Rhino comparisons and in hand

A place for you to post your pictures of Spyderco knives. Read Announcement before posting!
spyderg

Rhino comparisons and in hand

Post by spyderg »

63E61041-77E8-4872-87AA-3B7487E1C552.jpeg

So, I had a hard time deciding whether or not to pick one up. Problem was that it’s very hard to tell how it’s going to fit in my hand. I decided to grab one and I’m glad I did but I want others to have a bit more to compare against than what I could find. Here’s my lrg-xl “Mechanix” glove sized hand with the Rhino, Delica and PM2 since they are likely knives that potential Rhino buyers own. Then some pics lining up the grip area. I included the Lava just because I noticed how close in size they are,(Lava is far thinner).

It is very comfortable and stable in 3 finger grip. It is pretty good but a little cramped in 4 finger grip. I opted to swap the Spyderco clip out for a deep carry Benchmade Griptillian,(black). It looks good and sits better in hand. I wish Spyderco would make a similar deep carry clip. I do NOT like the wire clip on most knives and I feel it would have made for terrible hot spots on this knife as it does on my Techno, (I almost never carry the Techno due to it!)
As a lefty I can say this thing is great! Spydie flick is perfect. I can easily enough use my thumb to flick or slowly open it as well although for slow opening pinching with middle finger and thumb, switching to thumb is best. I thought I’d be grinding off that part on the scale forming the first finger groove, but I actually like it. Even with my fairly large thumb I can still get in there to thumb it open so no need to mess with it. As mentioned by many the blade does not drop freely. With a reasonable flick it goes about halfway which is fine for me. Again as a lefty I typically use a two step closing method on my compression lock knives anyway. I often enough need to get my knife out for use quickly, however I’m having trouble remembering a time when I’ve needed to put it away faster than a two step method allows for.
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
SpyderNut

Re: Rhino comparisons and in hand

Post by SpyderNut »

Thank you for the comparisons and review, Spyderg. I'm glad you're liking the Rhino! Mine is breaking in nicely too. I can *just* about get it to swing completely shut with a slight flick of the wrist.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

After loosening the pivot a touch,(not enough to induce blade play) and a single drop of oil,(probably wasn’t necessary but I usually do anyway) I can easily flick it closed holding the lock bar tab. A few tries is all it took to time moving my thumb or finger out if the way of the nub. I talk more about the knife in the Tale of two Rhinos thread.
If anyone wants a different angle or compared against another knife just ask. If I have the knife I’ll take pics.
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

4CEEB109-D422-474E-9E2D-625BB822CA38.jpeg
vivi

Post by vivi »

Is the delica comfortable for you to use? My thumb hurts just looking at that photo.

Thank you for the comparison pics!
:unicorn
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

The Delica indeed is comfortable for me to use. I have fairly large hands with even larger thumbs. I’m told their called “hitchhiker thumbs” when they curl back like mine. (Handy for playing pool/billiards, lol!) I guess I’m used to tools not quite lining up right. (I’m a lefty too so that’s a whole set of problems itself). If you look closely you’ll notice I removed the oddly placed finger groove from my Delica, (not sure why it’s not been adjusted over the years, to make it more like the Mantra?). I typically find the thumb ramp very hard to use when choking up in the front finger choil of many Spydercos, so the nice spot for my thumb on the spine of the rhino is very welcome when I squeeze 4 fingers on the handle.
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

1F75FFEE-570B-41F5-B279-9DC65295A6C3.jpeg
vivi

Post by vivi »

spyderg wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:34 am
The Delica indeed is comfortable for me to use. I have fairly large hands with even larger thumbs. I’m told their called “hitchhiker thumbs” when they curl back like mine. (Handy for playing pool/billiards, lol!) I guess I’m used to tools not quite lining up right. (I’m a lefty too so that’s a whole set of problems itself). If you look closely you’ll notice I removed the oddly placed finger groove from my Delica, (not sure why it’s not been adjusted over the years, to make it more like the Mantra?). I typically find the thumb ramp very hard to use when choking up in the front finger choil of many Spydercos, so the nice spot for my thumb on the spine of the rhino is very welcome when I squeeze 4 fingers on the handle.
I have the same thumbs it seems. They're long and can bend back at a 90 degree angle easily. Knives like the Para 2, Caly Jr, etc., I find impossible to use the index choil and thumb ramp at the same time in comfort. I specifically seek out knives with no hump, or about an inch between where my index finger goes and the beginning of the thumb ramp.

If I pick up a Rhino sometime down the road I can't picture myself ever trying to four finger grip it. Looks like there's enough room to squeeze them on there, but I can't imagine the finger grooves line up in a comfortable way. But, that's why I have a Police on me :)

Nifty bottle opener by the way! That looks much more pocket friendly than the Ti pocket pry bar / bottle openers!
:unicorn
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

Vivi wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:05 pm
spyderg wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:34 am
I have the same thumbs it seems. They're long and can bend back at a 90 degree angle easily. Knives like the Para 2, Caly Jr, etc., I find impossible to use the index choil and thumb ramp at the same time in comfort. I specifically seek out knives with no hump, or about an inch between where my index finger goes and the beginning of the thumb ramp.

If I pick up a Rhino sometime down the road I can't picture myself ever trying to four finger grip it. Looks like there's enough room to squeeze them on there, but I can't imagine the finger grooves line up in a comfortable way. But, that's why I have a Police on me :)

Nifty bottle opener by the way! That looks much more pocket friendly than the Ti pocket pry bar / bottle openers!
Exactly! Oddly enough, the grooves aren’t an issue. Just a nice combination of the middle groove being a decent size, everything’s nicely rounded and when I squeeze 4 fingers on the handle, nothing digs in as it squishes the,meat I guess, enough to create a cushion if that makes any sense. Feels really locked in. Looks a little like the meat on my index finger is almost on the cuttting edge but it’s safely off and can’t slide forward.
The opener/prytool is great in every way. Used it just this aftn to pry off my old broken viewing hole on the door to replace it. It was my design tweaked and made by K’roo. I call it the “Chunky Drunk”.
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

1A4F4050-CA29-42EA-9663-9596C95C6EB6.jpeg