Ramonade's Spydercos : Chronological Anthology

A place for you to post your pictures of Spyderco knives. Read Announcement before posting!
Ramonade

Ramonade's Spydercos : Chronological Anthology

Post by Ramonade »

I decided to create this thread in order to post my Spydercos. I wanted a thread name that wasn't copying another one : it wasn't easy !
In the next posts, you'll be able to see every Spydercos I own in the chronological order I bought them.

Let's start with my very first one : The Native 5 (C41G5) with liners and S35VN. I gave it to my brother, but I do have a picture starring him and his boys.

Last edited by Ramonade on Sun Mar 20, 2022 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Ramonade

Re: Ramonade's Spydercos : Chronological Anthology

Post by Ramonade »

After discovering Spyderco thanks to the Native 5, I wanted more, and different. That's why I went for a different blade shape and different lock : the Para 3 (C223GP) in S30V.
Still using it a lot to cut paper against a cutting board, works weirdly very well for this !

:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

I liked the Para 3, but my first Spyderco was really an experience. This time, I just wanted to test a steel I had not tried yet. And after all, I really liked the Native5... so a LW in another steel is a WHOLE different knife, isn't it ? :nerd
That's how the Native 5 LW in S110V (C41PDBL5) came in my pocket, and sealed my love for the N5 platform.
That thing did go through my move, a lot of furniture-building, and much more. Always with ease !

Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

I then bought the Chaparral LW. This one has been my daily driver for almost a year. Only the Watu really kicked it out of my pocket a bit. I find it going very well with a Ladybug as a secondary for days where small knives are enough (most often, really).

JSumm

Post by JSumm »

You can't say enough good things about the Chaparral. Amazing design.

Very nice collection! This thread is a great idea seeing the progression.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Thanks, I wanted to have an order to refer to later rather than my post-it note ! Helps to see what I use more, if I used the Chaparral more than the Watu, it's mostly because I had it way longer for example ^^ Over the years it'll start to blur out so this might help.

The Chaparral impressed me so much that I wanted to try another Taïchung made Spyderco. My budget being in the 150€ at that time didn't leave much choice and I'm glad for it !
Allowed me to buy the Sage 5 LW. I like compression locks but am more infatuated with the Natives' and Chap's backlocks. Nonetheless, the Sage 5 Lw proved to be an awesome tool that offers more edge length than the Chaparral while remaining classy and not menacing.
I was afraid it would cut as efficiently because of it's larger bladestock but it ended up being an amazing slicer.
Not the most used, but used frequently !

Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

Very nice!
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 3-11-2024 Instagram
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Exactly a month after buying the Sage 5 LW. I had read a lot, and I mean a lot, about Spyderco and their out-of-this-world knives.
The Manix 2 seemed to be a really popular knife, and I loved (and still do) my Native 5 LW in S110V. I decided to try the Manix 2 LW in BD1N. I don't think there's much to say, I'll just kindly point you fine people towards the General Discussion to see what this knife can do ;)
Speaking of kind, you can have a peak at what the future reserves thanks to this picture.

bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

The Manix is outstanding!
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Here we go. At this point I pretty much knew what I liked best from Spyderco : the N5's and Chaparral's backlocks.
However, I really liked the Para 3 too, even if the grind is pretty thick for most of the cuts I take on a day to day basis. When I saw that Maxamet Para 3, it made me research the steel, curious of how it's supposed to perform and to know if I could sharpen it correctly !

This knife kinda became the king of cardboard here. It only had an edge because I wanted too, I could've kept riding the factory edge for another 6 months if I wanted otherwise. That's a no-joke steel, on a no-joke knife.
I haven't warmed up to the PM2 much yet (weird, when the Military instantly became a favorite of mine), but I'm pretty sure that as soon as I'll get a Maxamet PM2, I'll enjoy the platform as much as I enjoy the Para 3.

Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

I wrote this post several times, some of them were closed tabs by inadvertance and others were closed on purpose.
I've had the Paramilitary 2 for some time now, but I really seem to have some trouble giving it time in the pocket.
The ergos are really nice for my hand, the blade makes way more sense than on the Para 3 but I weirdly am more susceptible to go for my Maxamet Para 3 than the PM2.

The lockstick is what has stopped me the most, I've tried many things since then and none have worked. I think I might just be stubborn, and the fact that the PM2 is so popular is having some kind of effect, like the defiance of a 5 years old. None the less, I know this is an excellent model and I am waiting for custom scales for it, just to finally have it takes it place in my rotation (Hopefully !).

Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Next purchase is my third Native 5. The Native 5 Salt.
This one is my most used knife outside of city and work carry. LC200N is really one of my favorite steels ! It's the only steel I have no issue eating with, cutting on a ceramic plate. You can get a dangerous edge back on it in a matter of seconds.
I don't know what else to say, it's a full gas no brakes sort of a knife !

Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Since I'm working a lot outside for two weeks, let's take advantage of that !
Following the N5 LW Salt is my first japanese-made Spyderco : the Endura 4 in ZDP-189. You can't hear about Spyderco without learning two names : the Paramilitary 2/PM2 and Delica.
I already had a lot of 3" blades, so I went for the big brother that is the Endura. Excellent blade, the steel intrigued me so getting both a new design and a new steel was a total win !
I've yet to really adapt to Seki-made locks, but I've litterally pushed the Endura hard through numerous materials and it's been more than easy to cut anything that got in my way.

Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

I then wanted to venture in the LBK world. The Ladybug was immediately my choice, thinner bladestock and pointier blade than the Manbug, perfect :open-grin
Chose the K390 variant. I don't baby this knife. Today I used it to trim some wood on a set of Manix 2 scales I'm making, banging the apex of the edge against the steel liners. It's good for another sharpening, but that's the only small enough blade I had around me to help carve the BBL (no relation to Brazil) slot.

Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Then, being a longtime lurker on the forum and a member for a few months, I stumbled upon the "SE performance is more than simply teeth vs no teeth." thread from David.

Made me want to try SE for the first time of my life. I've wanted to start easy money-wise and chose to pick from the Byrd line. The Byrd Hawkbill has been a good gardening knife 'till this day ! I don't have a need for it often, but when i do it always succeed easily in the task at hand.

apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

Ramonade wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2023 7:52 am
I then wanted to venture in the LBK world. The Ladybug was immediately my choice, thinner bladestock and pointier blade than the Manbug, perfect :open-grin
Chose the K390 variant. I don't baby this knife. Today I used it to trim some wood on a set of Manix 2 scales I'm making, banging the apex of the edge against the steel liners. It's good for another sharpening, but that's the only small enough blade I had around me to help carve the BBL (no relation to Brazil) slot.

That is a specialized tool you got there! :winking-tongue
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

Cool thread Robin, keep em’ coming 👊
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Ramonade wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2023 7:52 am

Nice seeing the beginning of the Manix2 scales ! Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau