 am
I purchased mine from DLT. Took a few attempts as they were getting them in small batches and selling out quick. It's a beefier knife than I expected. I'm impressed that it opens with authority but doesn't try to torque itself out of your hand like a few other autos I've had.
Thanks! I'm a lefty, hope my index finger is strong enough...