Rare and Unusual Spydercos

A place for you to post your pictures of Spyderco knives. Read Announcement before posting!
Larry_Mott

Re: Rare and Unusual Spydercos

Post by Larry_Mott »

Mr Blonde wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:37 am
Larry_Mott wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:14 pm
It's not that important to me, really. :) I was just surprised i missed this one totally, never even saw a picture of it :)
Well, I did get curious and sifted through all my printed Spyderco stuff, but couldn't find any catalog or flyer to back up my claim. I still think I saw this design as an example of the engraving services at Spyderco HQ. Perhaps it was online somewhere. Regardless, I love this Chinese Folder it's the favorite from my flock of Chinese Folders.
It's awesome alright!
My favorite is my Large Chinese with Cocobolo scales :) Out of the standard ones it's the blue/grey Almite one i never bought when i had the chance.. (Former collector with way too many knives for sale at once :( )
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Where do I begin? :D

I'll start with this black ti-ni coated 1st generation PE Mariner. According to Sal, it's one of "a handful" produced to test the coating.

Pirka - Interesting story here. These knives were made by Spyderco, exclusively for a Japanese chain named Mont-Bell, which happens to have stores in the USA as well. They were not suppose to be sold in the US, but apparently Mont-Bell made a mistake and some were sent here, and sold.

Smooth red bone Kiwi with pinned scales, one a a dozen or so pre-production samples done this way, production version has no visible pins.

Prototype Wegner Ocelot with BG-42 blade and compression lock. About 30 of these were made and sold.

2000 Spyderco Forum Military, marked as "90 of 500", but less than 200 were ever made.

2002 Spyderco Forum Centofante Vesuvius, here again the "204 of 500" was optimistic, doubt if there are any numbered over 300.

2001 BladeForums Blue G-10 Natives, in CE and PE, these were all numbered "1 of 300"

Bolstered cocobolo Stretch, one of two made as prototypes for an Exclusive run that never happened. A gift from Sal, the most prized knife in my collection, and one I carry quite often.

Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Holland

Post by Holland »

Wow Paul, very nice collection pieces!
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
So many red n black boxes

Post by So many red n black boxes »

Wow! Amazing pieces.

I really like that Pirka. Never heard of one before. And the forum Millie has been my grail for some time.

Colin
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

The Deacon wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:03 pm
Pirka - Interesting story here. These knives were made by Spyderco, exclusively for a Japanese chain named Mont-Bell, which happens to have stores in the USA as well. They were not suppose to be sold in the US, but apparently Mont-Bell made a mistake and some were sent here, and sold.
Wow, that's a great-looking knife! I'd love to see it updated for today with a FFG blade and bi-directional texturing.

Edit: I did just a bit of research and it looks like this is pretty much a straight-spine progrip. Does that make it essentially the original straight spine stretch? :D
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

kennethsime wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:13 pm
Wow, that's a great-looking knife! I'd love to see it updated for today with a FFG blade and bi-directional texturing.

Edit: I did just a bit of research and it looks like this is pretty much a straight-spine progrip. Does that make it essentially the original straight spine stretch? :D

That would be a bit of a stretch. ;) :D If you're stretching things that far then, in addition to being the forerunner of the Delica, the Standard would also be the forerunner of the straight spine Stretch. :D

That said, the Pirka had a relatively unusual blade shape with a lot more belly than the Delica. The SnapIt would probably have been the closest to it. If that shape blade would fit in a Delica 4 handle, a FFG version of it might find an audience.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

The Deacon wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:59 am
That would be a bit of a stretch. ;) :D If you're stretching things that far then, in addition to being the forerunner of the Delica, the Standard would also be the forerunner of the straight spine Stretch. :D

That said, the Pirka had a relatively unusual blade shape with a lot more belly than the Delica. The SnapIt would probably have been the closest to it. If that shape blade would fit in a Delica 4 handle, a FFG version of it might find an audience.
I'd love to see it on the new Rock Jumper handle. Swells over points!
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

That's a beautiful knife. I'd love to see it made and sold here in the States again.
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

I desperately need more in this thread.
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
vivi

Post by vivi »

Hadn't checked this thread for a while, really enjoyed catching up.
The Deacon wrote:

I'll start with this black ti-ni coated 1st generation PE Mariner. According to Sal, it's one of "a handful" produced to test the coating.

