Rare and Unusual Spydercos

A place for you to post your pictures of Spyderco knives. Read Announcement before posting!
JD Spydo

Re: Rare and Unusual Spydercos

Post by JD Spydo »

Pokey wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 3:07 pm
Here’s what I’ve got.
Where the heck did you find that TOAD model :D?? I haven't even seen a pic of one of those in quite some time. I bet that TOAD would be a great seller in a Sprint Run because it's had collector appeal for some time now. I think they only made that for about a year. It's also hard to believe that TOAD model was available in PE & SE both. I've heard that the SE version is nearly impossible to find.

Spyderco should consider doing a Sprint Run of that one. I bet that would sell out fast.
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:51 am
Pokey wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 3:07 pm
Here’s what I’ve got.
Where the heck did you find that TOAD model :D?? I haven't even seen a pic of one of those in quite some time. I bet that TOAD would be a great seller in a Sprint Run because it's had collector appeal for some time now. I think they only made that for about a year. It's also hard to believe that TOAD model was available in PE & SE both. I've heard that the SE version is nearly impossible to find.

Spyderco should consider doing a Sprint Run of that one. I bet that would sell out fast.

If memory serves me right, I think they made the Toad’s for about three years. They were a sleeper model from back around the turn of the century, now they’re collectable.

I used to buy and trade with a vendor at a local gun show back in 2019 BC. (Before Covid) He would take stray Spyderco’s in to round out his stock, but his interest was more in old pocket knives.

I sold him some Kershaw’s, CRKT’s, etc. He had the Toad, a Cricket, and a G10 Manbug. I asked him what they were priced at and he said, “$50, your choice.”

And the rest is history. ;)

With the interest/nostalgia in the original Toad, I think you’re right; a Sprint would sell.
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

This makes me miss my titanium peter herbst second, and my mouse with the fish logo
AH80s

Post by AH80s »

967168A7-4963-42E9-AB63-30D645B59B0E.jpeg
A Tim Zowada.
Box has 10/23/01 JL on it, and in looking up info on the knife found Spydiewiki which says this should have a 3mm blade thickness, this though has a 2.5mm blade.
Andrew
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

man, a compression lock ocelot... I'd like to see that brought back!
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I'm sure a few of you guys remember the old GODDARD Spyderco models? The last one I had was a gray handled one with VG-10 blade steel. Now in the past two years I've heard through some of my friends I've traded knives with over the years that there were a FEW and I mean very FEW of the GODDARD models in full SE. And I heard that they are bringing some lofty prices. I've never seen or handled one myself.

I also heard that there were a few of the old Terzuola models in full SE. I'm mainly speaking of the C-15 model. I've never seen one of them either. My point is there are getting to be a few of the older full SE models that are gaining collector appeal.
vivi

Post by vivi »

JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:28 pm
I'm sure a few of you guys remember the old GODDARD Spyderco models? The last one I had was a gray handled one with VG-10 blade steel. Now in the past two years I've heard through some of my friends I've traded knives with over the years that there were a FEW and I mean very FEW of the GODDARD models in full SE. And I heard that they are bringing some lofty prices. I've never seen or handled one myself.

I also heard that there were a few of the old Terzuola models in full SE. I'm mainly speaking of the C-15 model. I've never seen one of them either. My point is there are getting to be a few of the older full SE models that are gaining collector appeal.
I've become real interested in acquiring a full sized Goddard after using the Siren. They look very similar.

hey guys, I just wanted to let you know I have big hands. :unicorn
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

vivi wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:08 pm
DutchBlades wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:52 am

Don't see many of those Spykers floating around either.
With all the talk and hope of Spyderco eventually making one of their recurve blades full SE I think people have overlooked probably the best "recurve" Spyderco ever made>> and yes that is the SPYKER model.

I would love to get my hands on another SPYKER. Oh I like the ULIZE don't get me wrong. But the SPYKER just seemed to have a much better overall grip/purchase to it. The blade also seemed to be a little more stout as well.

