Something different i'm going after

A place for you to post your pictures of Spyderco knives. Read Announcement before posting!
Knifenutwill

Something different i'm going after

Post by Knifenutwill »

I've seen Gonzos before and always looked just like a byrd with a different hole but this has my interest. I'm bidding on it. Honestly i really wanna see how the carbon fiber compares to my tenacious cf. I already know it won't even be close to as nice as my fradon lock cf Delica 4 but i love how this Gonzo looks like a pm2 except the axis lock and has smooth cf scales. My guess cf/G10 not sure

SpydernutWill89
Accutron

Re: Something different i'm going after

Post by Accutron »

Ganzo is generally considered a bad actor in the knife industry. They clone designs by Spyderco, Benchmade and others with impunity, even going as far as taking a stolen axis lock design and cramming it into a stolen PM2 pattern.

Sal had a bad encounter with Ganzo employees in the past, at a trade show where they were trying to take photos of new prototype designs to steal, right at the Spyderco booth. They had to force the Ganzo team to delete their photos.
Knifenutwill

Post by Knifenutwill »

**** i didn't know that. I thought i heard someone say they were made in the same factory as Byrd. I'm thinking twice about getting it now
SpydernutWill89
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

THIEVES
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

Copyright and patent infringement is one of the reasons I don't really like buying Chinese-made stuff, especially from China-based companies. They do so much IP theft, and so few cases are prosecuted, they're practically getting away with murder here.

I had bought a Sanremu 7010 to test and found it decent, but then when I learned it was a Chris Reeve Small Sebenza clone, I put it aside, never to be carried again. Here, we see the use of the trademark "round hole" without Spyderco's approval and Benchmade's AXIS lock. At the pretty darn low price of Byrd why bother with a knockoff? Most Byrd are in the same price range as Ganzo, you've got better quality, and if you believe in Murphy's law like I do, and something does go wrong, just send it to Golden as you would a regular Spyderco.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I'm not going to tell you how to spend your money but I will say that I do not support thieves and Ganzo are no better than thieves. Therefore, I will never support them.

If someone told you they're made in the same factory as Byrd knives, they made it up. That's not true.
-Nick :bug-red
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I had a thread on here somewhere last year where a coworker bought one and we compared it to an actual PM2. I do remember the "carbon fiber" being very slick, and honestly looking pretty similar to the Fradon Lock style (which I personally think looks pretty cheap compared to other carbon fiber styles)
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Knifenutwill

Post by Knifenutwill »

I got outbid thankfully and won't bid anymore. Thanks everyone for telling me! I would never want to support a company stealing from a company that i love so much. The 26 out of 31 years I've been alive I've only and always carried Spyderco knives. I do carry a leatherman multitool also because i can't afford the spydiewrench lol. But again thanks everyone for telling me. I definitely won't bid on it again
SpydernutWill89
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

Knifenutwill wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:37 am
I got outbid thankfully and won't bid anymore. Thanks everyone for telling me! I would never want to support a company stealing from a company that i love so much. The 26 out of 31 years I've been alive I've only and always carried Spyderco knives. I do carry a leatherman multitool also because i can't afford the spydiewrench lol. But again thanks everyone for telling me. I definitely won't bid on it again
A forum post from another knife forum really saved my rear once.

I had bid on a supposedly US-made custom knife on "that auction site" and got outbid. I did some research after that, and learned that basically, they were inexpensive Pakistan-made knives that were being imported and sold without everything being straightforward; and the owner/seller of the knives was a nasty piece of work. He had a "lawyer" (and I stress the quotation marks) actually try to sue some members of another forum who'd found out about his scheme. That really saved me almost $70. I've noticed you can find some custom knives from somewhat known makers (including a couple who have appeared on Forged in Fire) used for that range since they aren't that well known and aren't that desirable.
standy99

Post by standy99 »

cody6268 wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:02 pm
Knifenutwill wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:37 am
A forum post from another knife forum really saved my rear once.

I had bid on a supposedly US-made custom knife on "that auction site" and got outbid. I did some research after that, and learned that basically, they were inexpensive Pakistan-made knives that were being imported and sold without everything being straightforward; and the owner/seller of the knives was a nasty piece of work. He had a "lawyer" (and I stress the quotation marks) actually try to sue some members of another forum who'd found out about his scheme. That really saved me almost $70. I've noticed you can find some custom knives from somewhat known makers (including a couple who have appeared on Forged in Fire) used for that range since they aren't that well known and aren't that desirable.

A lot of knives sold buy mythological knife makers are just Pakistan bought knives past off as created by said mythological knife maker.
Was one on Etsy that was an American made up forge name and shipped from the US but one of the photos a Pakistan village and tooling was shown in the background. Had to laugh at the hand of a Pakistani with a tool shop with village like tools and setting was accidentally put into the photos of another chopper for sale. Buying a Pakistani Damascus chopper for $200+ US
:(
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.