Double Rainbow Delica

A place for you to post your pictures of Spyderco knives. Read Announcement before posting!
remnar

Double Rainbow Delica

Post by remnar »

I finally got around to modifying my Ti Damascus Delica yesterday.

Here's what it looked like to start with. . . Boring!

I did a quick polish on the scales and then did a rainbow pattern with the anodizer.

I then masked the scales, etched them and anodized them again facing the opposite direction.
After cleaning them up we have the elusive double rainbow. :D

Here she is all put back together. It's really hard to get a good picture that shows all of the colors in both the polished and etched sections at the same time.

I took some more photos today that I'll post tonight in my "Wandering About in the Woods" thread if you'd like to see more. They should show the colors better than these photos. :)
Last edited by remnar on Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NiallRiv

Re: Double Rainbow Delica

Post by NiallRiv »

WOW! This is awesome. Ive never seen this idea done before and combined with the Damascus blade, it really looks incredible
remnar

Post by remnar »

Thanks Nial! The plan was to make the scales look like they belong with the blade and I'm happy with how they came out. :)
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

That is VERY cool. I'd be tempted to do something similar with mine after seeing that (If I had a way to anodize mine). It strikes me that the rainbow effect would also look very cool on my fluted Ti-Native. Awesome work!
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
Donut

Post by Donut »

It's been a long time since I saw the double rainbow video. All I remember is that there was a lot of awe and some crying involved.

That's a pretty sweet knife. It looks really good.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
remnar

Post by remnar »

Donut wrote:It's been a long time since I saw the double rainbow video. All I remember is that there was a lot of awe and some crying involved.

That's a pretty sweet knife. It looks really good.
I would've cried if I messed it up. :D
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Incredible work, remnar!
Like I said in your other thread - great eye for the lines to match the Damascus!

How did you mask them? What ever you used to mask, it resulted in a very natural looking pattern with great flow!
Going back to Caly.
losinground

Post by losinground »

holy moly.
remnar

Post by remnar »

SpeedHoles wrote:Incredible work, remnar!
Like I said in your other thread - great eye for the lines to match the Damascus!

How did you mask them? What ever you used to mask, it resulted in a very natural looking pattern with great flow!
I used my daughters nail polish. Painting the nail polish on was the most difficult part of the process. It was very tedious and time consuming and I shouldn't have drank a pot of coffee beforehand. It was also very messy to clean off when I was done. I've had this idea of masking to simulate the damascus for several months but I was afraid that it would look cheesy. Originally I was going to do one color or a simple two tone, but then I got the idea to try the rainbow effect with the rainbow reversed on the two patterns. At one point I was almost ready to start carving on the scales. Glad that passed. :D I'm always afraid that I'll mess up an expensive knife, but so far so good. Beer seems to help when I'm a little apprehensive to get started. ;) :)
bengaiser

Post by bengaiser »

Very nicely done, thanks for sharing the pics! The pattern goes amazingly well with the damascus.
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

That is utterly, utterly beautiful.
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Very nice!!! Even if it was just one color I think these should be sold anodized already.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Bravo, my friend. That is gorgeous! :D Would love to see this as a standard production item. Well done!
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Well done.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Great job. :) I like how it came out, and I personally love titanium anodizing.

Just a funny thing I noticed--people always want what wasn't offered. The Pingo sprint came anodized with the bug logo, but many people want to mod it to be plain titanium. The Delica came with plain titanium, but people see it as boring and want to anodize it. Not saying there's anything wrong with any of this, just that it's an intriguing observation.
remnar

Post by remnar »

GoldenSpydie wrote:Great job. :) I like how it came out, and I personally love titanium anodizing.

Just a funny thing I noticed--people always want what wasn't offered. The Pingo sprint came anodized with the bug logo, but many people want to mod it to be plain titanium. The Delica came with plain titanium, but people see it as boring and want to anodize it. Not saying there's anything wrong with any of this, just that it's an intriguing observation.
For me, It isn't so much that I don't like the factory finishes but rather I like to have something different than everybody else. I also like to tinker, so why not make a stone washed purple Sage or a double rainbow Delica? I am very pleased with all of the positive feedback that I get but I also realize that some of my knives are not for everyone and that's the way I like it. :D