Vivi's Blades

A place for you to post your pictures of Spyderco knives. Read Announcement before posting!
vivi

Vivi's Blades

Post by vivi »

I dusted off some old IDE hard drives tonight and found a bunch of old pictures I thought were long gone.

Here's some of my knives, past and present.

At one point I had a leaf blade Lil temp 1.

I fell in love with the handle real quick, but grew to dislike the clip just as fast. It was bulky in the hand and flashy in the pocket. Out of every folding knife I've held, this would have to go in my top 5 when it comes to ergonomics. I remember describing it to my buddy, "It feels like I squished a ball of playdough, then turned it into a knife handle."

I bought a ZDP189 Endura with some money I got from a landscaping gig. I took the saber grind flat to the stone and converted it into a scandi grind. The edge, despite how thin it was, never did fail. I used it fairly hard too, whittling hardwoods etc.

Another regrind. Early into my spyderco collecting phase, I was really into bushcraft. My test for how good a knife cut, was to go cut some wood shavings or feather sticks with it. I was obsessed with running really thin edges, like you can see on this OG Native I picked up when they were $40 at any Walmart.

Fun fact about this Native. I also modded the handle profile to resemble what the Native 5 looks like today.

See that pikal? I was an early adopter. I had no interest in the martial applications, but was very interested in the tech. I wanted to try the removable wave, a feature I'm sad we haven't seen since. I was particularly excited for the caged ball lock. I had owned many regular ball locks over the years, and found them a little tricky to close.

I thought the whole point of the cage was to facilitate one finger closing vs two finger closing on the regular ball lock. So I spent the first day practicing until closing the Pikal with just my thumb became second nature, and I've used the CBBL that way ever since.

I'll end this with the one that started it all for me. The knife that got me into Spyderco. an old 440V single liner Military:

:unicorn
Manixguy@1994

Re: Vivi's Blades

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Great shots and memories ! Hope you can dig up more , thank you for sharing . The Military has a great look and personality. Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
bearrowland

Re: Vivi's Blades

Post by bearrowland »

I agree!
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032