Benchmade guy

A place for you to post your pictures of Spyderco knives. Read Announcement before posting!
GT99

Benchmade guy

Post by GT99 »

I am a benchmade guy and was looking at grabbing a Adamas or Freek then something happened....

First spyderco knife...absolutely love it, fit, finish is awesome, wondering what took so long now, Shaman is now on the radar this weekend, guess I can grab that Adamas or Freek down the road
Attachments
smock 1.jpg
smock 2.jpg
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Re: Benchmade guy

Post by apollo »

Nice catch definitely for a first spydie!
The Shaman will definitely be up you’re alley its a sturdy beast that can cut like a lazer,
and is very comfortable while doing so.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

I had a large Adamas and have a Shaman . Adamas is not a bad knife and have other BM models . The Shaman is much more comfortable in hand . Both are tanks , but something I don’t worry about . I think you will like the Shaman . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
GT99

Post by GT99 »

I was never really a fan of the looks of most spyderco like delicas, enduras, PM2 and 3 and most others, didn't understand the hype, but when I first saw the smock I wanted it and same with the Shaman, that smooth handle to spine without the big lump above the hole like others, I was basically looking for either or for 6 months and sold out everywhere in Canada, they were my must have spydercos, I almost had a manix 15v which I also kinda like the look of as I was on a notification list and sadly I was at work, got the email and tried to buy it about an hour after and all sold out already. Debated the Native but kimda worried about the size being too small., however I kimda like the native chief so might get that after the Shaman.

Funny part is I didn't like the PM 2 but everyone swears by the ergos and looking at it I can see how it would be good functionally. And after getting rhe smock I was actually really impressed by the quality and feel, I mean I know people compare them to benchmade but I was really suprised how nice it was (actually came super sharp too unlike some "other" company lol) I still do plan on a few more benchmade I have on the radar but I don't know what this knife did to me but I changed my perception of spyderco, I might be switching teams now lol was not expected but really like the quality and the spyderco line has the best options if you are into different steels, nobody beats them there, so have a feeling a lot more knives are coming now
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Great choice for a first! The Shaman is a beast, but very capable and extremely comfortable model. You will like it.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
harryo97

Post by harryo97 »

GT99 wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 12:33 pm
I am a benchmade guy and was looking at grabbing a Adamas or Freek then something happened....

First spyderco knife...absolutely love it, fit, finish is awesome, wondering what took so long now, Shaman is now on the radar this weekend, guess I can grab that Adamas or Freek down the road
Funny enough my story’s kind of the opposite of yours 😂 I’ve been a Spyderco guy ever since I got into knives and just purchased my first Benchmade and I gotta say, I’m impressed. Now, this is no ordinary Benchmade, it’s the Benchmade 928 Osborne Proxy, a frame lock flipper that’s discontinued but as soon as I saw and handled it I fell in love. I can’t stand axis locks I just don’t trust them but as soon as I saw this and realized the uniqueness of the lock (the “thumb studs” are actually used as outer locking/stop pin mechanisms) I was like ooooh I need to grab this. Also think it’s a cool collector’s piece due to this being Warren Osborne’s last design before he passed.

Giygas

Post by Giygas »

harryo97 wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:20 am
GT99 wrote:

Funny enough my story’s kind of the opposite of yours 😂 I’ve been a Spyderco guy ever since I got into knives and just purchased my first Benchmade and I gotta say, I’m impressed. Now, this is no ordinary Benchmade, it’s the Benchmade 928 Osborne Proxy, a frame lock flipper that’s discontinued but as soon as I saw and handled it I fell in love. I can’t stand axis locks I just don’t trust them but as soon as I saw this and realized the uniqueness of the lock (the “thumb studs” are actually used as outer locking/stop pin mechanisms) I was like ooooh I need to grab this. Also think it’s a cool collector’s piece due to this being Warren Osborne’s last design before he passed.

I've been trying to find a semi-reasonably priced one of these for quite a while now. I wish I appreciated the design when they were discontinued and selling for ~$175. Found one, for basically that same price!

Benchmade puts out a ton of... questionable... designs, but their titanium models are usually great!

I love external stop pins. One of my favorite brands use them to hold the knife open, and closed. Really cool feature.
Last edited by Giygas on Tue Feb 28, 2023 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Currently testing: M398, D3, SLD-Magic
Favorites: 10V, s90v
Wishlist: S290, Vancron, S125V, K890
17 Spydies, 14 steels
12 Maxace, 8 steels

https://instagram.com/cnyknifenut
https://youtube.com/@CNYKnifeNerd
GT99

Post by GT99 »

harryo97 wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:20 am
GT99 wrote:

That's a sweet knife to get your hands on, loved all of the Osborne designs, still looking to get a Rift but they are also discontinued, same as the contego. Like beefier 940's.

Shaman came in as well and really liking that now as well, except the compression lock, I really dislike it, the smock with the bottom is great but when I try to flick the blade closed on the Shaman the gaurd/choil part hits my finger when the blade closes and bites a bit, I keep thinking I hit my finger with the blade and think **** that's gonna be a bad cut with how sharp the blade is and how hard it felt lol