Don't drink and modify...

A place for you to post your pictures of Spyderco knives. Read Announcement before posting!
remnar

Don't drink and modify...

Post by remnar »

or maybe you should. I finally got my power supply and I've been experimenting for the last few days. After a failure with a Boker, I decided to take the plunge and anodize my Techno.

Here's some before shots.

Prep work.

Fresh out of the bath. This picture shows the color better than any of the others, but none of them show the deep blue color very well. I hope to get some better shots tomorrow during daylight.

Back together With new and freshly anodized stand offs.

I'm very happy with the final result and now have plans for my Sage 2, but that will have to wait for now...
Last edited by remnar on Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
3rdGenRigger

Re: Don't drink and modify...

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

Looks great!
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

That looks great, funny I was going to start a thread about anodizing, I have a techno headed my way and was thinking about trying to heat anodize it. I did watch a couple vids on doing the bath like you but thought doing the heat would be easier, have you tried heat before?
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
remnar

Post by remnar »

farnorthdan wrote:That looks great, funny I was going to start a thread about anodizing, I have a techno headed my way and was thinking about trying to heat anodize it. I did watch a couple vids on doing the bath like you but thought doing the heat would be easier, have you tried heat before?
I haven't tried heat anodizing but I have watched a lot of youtube videos on the subject. You definitively don't have the same control with heat, but it can create some cool patterns.
BronislovasLTU

Post by BronislovasLTU »

Sad that you're not my neighbour. :D
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Very nice (for a guy that's drunk ;)). Can other colors be done? Thanks for sharing.
- best wishes, Jazz.
remnar

Post by remnar »

Jazz wrote:Very nice (for a guy that's drunk ;)). Can other colors be done? Thanks for sharing.
You can achieve other colors by adjusting the voltage. In the picture below you can see the test strip that I made of the colors at 5 volt increments. Starting from the left at 5 volts up to 120 volts on the right. The black sharpie marks indicate 25 volt increments.

The type of titanium and the finish of the titanium will also effect the color.
victorf

Post by victorf »

One major problem with these type of ano is having little to no wear resistance. Contrast is little, unless through multiple masking steps but still lack brilliance when compare to heat ano. It is mostly effective when used for contrast in a recess where it has no abrasion exposure.

As seen within the recess grooves, internal titanium slabs and fastener heads on the William Henry:

Types of ano is simply boiled down to personal preference. As for wear resistance, aside from the various class of Electro Hard Coat, heat ano has better wear resistance.

I enjoy the ever changing, chameleon like reflecting characteristic with heat ano:

The important thing is you are happy with what you'd done! Please don't take this wrong, my post is not to knock your work, rather to share differences in characteristics between the two. If I have offended you, I do apologize in advance.
LC Kid

Post by LC Kid »

Hi Folks!

With such fantastic results I'd say drink a lot before mod your knives! :D
remnar

Post by remnar »

victorf wrote: Please don't take this wrong, my post is not to knock your work, rather to share differences in characteristics between the two. If I have offended you, I do apologize in advance.
No offense taken. I have seen your work and it looks great. Did you mill the CRK yourself? If so, what tips can you give me on milling Titanium? I would like to add some texture to my next project, but I have very little milling experience and no experience milling Ti.

As for wear resistance, I guess I'll see how it does. It may just add more character. :D If it wears too easily, then I can always redo it or try a higher voltage. With a higher voltage the oxide layer will be thicker and more wear resistant.
remnar

Post by remnar »

The weather didn't cooperate today, but I did manage to get a couple of outdoor pics. The color still doesn't show well in most of the pics.

SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

That is beautifully done, man! Very impressed with the outcome (especially your last pic). Keep up the good work!
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Nice job on the anodizing! I've thought about building a tank myself to try my hand at it.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
victorf

Post by victorf »

remnar wrote:
victorf wrote: Please don't take this wrong, my post is not to knock your work, rather to share differences in characteristics between the two. If I have offended you, I do apologize in advance.
No offense taken. I have seen your work and it looks great. Did you mill the CRK yourself? If so, what tips can you give me on milling Titanium? I would like to add some texture to my next project, but I have very little milling experience and no experience milling Ti.

As for wear resistance, I guess I'll see how it does. It may just add more character. :D If it wears too easily, then I can always redo it or try a higher voltage. With a higher voltage the oxide layer will be thicker and more wear resistant.
I did the milling. Milled divots shown on mine were milled in orientation to mimic the position of my fingertip locations use for the Filipino grip style. Which enable a natural and secure grip feel.

Milling titanium is no different than steel alloys as long as correct procedures are followed. Such as the larger the cutter the slower the speed and the use of lubricants.

There is more ways to skin a cut, so I used Nitride coated solid carbide and able to deviated a little on the rule of thumb. :)

If you don't have access to a mill or a turntable for more complex radial curve, depending on your design, a drill press can also be used as well. Basically, it is all up to your imaginations! :)

I agree wear adds character on electro ano, thats when gradual worn fading add to the overall looks. :spyder: