free servers

A place for you to post your pictures of Spyderco knives. Read Announcement before posting!
zenheretic

free servers

Post by zenheretic »

I'm out of date on picture hosting sites. Are there any decent free ones left? All my pictures from my last time around are held hostage by Imageshack, which charges now.
remnar

Re: free servers

Post by remnar »

I use photobucket but it has it's problems. The amount of advertising has increased to an almost unacceptable level.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I use Photobucket but agree with remnar, the web version is getting a little cumbersome. The phone/tablet app seems to work pretty well though.

Imgur is another popular choice but I've never used it since I have all my photos on PB.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Photobucket user here too, I don't know why I haven't changed though because PB really stinks, seems to be down a lot, tons of pop up adds etc. I guess its because I've used for so long and have the app on my phone plus I hate change. :o
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
remnar

Post by remnar »

I have started using imgur a little but I haven't used it enough to know how good or bad it really is. It definitely doesn't have as much advertising as photobucket.
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

I use Imgur. I like it. I've put about 1800 pics there and I have not experienced any problems so far.
:spyder: Spyderco fan and collector since 1991. :spyder:
Father of 2, nature explorer, custom knife maker.
@ckc_knifemaker on Instagram.
Donut

Post by Donut »

Imgur is the one used by reddit a lot. I've been using it for forums and they haven't seemed to complain yet, but they made it more difficult to get the right code for forums in the past couple of months.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I usually use tinypic, it's been reliable for me for quite a few years now.
I also use Flickr sometimes as well.
-Nick :bug-red
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

I've tried several over the last few years (Imageshack, Imgur, TinyPic, etc.) but in the end I came back to the one I started with; PhotoBucket.
Don't know why to be honest...
It cuts down on the image quality quite a bit and I completely agree on the advertising issues.
Managing your library can take some time because caching on the site's webservers is pretty bad.
And to make matters worse, the mobile app decided to post the same image over and over and over again on multiple occasions for no apparent reason.
I just stick to the website nowadays...

To be honest, I'll be lurking this thread for time being.
If I look at all of my complaints, I have no idea why I'm still using PhotoBucket! :p
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
Evil D

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I've stuck with PB and aside from them being down I don't have many complaints. I don't get popups on my computer so that's not an issue. Their app is usually pretty reliable for me and since I take all my pics with my phone it's really easy to upload. I've used Flickr but I don't like their link options for posting on forums. PB makes it easy by giving you the IMG link.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

Well, I seem to remember having an account with photobucket so I tried to use them first off. Three popups before I could even login, and I have most popups blocked on my computer so that was weird and not worth the effort. Tried Imgur and was up and running within 5 minutes. The fact that it is a link instead of a photo isn't to bad a deal for hassle free.
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

I use Dropbox. Put the pics in 'Public' folder, right click and choose 'copy public link' - presto!
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I use photobucket because I have for years and years and because I have a thousand photos already on there. If you are just starting then look elsewhere. Photobucket has really gone down hill. It is down a lot, it has too many ads and the app crashes on my phone all the time. If I wasn't so invested in it already I would switch. I pretty much just use it for hobby stuff though. All my family pics are on a dropbox account and it has worked well so far but I don't share them with anybody. They are just on there for backup to my backup. Overall, I give photobucket a D+ and that is because while it sucks it does work. I cannot give much of a review of dropbox as my use of it is limited.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?