Official knife comparison pic thread!

A place for you to post your pictures of Spyderco knives. Read Announcement before posting!
Manixguy@1994

Re: Official knife comparison pic thread!

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Does anyone have a comparison shot of the Caribbean and a PM2 ? Thank you MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:58 am

The long story short is, around 5/8 more edge length in the same length handle/folded size. It basically trades the finger choil for more edge length and reshapes the rest of the handle into a more neutral grip.

It's slightly wider on the ends, but the same width at the widest point. Some people have made complaints about knives with "hooks" at the butt end of the handle because it makes them wider at the opening of your pocket, making less room to get your hand past the knife. This doesn't bother me and I find the trade off in grip ergonomics more than worth it. I like how the hook helps to secure the knife in my hand on hard pull cuts.

This shows the real advantage in my opinion, and I gave the PM2 about 1mm extra length when I measured because it has been sharpened quite a bit (to be fair they both have lost length from heavy sharpening)

All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Wow. As wide or tall as the handle appears to be on the Caribbean, closed there does not seem to be that much of a difference. Seems like a win all around.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Evil D wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:38 am
Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:58 am

The long story short is, around 5/8 more edge length in the same length handle/folded size. It basically trades the finger choil for more edge length and reshapes the rest of the handle into a more neutral grip.

It's slightly wider on the ends, but the same width at the widest point. Some people have made complaints about knives with "hooks" at the butt end of the handle because it makes them wider at the opening of your pocket, making less room to get your hand past the knife. This doesn't bother me and I find the trade off in grip ergonomics more than worth it. I like how the hook helps to secure the knife in my hand on hard pull cuts.

This shows the real advantage in my opinion, and I gave the PM2 about 1mm extra length when I measured because it has been sharpened quite a bit (to be fair they both have lost length from heavy sharpening)

Thank you very much David . Like you the hook issue is not a problem , I personally prefer it . I like the trade off for length . Looks like I need to take a closer look at this knife . MG2
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:57 am

Thank you very much David . Like you the hook issue is not a problem , I personally prefer it . I like the trade off for length . Looks like I need to take a closer look at this knife . MG2

Something else to consider is the leaf blade is a bit narrower overall when folded than the sheepsfoot, but I don't have a leaf version for pics anymore. There's also a slight difference between the two blade shapes in where the thumb hole is positioned when closed which makes the opening arc just a little different too, basically the sheepsfoot moves the hole out from the handle a couple millimeters.
~David
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Evil D wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:17 am
Manixguy@1994 wrote:

Something else to consider is the leaf blade is a bit narrower overall when folded than the sheepsfoot, but I don't have a leaf version for pics anymore. There's also a slight difference between the two blade shapes in where the thumb hole is positioned when closed which makes the opening arc just a little different too, basically the sheepsfoot moves the hole out from the handle a couple millimeters.
Thanks for the tip . I had thought that there was a possible difference , A lot of my folders are on the large side so either blade is not an issue . Just a side note , passed on an Autonomy PE at KSF , you got me hooked looking for the Sheepfoot SE ! HA ! MG2
Henry David Thoreau
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I forgot about this thread. With us having a lot of newer members lately, seeing this thread bumped may be helpful if they have any questions.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:30 am
Evil D wrote:
Manixguy@1994 wrote:

Thanks for the tip . I had thought that there was a possible difference , A lot of my folders are on the large side so either blade is not an issue . Just a side note , passed on an Autonomy PE at KSF , you got me hooked looking for the Sheepfoot SE ! HA ! MG2

The Autonomy 2 was honestly a little bit of a letdown, it came so close to essentially being an automatic Caribbean, they have similar ergonomics and overall design but the Autonomy 2 has so much less blade/edge length and so much more handle, even more so than the Autonomy 1. I've been on the fence about a SE Autonomy 2 for the longest time but I think I'll go with another Autonomy 1 and mod the blade like I did my Caribbean so it has a better tip for penetration. I do really like the Plunge Lock though, to be honest I would give up thumb hole opening entirely and have every knife I own be an automatic with a Plunge Lock if I could...crazy huh?
~David
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:33 am
I forgot about this thread. With us having a lot of newer members lately, seeing this thread bumped may be helpful if they have any questions.

We really neglect the Photo Gallery section of this forum. There are lots of great threads here that don't see the level of traffic that they would if they were in the General section.
~David
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Evil D wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:34 am
Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:30 am
Evil D wrote:
Manixguy@1994 wrote:

I hope I can handle one at next show in late February. I want to check the plunge lock out to compare to my other autos . Thanks again . MG2

The Autonomy 2 was honestly a little bit of a letdown, it came so close to essentially being an automatic Caribbean, they have similar ergonomics and overall design but the Autonomy 2 has so much less blade/edge length and so much more handle, even more so than the Autonomy 1. I've been on the fence about a SE Autonomy 2 for the longest time but I think I'll go with another Autonomy 1 and mod the blade like I did my Caribbean so it has a better tip for penetration. I do really like the Plunge Lock though, to be honest I would give up thumb hole opening entirely and have every knife I own be an automatic with a Plunge Lock if I could...crazy huh?
Henry David Thoreau
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:33 am
I agree , this is a very valuable tool for anybody interested in a knife and already have something they want to compare to . It definitely gives you a better idea if interested in a purchase . MG2
Henry David Thoreau
Giygas

Post by Giygas »

Could someone post an Amalgam compared to a Yojumbo?
Currently testing: M398, D3, SLD-Magic
Favorites: 10V, s90v
Wishlist: S290, Vancron, S125V, K890
17 Spydies, 14 steels
12 Maxace, 8 steels

https://instagram.com/cnyknifenut
https://youtube.com/@CNYKnifeNerd
Makunochimaster

Post by Makunochimaster »

Spyderco-comp (1).jpg
Spyderco-comp (2).jpg
Spyderco-comp (3).jpg
Spyderco-comp (4).jpg
Native 5 cpm-s110v G10. Native 5 cpm-s110v frn.
Lil' Native MB cpm-s30v. Dragonfly 2 zdp-189.
Delica 4 cts-204p limited. Cricket Nishijin blk vg10.
Urban n690co. Persistence s35vn lightweight.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

ImageSiren / Pacific Salt PE . MG2
Henry David Thoreau
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

Giygas wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 2:16 pm

I know you were asking for a Yojumbo and not a Yojimbo 2, but I don't have one.

Figured I'd bump your question up with a reply.

Here are the Amalgam and Yo 2 aligned at the pivot.
amalgam_v_yojimbo2_open.jpg
And here they are closed.
amalgam_v_yojimbo2_closed.jpg
Giygas

Post by Giygas »

Giygas wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 2:16 pm
Figure I'd post the comparison myself now that my yojumbo is here. Maybe it'll help someone in the future:

Compared to some other large Spydies:

Currently testing: M398, D3, SLD-Magic
Favorites: 10V, s90v
Wishlist: S290, Vancron, S125V, K890
17 Spydies, 14 steels
12 Maxace, 8 steels

https://instagram.com/cnyknifenut
https://youtube.com/@CNYKnifeNerd
Makunochimaster

Post by Makunochimaster »

IMG_20220208_172450_243.jpg
IMG_20220208_172448_237.jpg
IMG_20220208_172447_554.jpg
IMG_20220208_172452_138.jpg
Native 5 cpm-s110v G10. Native 5 cpm-s110v frn.
Lil' Native MB cpm-s30v. Dragonfly 2 zdp-189.
Delica 4 cts-204p limited. Cricket Nishijin blk vg10.
Urban n690co. Persistence s35vn lightweight.
PocketShredder

Post by PocketShredder »

Is anyone able to post a comparison shot of the Ikuchi, Sliverax, and Smock?
Image:bug-red-white
"All God's critters have knives."
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

Giygas wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 3:49 pm
wow, I did not know the Hundred Pacer was that big! thanks for the comparison pic!
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
Michal O

Post by Michal O »

I would like to see comparison of C60 Massad Ayob and Sliverax.
Current collection: Lil Temperance G10, Shaman, Lil Native, Massad Ayoob cruwear, Smock, Street Beat, Street Bowie, Para 3, PM2 purple G10 cruwear, Canis, Rhino, Endura 4 K390, Watu, Kapara, Amalgam, Sliverax, Police 4 se K390, Police 4 pe K390, Khukuri, Barong, Ulize.