If I remember right I think the SPYKER model was a collaboration between Kershaw and Spyderco>> please correct me if I'm wrong. But I would just love to have a SPYKER in full SE. So add that one to my wish list for SE Sprint Runs.
Spydie-Newbie

Post by Spydie-Newbie »

Sorry can’t post my pics; told they’re too large. On Pinterest search for “Spyderco knives; yet another obsession”. Mini-probe, bi-fold, toad, early civilians & matriarchs, janisong, are my votes. Oh can’t forget my 1st Gen titanium A.T.R.!
Spydie-Newbie

Post by Spydie-Newbie »

Figured out how to post pics! 1st one: Mini-probe with shackle #0008. Whoops! Just found out this is actually the full sized probe! Ruler measures to 6 inches. The mini probe only measures to 5 Inches. Not too much info on these or the pre-diver out there. Spydiewiki doesn’t have an entry for these and the Spyderco book doesn’t detail the specifications, just the history.
Attachments
E84EFAE5-10AE-4994-B64F-05D460C8595D.jpeg
Last edited by Spydie-Newbie on Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spydie-Newbie

Post by Spydie-Newbie »

2nd one: Bi-fold
Attachments
7691632C-7FE8-49FC-8F16-76438EF31E43.jpeg
Spydie-Newbie

Post by Spydie-Newbie »

3rd one: Toad
Attachments
D1F54E25-6DE6-4510-B82C-F140C4D5B40D.jpeg
Spydie-Newbie

Post by Spydie-Newbie »

Last one: Police P.I.G.
Attachments
77406150-1A35-48C1-B077-6B0DF80A71E7.jpeg
Spydie-Newbie

Post by Spydie-Newbie »

A few more that were mentioned before but didn’t have pictures: Captain
Attachments
F8C38E01-A3BA-49AE-946D-01D9D83C2B75.jpeg
Spydie-Newbie

Post by Spydie-Newbie »

Ayoob original aluminum handled version circa 2001.
Attachments
7F012FE4-2CB3-4133-84CD-606EEE98A35E.jpeg
Spydie-Newbie

Post by Spydie-Newbie »

Peter Herbst; 1st generation titanium version circa 1998
Attachments
CCF043C2-3CF4-43F4-9A95-FCD465028409.jpeg
Spydie-Newbie

Post by Spydie-Newbie »

This might qualify? Techno1 with incorrect CPM-S30V blade instead of the correct CTS-XHP blade. Spydiewiki alleges that a single run of these was mistakenly made and sold. Photo lacks sufficient detail but the blade is marked “CPM-S30V”
Attachments
3BA95166-7A86-47E8-B975-BF2B7D41216C.jpeg
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Spydie-Newbie wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:42 am
This might qualify? Techno1 with incorrect CPM-S30V blade instead of the correct CTS-XHP blade. Spydiewiki alleges that a single run of these was mistakenly made and sold. Photo lacks sufficient detail but the blade is marked “CPM-S30V”
I have one of these as well. Sold through Massdrop (now Drop) if I'm not mistaken. Also with your collection, you seem to more than a Newbie! :)
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Spydie-Newbie

Post by Spydie-Newbie »

Thanks for the kind words but I’m still a newbie; I might have some cool old Spydies but I have almost zero knowledge! Almost everything I know came straight off of Spydiewiki or this site. Everyone here seems to know way more than me but I’m trying my level best to catch up! My acquisitions were almost all motivated by what I read on this site as to what qualities to look for etc. When I started I just bought what I thought was neat (eg. Poliwog, Spydercard, spyderfly) or what I thought just felt right in my hand (eg. stainless ATR). When I discovered this site I learned about the original titanium ATR, Adventura, and a lot of others and the chase was on. Now I’m kind of hooked on finding early Spydercos and find myself acquiring the original versions of knives I already have like the original Ayoob and most recently an original Khalsa and Persian. It’s kind of neat comparing the later versions to the originals and seeing the variations. Although the later versions are often described as improved I almost always prefer the originals for some reason. Guess I’m a little weird that way?!
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

You have an impressive collection then!
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032