Smooth red bone Kiwi with pinned scales, one a a dozen or so pre-production samples done this way, production version has no visible pins.

Prototype Wegner Ocelot with BG-42 blade and compression lock. About 30 of these were made and sold.

2000 Spyderco Forum Military, marked as "90 of 500", but less than 200 were ever made.

2002 Spyderco Forum Centofante Vesuvius, here again the "204 of 500" was optimistic, doubt if there are any numbered over 300.

2001 BladeForums Blue G-10 Natives, in CE and PE, these were all numbered "1 of 300"

Bolstered cocobolo Stretch, one of two made as prototypes for an Exclusive run that never happened. A gift from Sal, the most prized knife in my collection, and one I carry quite often.

I've never seen that Mariner or even heard of the Pirka. Your collection is legendary.

hey guys, I just wanted to let you know I have big hands. :unicorn
vivi

Post by vivi »

Here's a modest contribution.

When the Pacific Salt 1 was phased out the later runs incorporated features from the version 2. Sal's logo and blacked out hardware and lockbar to be precise. I don't know that these are exactly rare, but out of over 50 Pacific Salts I've personally handled, its the only one I've seen with those features:

DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

I don't know how rare or unusual we're talking here, but I reckon these'll fit the bill :)

A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

This thread inspired me to go beyond the familiar.

Not rare, I suppose, but certainly not usual.

Having spent a goodly amount of time and money exploring steels (such that I have multiples of many familiar models), I’m on my way to exploring Spydies with complex curves, not for their rareness (that doesn’t float my boat), but for their added, if narrowed, thus unusual, function.

I think my next unusual pickup will be a Civilian, which I marveled at in a brick-and-mortar store some years ago.

Its story, and the Matriarch’s, too, are compelling. Self-defense tool for people having no self-defense skills. Interesting philosophy of use. Also interesting to me, if I’ve got my facts straight, is that Sal has the patent on the “Reverse-S” that distinguishes the Civilian (and the Dodo, above). He is one sly designer, as is the Dodo’s designer.
Last edited by wrdwrght on Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Marc (pocketing a Maxamet Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

😍😍😍👍
DutchBlades wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:52 am
I don't know how rare or unusual we're talking here, but I reckon these'll fit the bill :)

Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
vivi

Post by vivi »

DutchBlades wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:52 am

Don't see many of those Spykers floating around either.

DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

bearrowland wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:49 am
😍😍😍👍
Glad you like them! :D
vivi wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:08 pm
Don't see many of those Spykers floating around either.
True and it's shame. Great model IMO!
I have more Spydies you don't see very often like the Spyker;
might post another pic if they're rare and/or unusual enough :p
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

The Deacon wrote:
How much would Wartstein love one of those bolstered Stretch's?
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

Here’s what I’ve got.
Attachments
6FB45A95-5FC4-4B33-9BB2-849C7A557B41.jpeg
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:10 pm
Gernot, just calling your attention to the rare, bolstered Stretch 1 in the above pics.
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

benben wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:45 pm
I don't know about rare, but my Captain is very unusual, if not bordering on weird! ;)
I think it's fair to say that you can safely put the C-111 Captain in the "Rare" and "Unusual" categories both.

I wouldn't have said that even 5 years ago because I was still having trade offers on the Captain. But go try to find one now for less than $325>> that was the last one I seen where someone was trying to sell one. I traded my back-up unit Captain about 4 years ago for my M390 Military model which has been about the best ever EDC folder I've ever had. Unless they ever give us a C-60 Ayoob model with a Supersteel blade.

Heck the C-60 Ayoob could be put into one of those slots because it's getting really tough to find one on the secondary markets.

I bet it would even be a tough job to come up with a Breeden RESCUE which is Jason Breeden's Other Spyderco design in that same era. I haven't seen one of those offered in about 3 years now.