Is this normal spyderhole finish? [Seki city quality]

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Michal O

Is this normal spyderhole finish? [Seki city quality]

Post by Michal O »

Hi guys, just purchased Lil Temperance 3. Thing wasn't cheap in Europe.

Is it normal spyderhole finish in that model or not? I'm spoiled with Taichung Spydies and WE knives?

Looks like rough finish after drilling without any other finish. I know a little about drilling and cnc machining. I consider sending it back to dealer because it's too much to swallow for such money. I can probably finish it myself with dremel but c'mon...

Nice design, very comfortable, but finish is meh... Action is worse for now than in any knife from Spyderco I have.

Sorry for starting it in gallery, my bad. Could moderator move it to general forum discussion?
Current collection: Lil Temperance G10, Shaman, Lil Native, Massad Ayoob cruwear, Smock, Street Beat, Street Bowie, Para 3, PM2 purple G10 cruwear, Canis, Rhino, Endura 4 K390, Watu, Kapara, Amalgam, Sliverax, Police 4 se K390, Police 4 pe K390, Khukuri, Barong, Ulize.
Bill1170

Re: Is this normal spyderhole finish? [Seki city quality]

Post by Bill1170 »

Michal O wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:30 am
Hi guys, just purchased Lil Temperance 3. Thing wasn't cheap in Europe.

Is it normal spyderhole finish in that model or not? I'm spoiled with Taichung Spydies and WE knives?

Looks like rough finish after drilling without any other finish. I know a little about drilling and cnc machining. I consider sending it back to dealer because it's too much to swallow for such money. I can probably finish it myself with dremel but c'mon...

Nice design, very comfortable, but finish is meh... Action is worse for now than in any knife from Spyderco I have.

Sorry for starting it in gallery, my bad. Could moderator move it to general forum discussion?
Is there a functional deficiency in the opening hole, or is the hole just not attractive enough? It looks fine in your photos. The action on brand-new folders has been known to improve with cleaning, lubrication, and use (AKA “breaking in”).
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I'd say the inside of the Spyderhole on your knife looks perfectly normal to me.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I concur, the hole looks like the ones I have here. I also understand that at the premium you pay in Europe for a Spyderco, so I get why you'd want a better finish.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Probably just a dull laser in Seki. :zany

I've had a few Mules with this issue, but in the tang. Easy enough to remedy.
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
Michal O

Post by Michal O »

The Deacon wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 12:27 pm
I'd say the inside of the Spyderhole on your knife looks perfectly normal to me.
Compared to my Taichung or Golden models, it looks unfinished. I'm familiar with how hole looks like after only drilling, because I made a lot of them in steel. They just don't bother with later finishing. Strange for such expensive knife. And very dissapointing. It's for people who don't care about finish and action on knife.

I saw now on gpknives review, that hole is rough too like in mine. But on other pictures in internet it looks better. So it's hit or miss.

I'll rather send it back to dealer and buy another Taichung Spyderco instead. Sad, because design is nice, very comfortable in hand. If only it was made in Taiwan, for sure it would be 10 times better.

I could fix bad action, finish on hole with dremel, and few other things I noticed... If it was $50 knife, not $216.
Last edited by Michal O on Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Current collection: Lil Temperance G10, Shaman, Lil Native, Massad Ayoob cruwear, Smock, Street Beat, Street Bowie, Para 3, PM2 purple G10 cruwear, Canis, Rhino, Endura 4 K390, Watu, Kapara, Amalgam, Sliverax, Police 4 se K390, Police 4 pe K390, Khukuri, Barong, Ulize.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

If it's not scraping your finger, who cares?? Do you really pay that much attention to the looks of the opening hole? Also, the action is typically a very easy fix...just tweak your pivot screw a bit.

Just pulled my Golden made UKPK out of my pocket to check the hole...looks just like yours, and I've had this knife for 3 years and never noticed. Really a non issue.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

This is my Cruwear PM2. I don't think this is a problem. Zoom in close enough and you will see all kinds of finishing marks. I would not worry.

- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

My Seki and US made knives have a similar less well finished aspect to the holes, while my Italian and Taiwan made ones have clean, finished holes. Just data points, not trying to start anything.
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Michal O

Post by Michal O »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:14 pm
If it's not scraping your finger, who cares?? Do you really pay that much attention to the looks of the opening hole? Also, the action is typically a very easy fix...just tweak your pivot screw a bit.

Just pulled my Golden made UKPK out of my pocket to check the hole...looks just like yours, and I've had this knife for 3 years and never noticed. Really a non issue.
If I'm paying $216, where for me it's like for you $800, You can guess if it's issue. Especially after several Taichungs I have. :winking-tongue

Action isn't easy fix, I tried losening, but with side to side play it's still worse than in Para 3 or Shaman. It probably needs to be dissasembled and cleaned, I won't do that to risk that I strip small t6 screws. Also I couldn't send it back after it. I see huge gaps between washers and liners, also between stop pin and liner on one side. Screws are tight.
cjk

Post by cjk »

All of my Seki knives look like this. I never noticed until today. I probably won't notice again. It's kinda like looking at the underside of a car and complaining the bottom isn't as pretty as the top. How does it cut?

If you're dissatisfied and can send it back, send it back.
James Y

Post by James Y »

Looks normal to me. I have some knives, Seki and Golden, with that same finish in the hole, and some without it. I have an older Delica whose inside of the hole looks much less finished than that. I'm picky myself, but what the finish looks like inside the opening hole isn't even on my radar

I guess the only advice you will accept is don't buy any more Seki knives.

If you want as close to perfect fit and finish as possible on a production knife, try Chris Reeve Knives. But you'll be paying a lot more for that perfect fit and finish.

Jim
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Well, here's a shot of the Spyderhole on one of my Taichung knives, a CF Sage 3 to be exact. Might be a trifle better, but I'm hard pressed to see any significant difference in smoothness between it and the OP's Seki specimen. However, as with most things in life, YMMV.

DSC_0002.JPG
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Michal O wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:30 am

All of my Seki knives (I have MANY) are like this. The edges have the perfect amount of smoothness vs "bite" in my opinion. These are production knives in which many thousands are produced. They aren't going add costs to hand polish every hole because a few people are OCD and don't want to see machine marks inside the hole when they are inspecting it with their jewlers loupe. The holes are perfect the way they are.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
cjk

Post by cjk »

it's in-opening-hole jimping :winking-tongue
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Since the hole is a signature element of Spyderco knives, it is rather surprising that it does not get more finishing than it receives currently. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

cjk wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 3:09 pm
it's in-opening-hole jimping :winking-tongue
Ok, that's funny! :grin-smiling-eyes
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
embry386

Post by embry386 »

All my newer Seki knives have this, I attack 'em with some super fine sandpaper for a few minutes when I receive them, and that fixes it right up. A bit annoying, but I guess a lot of people like the sharper edges, because it's helpful when you're trying to operate the knife with gloves on.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

All my newer Seki knives have this, I attack 'em with some super fine sandpaper for a few minutes when I receive them, and that fixes it right up. A bit annoying, but I guess a lot of people like the sharper edges, because it's helpful when you're trying to operate the knife with gloves on.
It's the way they are supposed to be, you are correct. It works better that way . They know some people will not like it but that's the minority. For those that like it polished there is always paper.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I don’t think the OP is referring to the sharpness of the hole, but to the rough unfinished interior of the hole.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001