My Spyderco Collection

A place for you to post your pictures of Spyderco knives. Read Announcement before posting!
chriscrawfordphoto

My Spyderco Collection

Post by chriscrawfordphoto »

crawford-spyderco.jpg
My Spyderco collection. Bought my first (the Stretch 2) back in January and already have six knives and the sharpmaker! :bug-red

• Spyderco Paramilitary 2, March 2023 sprint run with 15V steel and brown G10 scales.

• Spyderco Paramilitary 2, Cruwear steel and brown Micarta scales.

• Spyderco Para3, S45VN steel and black G10 scales.

• Spyderco Para3, Maxamet steel and gray G10 scales.

• Spyderco Spyopera, M390 steel and Micarta scales.

• Spyderco Stretch 2, VG-10 steel and black FRN scales.
Manixguy@1994

Re: My Spyderco Collection

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Since January ? You have been busy and tasteful start . Time to show them off individually . 😁 MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

chriscrawfordphoto wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:51 am
crawford-spyderco.jpg

My Spyderco collection. Bought my first (the Stretch 2) back in January and already have six knives and the sharpmaker! :bug-red

• Spyderco Paramilitary 2, March 2023 sprint run with 15V steel and brown G10 scales.

• Spyderco Paramilitary 2, Cruwear steel and brown Micarta scales.

• Spyderco Para3, S45VN steel and black G10 scales.

• Spyderco Para3, Maxamet steel and gray G10 scales.

• Spyderco Spyopera, M390 steel and Micarta scales.

• Spyderco Stretch 2, VG-10 steel and black FRN scales.
Great start to your collection…some really nice ones there…the Spyopera is so cool 👊
chriscrawfordphoto

SaltyCaribbeanDfly wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:11 am
Great start to your collection…some really nice ones there…the Spyopera is so cool 👊
Yeah, the Spyopera is cool. I never carry it, though. My original reason for buying a Spyderco knife was that I'm right-handed, and my right hand does not work right. I had a stroke when I was 37 (I'm 47 now) and the right side of my body was affected. I have trouble with fine motor skills in my right hand's fingers. I can type on a fullsize desktop computer's keyboard, but can't type on a smartphone's tiny touch screen, for example.

I've carried pocket knives since I was a little kid. My dad collects knives, and he got me into it. I've got a lot of swiss army knives and traditional slipjoints. I have been having an increasingly hard time opening the blades on knives with a nail nick without the blade slipping off my fingernail and snapping shut. The Spyderco knives I have, except the Spyopera, work great. My crippled hand can open them with my thumb using the Spydie hole, making it much easier to use a pocketknife again!

The problem with the Spyopera is that the handle is small and slippery and the spring tension on the blade is too much. I have a hard time keeping a good grip on it while opening it with my thumb and have had the same issue with it that I have with traditional slipjoints. I'm afraid I'm going to hurt myself with it. It is too cool looking to get rid of, so I kept it after I bought it. I might give it to my dad, but I don't know if I want to part with it yet :thinking
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

So sorry to hear about your situation,but it sounds like you’re adjusting rather well and it hasn’t stopped you from having a passion for knives…have you thought about trying an automatic like the Autonomy 2?…how bout taking a look at Spyderco knives that are ambidextrous like the Manix 2 lw or any of the other many back locks they offer…Or learn left handed…I am right handed but wanted to learn how to open/close some of my knives lefty style after I got a purty bad cut on my right middle finger changing the blades on a wood chipper once and knew I’d go nuts if the only deployment method I had was a slow roll 🤣…anyway after a couple days I got fairly proficient at it and now I do it all the time…AND it helps if you’re breaking in a knife to switch it up a little…Just my 2 cents on the Spyopera - give it to your father as I’m certain he would appreciate it and after all he’s the main reason you love knives, plus you know you can always handle it or even get it back cause that’s what father’s do!!!…Keep on keeping on Spydie Brotha 👊
chriscrawfordphoto

SaltyCaribbeanDfly wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:33 am
So sorry to hear about your situation,but it sounds like you’re adjusting rather well and it hasn’t stopped you from having a passion for knives…have you thought about trying an automatic like the Autonomy 2?…how bout taking a look at Spyderco knives that are ambidextrous like the Manix 2 lw or any of the other many back locks they offer…Or learn left handed…I am right handed but wanted to learn how to open/close some of my knives lefty style after I got a purty bad cut on my right middle finger changing the blades on a wood chipper once and knew I’d go nuts if the only deployment method I had was a slow roll 🤣…anyway after a couple days I got fairly proficient at it and now I do it all the time…AND it helps if you’re breaking in a knife to switch it up a little…Just my 2 cents on the Spyopera - give it to your father as I’m certain he would appreciate it and after all he’s the main reason you love knives, plus you know you can always handle it or even get it back cause that’s what father’s do!!!…Keep on keeping on Spydie Brotha 👊
I've thought about getting an automatic knife. I never considered one before because they were illegal to own in Indiana, where I live, until very recently. I always thought that odd, since carrying a gun has always been legal here (with a permit, which was easy to get). Now Indiana allows carrying guns with no permit needed, and any kind of knife except 'ballistic knives.' I've never even seen a ballistic knife. The law here defines them as knives whose blades are fired from the handle like a projectile (meaning it actually separates from the handle, unlike an automatic knife).