Yojimbo 2, modded vs. stock comparison (PIC HEAVY)

A place for you to post your pictures of Spyderco knives. Read Announcement before posting!
Evil D

Yojimbo 2, modded vs. stock comparison (PIC HEAVY)

Post by Evil D »

Donut was kind enough to send me his recently reprofiled Yo 2 to check out, done by none other than Travis from right here on the forum. This is my old Yo 2 (the blade anyway) that had a previous regrind attempt on it that didn't turn out very well, but all that is well in the past now. So, finally having 2 of these knives at one time, I went to taking some pics of them side by side to show both the handle mods that I have done as well as the difference in the FFG regrind vs. the stock hollow grind. These were all pretty quick and dirty pics, nothing calendar material but hopefully they show the differences well enough.

All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

~David
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

~David
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

~David
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

One more

~David
BronislovasLTU

Post by BronislovasLTU »

Nice work, Evil D!
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Now that's what I'm talking about! Love how the modded version has less handle covering the opening hole. That was always a turn off for me. Nicely done, David.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Donut

Post by Donut »

Nice pictures!

Looking at the spines, it does look like that's about how thin you'd have to go to make it full flat.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Nice modded piece Donut and thank you for the great pictures and comparison David. The regrind is certainly a splinter getter now. I can certainly speak to how well Travis does his regrinds.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Although I can appreciate the mods at work here, it makes me appreciate the grind that comes stock on the Yo2 as I don't think FFG works here. YMMV!
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Liquid Cobra wrote:Although I can appreciate the mods at work here, it makes me appreciate the grind that comes stock on the Yo2 as I don't think FFG works here. YMMV!
Aesthetically there is definitely something lost in the regrind, but I think that goes for a lot of blades. I plan on having one of my sprints flat ground but I hope it can be done without taking the edge that thin, even if it means taking the spine down to 3mm. I thought I would really hate the spine being any thinner, but after carrying my Manix for so long, I think 3mm is a perfect compromise between spine thickness and slicing ability. I wouldn't want it any thinner since the spine plays a big role in the grip of this knife, and thinner means it would put more pressure on your thumb.

As for the scales, thanks for the compliments guys. The changes were meant to be subtle but now that I see them side by side they did end up pretty drastic. My goal was to take the ergos a step further and just remove any potential hot spots, and I think I achieved that nicely. I have talked with Boomer about having him CNC some copies of these scales, but that hasn't made it any further than talking. My next goal is to do the same with a CF scale set.
~David
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Your modded handle looks like it feels way better in the hand. Very nice, flowing, smooth lines.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Jazz wrote:Your modded handle looks like it feels way better in the hand. Very nice, flowing, smooth lines.
Yeah, it isn't that the original doesn't, it was the ergos that sealed the deal for me and this knife but anything can be improved upon. Smoothing out the points makes for a more neutral grip feeling, so even if you have big sausage fingers like me you can use this knife for hours and not get hot spots. When you define finger grooves like this knife has (and so many others, like the Delica), you're at the mercy of the size and width of your hand and fingers. Spyderco does a great job making a one size fits most knife but we all have different sized hands. If you can mod it and make it yours, then you have yourself a semi custom that becomes that much more enjoyable to use.
~David
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

While I love grind lines the geometry advantage of a good regrind is undeniable. That and it takes the Yo2 down an aggressive notch which is probably the bigger reason to consider it.

I have a bunch of knives done by Travis and a couple by Brad. There are times I miss the factory lines but never in use. My tasks are light and sharpening the thinner blades is a breeze. :)

The handle mod is awesome. Kudos on that :) .