My CNC Spyderco Scales

A place for you to post your pictures of Spyderco knives. Read Announcement before posting!
EDC Honeybee

My CNC Spyderco Scales

Post by EDC Honeybee »

This thread will be a log for my custom spyderco scales. I eventually plan to have sets of scales for the mule team, pm2, para3, tenacious, ambitious, dragonfly, native, manix 2, and sage 1. I am maybe halfway there, but am going to make several designs of some.

First, the non-cnc made scales.

Manix 2 in Ctek Crunch

Sage 1 in zebrawood

Now the CNC cut scales. Though cut on CNC, most still have a good amount of hand-finishing. Really happy with how the CNC allows finer detail (like the pocketing on the back of the para3 and pm2, and the surface engraving). Its also nice to be able to reproduce a design without having to start from scratch planing material and cutting and drilling etc.

Maxamet Mule team in zebrawood with walnut inlays

Maxamet mule team in poplar (dyed with Noodler's Navajo Turquoise for you fountain pen fans) with red g10 inlays

Para3 in green/black micarta with basketweave engraving

Tenacious in padauk with interlaced pattern

More to come! Feel free to ask questions here (or via PM if you are worried about the minimal text requirement of the photos forum). Anyone else cnc-cut knife scales? I know there are some like cuscadi and halpern titanium that do, but what about small makers?
Cncmike68

Re: My CNC Spyderco Scales

Post by Cncmike68 »

Looking good,
EDC Honeybee

Post by EDC Honeybee »

Cncmike68 wrote:Looking good,
Thank you.

Here are a few more, no descriptions anymore, just photos. Feel free to ask about any you have questions on.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Those like great! Zebrawood is a favorite of mine too. Nice work!
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
EDC Honeybee

Post by EDC Honeybee »

SpyderNut wrote:Those like great! Zebrawood is a favorite of mine too. Nice work!
Thank you! Im starting to work with some other woods. I made a bocote wooden sheath for the mule team too. Testing it out this week, but so far so good
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Great job :)
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
EDC Honeybee

Post by EDC Honeybee »

Spydergirl88 wrote:Great job :)
Thank you. PM2, Native and Ambitious are next up on my to-do. Trying to get a good stock of many spydercos so someone can always find one they like :)
EDC Honeybee

Post by EDC Honeybee »

Here is the native5 and ambitious. I think the native might be my favorite yet. Wenge with copper inlays. The ambitious is purpleheart.

Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

EDC Honeybee wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:53 pm
This thread will be a log for my custom spyderco scales. I eventually plan to have sets of scales for the mule team, pm2, para3, tenacious, ambitious, dragonfly, native, manix 2, and sage 1. I am maybe halfway there, but am going to make several designs of some.

First, the non-cnc made scales.

Manix 2 in Ctek Crunch

Sage 1 in zebrawood

Now the CNC cut scales. Though cut on CNC, most still have a good amount of hand-finishing. Really happy with how the CNC allows finer detail (like the pocketing on the back of the para3 and pm2, and the surface engraving). Its also nice to be able to reproduce a design without having to start from scratch planing material and cutting and drilling etc.

Maxamet Mule team in zebrawood with walnut inlays

Maxamet mule team in poplar (dyed with Noodler's Navajo Turquoise for you fountain pen fans) with red g10 inlays

Para3 in green/black micarta with basketweave engraving

Tenacious in padauk with interlaced pattern

More to come! Feel free to ask questions here (or via PM if you are worried about the minimal text requirement of the photos forum). Anyone else cnc-cut knife scales? I know there are some like cuscadi and halpern titanium that do, but what about small makers?
Hey Honeybee, this is really cool! I've been looking for a while on youtube to see if someone had done this. I've been wanting to make some inlayed scales for my Para 3, Shaman, and Endura with some nice walnut and curly maple scraps I've collected. I'm very inexperienced in the world of 3d fabrication but last year I got a 3d printer and have been messing around with it. I have no experience with CNC but I've considered getting a cheap Genmitsu to make spydi scales - I would be interested to hear your advice. I also know another member here Josh Crutchley who is also interested in CNC - as you probably already know he's been designing cad files for various Spyderco handle scales.
"Some call me...Tim?"