Straight Spine Stretch 2 in Desert Ironwood

A place for you to post your pictures of Spyderco knives. Read Announcement before posting!
The Deacon

Straight Spine Stretch 2 in Desert Ironwood

Post by The Deacon »

Received these scales in the mail today from Suingab, put them right on a straight spine Stretch 2...

Pics below are his, with the scales mounted on a regular Stretch 2. Mine show the color better, but am posting these because I think they show the texturing better than mine...

Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
bearrowland

Re: Straight Spine Stretch 2 in Desert Ironwood

Post by bearrowland »

Nice!!
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
Mike Blue

Post by Mike Blue »

Wow that's hard to beat.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Very nice Deacon!

How do they feel in hand?

How's the fit?
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

kennethsime wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:48 am
Very nice Deacon!

How's the fit?

I like the way they feel. IMHO, the Stretch handle shape offers a very secure grip even with smooth scales, but the corrugations give the wood about as much traction as the bi-directional FRN scales have. As for fit, I'd say it's as good as the original FRN scales and backspacer. Recesses for the liners are a perfect depth, his CF backspacer comes with a metal pin in the same location as the studs on the FRN one, and everything lines up as it should.
Paul
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

The Deacon wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:25 am
kennethsime wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:48 am
Very nice Deacon!

How's the fit?

I like the way they feel. IMHO, the Stretch handle shape offers a very secure grip even with smooth scales, but the corrugations give the wood about as much traction as the bi-directional FRN scales have. As for fit, I'd say it's as good as the original FRN scales and backspacer. Recesses for the liners are a perfect depth, his CF backspacer comes with a metal pin in the same location as the studs on the FRN one, and everything lines up as it should.
Looks Fantastic Deacon, thanks for the report.

I put some custom Allen Putnam scales on a Para 3 and felt like the fit was maybe 80% on. They seem to have "settled" after a few weeks, but the fit still isn't perfect around the pivot. Close enough that I'm going to keep them installed, anyway.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

The Deacon wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:08 pm
Received these scales in the mail today from Suingab, put them right on a straight spine Stretch 2...

Looks great!!

I´d also love to see that knife opened, maybe you´ĺl find the time to post a pic? :)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Lovely set of scales! Love the grain and color of desert ironwood.
Can't stand the Ansø pattern though, had two knives with those and sold one and replaced the scales on the other :)
That's purely subjective personal preference though. There's no denying Andrej/Suingab makes top notch scales with "factory" fit and finish!

EDITED, typo..
Last edited by Larry_Mott on Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:50 pm
Looks great!!

I´d also love to see that knife opened, maybe you´ĺl find the time to post a pic? :)

Glad you like it. Here' are couple shots of it open...

Larry_Mott wrote: Lovely set of scales! Love the grain and color of desert ironwood.
Can't stand the Ansø pattern though, had to knives with those and sold one and replaced the scales on the other :)
That's purely subjective personal preference though. There's no denying Andrej/Suingab makes top notch scales with "factory" fit and finish!

No problem, Larry. I find that texture feels good in my hand and makes an already interesting wood grain look even better, but nothing works for everyone. Had a neighbor who thought the Pontiac Aztec was the best looking car GM ever built, so I don't expect everyone to like what I like.
Paul
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

The Deacon wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:57 am
Wartstein wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:50 pm
Looks great!!

Glad you like it. Here' are couple shots of it open...

Thanks, Paul, such a beautiful knife!! :)

I still think the Straight Spine Stretch 2 looks more harmonic than the "regular" Stretch 2, due to the very slightly longer blade and the shortened choil in the blade part, which gives it more actual edge. Though just about 2 or 3 mm (more edge) to me that looks perfectly proportioned. (Functionally speaking I still prefer the "curved spine" version)

Larry_Mott wrote: Lovely set of scales! Love the grain and color of desert ironwood.
Can't stand the Ansø pattern though, had to knives with those and sold one and replaced the scales on the other :)

No problem, Larry. I find that texture feels good in my hand and makes an already interesting wood grain look even better, but nothing works for everyone. Had a neighbor who thought the Pontiac Aztec was the best looking car GM ever built, so I don't expect everyone to like what I like.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:36 pm
Thanks, Paul, such a beautiful knife!! :)

I still think the Straight Spine Stretch 2 looks more harmonic than the "regular" Stretch 2, due to the very slightly longer blade and the shortened choil in the blade part, which gives it more actual edge. Though just about 2 or 3 mm (more edge) to me that looks perfectly proportioned. (Functionally speaking I still prefer the "curved spine" version)

I like both versions, and would love to see a third with the "Gary Graley" / PE Dyad style blade because no one blade shape excels at all tasks. However, I do realize that producing a Stretch 2 like that would be somewhat risky for Spyderco.
Paul
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

That looks very impressive, nice!
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram