Official knife comparison pic thread!

A place for you to post your pictures of Spyderco knives. Read Announcement before posting!
Evil D

Re: Official knife comparison pic thread!

Post by Evil D »

It's much more helpful when pics are taken straight down onto them and pivots are lined up as a reference point. That way perspective isn't skewed and such.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Manix2 LW, Sage 1, Native5 LW, Chaparral, Dragonfly2, Delica4
Last edited by abbazaba on Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Dragonfly2
Lil Native
Urban
Chaparral
Native5

Advocate, Slysz Bowie, Gayle Bradley 1, Gayle Bradley 2

ZT 0804cf
ZT 0452cf
Military
ZT 0561
ZT 0562CF
Manix2

Military 204p (KW)
Caly3 HAP40
Native5 S90v Linerless G10 (KC)
Native5 S90v Forum Knife 2013

Manbug Super Blue
Native5 LW Maxamet
Chaparral FRN
Urban K390
MARYWILLO

Post by MARYWILLO »

Can anyone tell me a bit about this knife. I was given it by my boss around 1998 - I worked for a manufacturing company that made abrasive wheels for knife industry - My son-in-law collects knives and I want to give this to him for Christmas but would like a little information on it - any help will be appreciated.
Attachments
Spyderco 1 cropped.jpg
Spyderco3.jpg
syderco 4.jpg
johnson

Post by johnson »

Hi everybody. Is it possible that someone can post a couple of comparison pics with a Paramilitary 2 & Gayle Bradley 2 please ?
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

johnson wrote:Hi everybody. Is it possible that someone can post a couple of comparison pics with a Paramilitary 2 & Gayle Bradley 2 please ?
From the archive...
ol_lukey

Post by ol_lukey »

can i get a pic of a byrd crow 2 next to a para 3? open and closed please
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'd really like to see the Caribbean leaf blade and Lil Temp lined up if anyone has both.
~David
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:06 am
It's much more helpful when pics are taken straight down onto them and pivots are lined up as a reference point. That way perspective isn't skewed and such.

Exactly. If they're not straight down, they're useless as comparisons. I see it so much on YouTube videos. Very annoying.
- best wishes, Jazz.
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

Squeak versus ladybug and maybe throw in a PM2 if you have one. Thanks in advance.
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

Evil D wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:38 pm
I'd really like to see the Caribbean leaf blade and Lil Temp lined up if anyone has both.

Sounds like you're having the same dilemma as me. I'm leaning towards the Lil Temperance.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

BornIn1500 wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:43 am
Evil D wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:38 pm

Sounds like you're having the same dilemma as me. I'm leaning towards the Lil Temperance.

I already have the Caribbean, it just seems like they're pretty similar apart from size. I really liked the Lil Temp but wanted a larger one, it seems the Caribbean sort of is that.
~David
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Wish I came across this thread a long time ago, definitely a great idea. We gotta keep this one alive, such a great help for anybody with questions.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

I agree. It's great to see the different models together.
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Moved this here, didn't want to derail the other thread.
JonLeBlanc wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 2:14 pm
Evil D wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 8:55 am
JonLeBlanc wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 7:01 am
That's an interesting question; on a tangential note, I'd LOVE to see a model with the blade length of the Military and the handle size/design of the Paramilitary (or thereabouts). I've always been a huge fan of the PM2 but the added utility of the Millie blade length has been seeming more and more handy to me.
Sliverax, Caribbean.
Really? That's interesting; the Sliverax has always seemed very cool to me. Do you have one? If so, could you give me a little "mini-review"?

I can't really do anything "mini", it all ends up really long winded. You should browse this thread, I've posted a lot of my thoughts on the Sliverax here and also some mod pics. There are some mods on page 18. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=74740&hilit=sliverax#p1156753 I also have a second thread on my second Sliverax and some other mods it received here viewtopic.php?t=77424#p1205101

I figured I'd snap some pics to give you an idea of size.

Closed, the Caribbean and Sliverax are definitely sized about the same as the Para 2, the Sliverax actually is a tad shorter and narrower in width, while the Caribbean is just about exactly the same length (which is a pain to try to show in pics because of perspective) but it is a little wider in the blade and handle.

These just show the knives lined up from either end to show they are indeed lined up evenly.

(the ruler isn't referencing anything here)

Here's both edges lined up with a Military (again, perspective makes them look uneven but they're lined up at the plunge line).

The Caribbean is pretty much exactly the same amount of edge length, while the Sliverax is pretty close. The Military does have more belly than either, so it technically has more usable edge length than either.

Here's a couple edge length shots compared to a Para 2.

Now to be fair, that Para 2 has seen a LOT of reprofiling so it's a wee bit shorter than factory. Spyderco lists the edge length as 3.078 inches, but it still measures up at about exactly 3 inches. The other 3 knives have only been sharpened on a Sharpmaker so I doubt they've lost much if any edge length.

So to try and sum that all up, what you're basically looking at here is 50/50 choil vs no choil. The choil on both the Military and Para 2 eat up some edge length from the total blade length, while the Sliverax and Caribbean do not lose edge length. In fact depending on how you measure, the Sliverax actually has more edge length than it does in total blade length, since the edge sort of plunges back behind the front edge of the handle scale.

I think at this point if I could only own one knife it would probably be the Caribbean. I know that's a bold statement but it hasn't left my pocket since getting it and it's everything I need in a knife. It may not be as sexy looking as the others but looks are subjective. The build quality and fit and finish are perfect and it's proving to be a heck of a work knife. Also, I've got more thoughts on the Caribbean here. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=83276
~David
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

Evil D wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 6:06 pm
Wow thanks for the write up and those pics Evil! I hadn't realized that the Sliverax and Caribbean were so "bladey" (if I may coin that term). One thing that has always given me some pause (I mean not too much) about some Spydercos is the blade/handle ratio. The handle ergos of your average Spyderco are stellar, and I think I sometimes just wish some of their blades were a little longer, but then again I don't have much experience with a wide range of models, so I'm probably just ignorant lol. And again, it's probably the case that I'm just liking the Millie's extra reach AND the compactness of the PM2, and am fantasizing about a Franken-knife :cool: I'll definitely have to take a closer look at the Sliverax and Caribbean. Do you prefer the clip-point or drop-point version of the Caribbean?

And thanks again for taking the time for giving such a detailed response, it was very helpful! (and also moving it to where it belongs lol)
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

JonLeBlanc wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 6:41 pm
Evil D wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 6:06 pm
Wow thanks for the write up and those pics Evil! I hadn't realized that the Sliverax and Caribbean were so "bladey" (if I may coin that term). One thing that has always given me some pause (I mean not too much) about some Spydercos is the blade/handle ratio. The handle ergos of your average Spyderco are stellar, and I think I sometimes just wish some of their blades were a little longer, but then again I don't have much experience with a wide range of models, so I'm probably just ignorant lol. And again, it's probably the case that I'm just liking the Millie's extra reach AND the compactness of the PM2, and am fantasizing about a Franken-knife :cool: I'll definitely have to take a closer look at the Sliverax and Caribbean. Do you prefer the clip-point or drop-point version of the Caribbean?

And thanks again for taking the time for giving such a detailed response, it was very helpful! (and also moving it to where it belongs lol)

I don't have the sheepsfoot Caribbean but I want one. I typically like my edges with shallower bellies. The leaf shaped Caribbean has proven to be very versatile so it depends on your needs, it's definitely better for making holes but I think the sheepsfoot is a better looking knife. I'm still on the fence about the black and yellow, one say I love how different it is and the next day it makes me nauseous.
Last edited by Evil D on Sat May 04, 2019 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
~David
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Really loving my ukpk, now I'm interested in the new Urban that is going to be released. Does anybody happen to have both models and could provide a couple pics of them together?
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Reject

Post by Reject »

How the Endela fits into back lock crew and the Police :) in anticipation of the Police FRN

How much can a Koala bear?
T-1000

Post by T-1000 »