A knife gifted you'd never let go

A place for you to post your pictures of Spyderco knives. Read Announcement before posting!
legOFwhat?

A knife gifted you'd never let go

Post by legOFwhat? »

I'm sure like me you have had someone in your life that has gifted you a knife. For me I've had many over the years from uncles to cousins to in-laws and out-laws. Most of the knives have come from family and some from work, but the one a good friend gave me has been with me for nearly 30 years.

Allen said" because you love Japanese cars so much here is a Japanese pocket knife." Since 1990 this knife has been used more than any knife I own and stays clean and sharp on every workbench I've had since. It never leaves my house or garage.

So this thread is to see if anyone else has a similar story about a gifted knife, you would never depart with.

-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
MichaelScott

Re: A knife gifted you'd never let go

Post by MichaelScott »

Our kids gave me a Roadie last year. That one will stay. Otherwise, no knife as a gift.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
vivi

Post by vivi »

Sal sent me an Aqua Salt one time. Never plan to let it go for that reason alone, but I like the knife so much the thought would have never crossed my mind.

I also have a small Ruko liner lock. Tiny two finger folder with a built in red LED light. It was the first one handed opener I ever owned. Parents got it for me on one of their vacations. Couldn't tell you the last time I used it, it was over 25 years ago, but I'll never part ways with it.

hey guys, I just wanted to let you know I have big hands. :unicorn
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

This was my first knife. My uncle gave it to me when I was probably 8 or so. I was watching him heat the tip with his lighter to melt some fishing line to make a lure. He saw my fascination I guess so he let me have it. I don’t think my mom was too happy but I was allowed to keep it. I abused it for many years then it got lost in a bunch of junk. Many more years later I found it my garage, (I didn’t even realize I took it when I moved out years before). By this time I felt I could probably bring it back to life, nothing to lose if it didn’t work since it wasn’t in useable condition anymore. I’m pretty happy with how it came out and I still carry and use it from time to time.
07560CF5-D8F9-46E7-A9E1-1410F58FD216.jpeg
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

spyderg wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:11 am
This was my first knife. My uncle gave it to me when I was probably 8 or so. I was watching him heat the tip with his lighter to melt some fishing line to make a lure. He saw my fascination I guess so he let me have it. I don’t think my mom was too happy but I was allowed to keep it. I abused it for many years then it got lost in a bunch of junk. Many more years later I found it my garage, (I didn’t even realize I took it when I moved out years before). By this time I felt I could probably bring it back to life, nothing to lose if it didn’t work since it wasn’t in useable condition anymore. I’m pretty happy with how it came out and I still carry and use it from time to time. 07560CF5-D8F9-46E7-A9E1-1410F58FD216.jpeg
Love them denim handles!
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

legOFwhat? wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:32 am
spyderg wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:11 am
This was my first knife. My uncle gave it to me when I was probably 8 or so. I was watching him heat the tip with his lighter to melt some fishing line to make a lure. He saw my fascination I guess so he let me have it. I don’t think my mom was too happy but I was allowed to keep it. I abused it for many years then it got lost in a bunch of junk. Many more years later I found it my garage, (I didn’t even realize I took it when I moved out years before). By this time I felt I could probably bring it back to life, nothing to lose if it didn’t work since it wasn’t in useable condition anymore. I’m pretty happy with how it came out and I still carry and use it from time to time. 07560CF5-D8F9-46E7-A9E1-1410F58FD216.jpeg
Love them denim handles!
Thnx! Made them up in my garage. Old jeans, red fabric ribbon and fibreglass resin. Posted some more in another thread here, I believe it was titled something like “blue jean micarta”.
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Found it! Mods thread 😁
-Larry
MNOSD #0049
Mom3ntuM

Post by Mom3ntuM »

I have not 1 but 6 giftes knives i would never let go, my grandfather was a hobby knifemaker, and every knife i owned from i could carrie a knife until i was 35 where made and gifted by him.. When he died about 5 years ago i decided to stop using his knives and save them.
I now regret taking those knives for granted, i broke some and lost some but at least i got those 6 left.
Had he still been alive i probably wouldnt have bought a knife still.
😂
1543779564813959.jpg
Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.
James Dean
Reject

Post by Reject »

How much can a Koala bear?
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

My very first knife, given to me by grandfather after I discovered it at his house when I was around 8 years old.
I actually found it just last week and posted the story behind it in the "others" thread.
Means a lot to me these days with Grandpa Chic since passed away.
UEsLEQ4h.jpg
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Crux

Post by Crux »

To be honest, I've never let go of a gifted knife (unless it was total junk). Unless I gift one of my knives I never let any of them go either. I blame my brother who decades ago told me that if you sell something it's like you never really had it. Probably sounds dumb to most, but for some reason that really stuck with me. Giving it to someone is the only exception as your just giving it a new home and hopefully that person will never let it go in the same manner.
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Reject wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:25 pm
WOW!
-Larry
MNOSD #0049
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I have two.

1) The balisong my grandfather bought when he was in the army, in the Philippines in 1946. Where he also acquired his wife (my grandmother) and had both of his children (my mother and uncle). My parents gave it to me a few years ago.

2) The bayonet my great grandfather carried in the Spanish American War. My father gave me that one this year.

The only way those knives are going to leave my collection is when I give them to my own children.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

TomAiello wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:40 am
I have two.

1) The balisong my grandfather bought when he was in the army, in the Philippines in 1946. Where he also acquired his wife (my grandmother) and had both of his children (my mother and uncle). My parents gave it to me a few years ago.

2) The bayonet my great grandfather carried in the Spanish American War. My father gave me that one this year.

The only way those knives are going to leave my collection is when I give them to my own children.
Definitely a couple of keepers there! Very cool, and great stories behind them as well. Lucky man!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
anycal

Post by anycal »

My first one ever, given to me at a very early age by a much older cousin.

And this gem of a :spyder: . My favorite.

Peter
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

anycal wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:34 am
My first one ever, given to me at a very early age by a much older cousin.

And this gem of a :spyder: . My favorite.
Does the fish knife have a fish tale? :p

Hope we get more cruwear for 2019! Love it!
-Larry
MNOSD #0049
agony

Post by agony »

My grandfather made this balisong for my father many many years ago. My father passed it to me when I was 13. I was going to pass it to one of my daughters but they show no interest, so I'll wait until I have grandkids if I live long enough.

However this is my oldest knife, and my first. Cub Scout knife when I was in 4th grade, from my folks.

My wife gave me this stiletto after dating for a couple months as a Christmas gift.
Then a few weeks later for my birthday she gave me a traditional Filipino bolo knife.
I knew then she was a keeper!

I'll never let go of any of these knives, other than to pass them to the next generation.
Crux

Post by Crux »

Nice knives. What year is that Cub Scout knife?
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Amazing knives agony! Grandpa had some skills!
-Larry
MNOSD #0049
agony

Post by agony »

Crux wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:19 am
Nice knives. What year is that Cub Scout knife?
Thanks. It's from the mid-1970's, camillus.