New tip for my Rock Lobster

A place for you to post your pictures of Spyderco knives. Read Announcement before posting!
Evil D

New tip for my Rock Lobster

Post by Evil D »

Please excuse the cell phone pics...just took some quick and dirty shots while modding it. I got myself a new little 3 inch bench grinder for small jobs like this and it worked wonders. Variable speed up to 10k RPM. I got carried away and used my sharpening stones freehand to polish the back of the point/slant of the spine. I might do the entire spine at some point, not sure yet. I noticed that the spine isn't actually 90 degrees to the rest of the blade, it's cut or stamped at a funky angle so it'll need ground flat and smooth to polish it which is more work than I felt like doing. The blade looks much shorter but I only lost less than 1/16 of edge length, and that was only because I was really picky about keeping the point as straight as I could make it (would have been easier to do if I had a belt sander instead of trying to make something flat while grinding on a wheel). Overall I'm extremely happy with it...makes the knife look much more aggressive.

All SE all the time since 2017
~David
dtoad

Post by dtoad »

Does make it look more aggressive. Nice job.....
Fish on!
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Great job David. Where did you pickup the equipment?
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Good old Harbor Freight Chinese import experts. $40 including a 2 year replacement plan. It's not very powerful but does OK for minor stuff like this. It also has a detachable flexible rotary tool like a Dremel that runs off the side.
~David
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Looks much better than factory and would be more useful like that too. Nice work.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Very nice work. I like it!
:bug-red-white
Holland

Post by Holland »

Looks awesome! Very well done
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Stormdrane

Post by Stormdrane »

Nice mod/polish job on the spine. :)
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

I like it. Very nice work. It really gives the Rock Lobster a different character. I passed on a Lobster a few years back for a great price, and now wish I hadn't. Oh well. :rolleyes:
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Nice job. Looks cool. :cool:
- best wishes, Jazz.
LC Kid

Awesome!

Post by LC Kid »

Hi Evil D!

This is the nicest Rock Lobster ever! :D
Evil D wrote: Image
It is so awesome that I just want to run and find some RL to do the same mod :cool:
Stay Sharp!
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Just wow. Inspiring.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Zenith

Post by Zenith »

I like it! Nicely done.
"If you wish to live and thrive, let the spider run alive"
"the perfect knife is the one in your hand, you should just learn how to use it."
If you don't have anything good to say, then don't say anything at all

My Youtube knife use videos and more: http://www.youtube.com/user/mwvanwyk/videos
Knife makers directory: http://www.knifemakersdirectory.com/
RIOT

Post by RIOT »

I like it alot, always liked this knife and you just made it better, almost a tanto blade
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Nice work David, you keep moving that RL to ever higher levels of coolness. What evil plan do you have in mind for the next possible mod?
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:Nice work David, you keep moving that RL to ever higher levels of coolness. What evil plan do you have in mind for the next possible mod?
Thinking about shortening the handle just a tiny bit. The blade doesn't fill the handle (never really did) but I'm hesitant because the grip is pretty amazing as it is.
~David
akaAK

Post by akaAK »

your grip mod was fantastic (my primary issue with this knife) and then this. very nice work. Looks professional.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I wish I could take credit for the handle mod idea, but as far as I know CBO6ODA here on the forum made a thread a while back that inspired me to buy and mod my own. I don't know if he originated the idea, as I've seen several mods on the internet aside from his, but I must give him credit as his was the first I had seen of it. I went a little sharper with the cut on the tip than he did though.

http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthre ... ck-Lobster
~David
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

Nice mods there D.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Evil D wrote:Thinking about shortening the handle just a tiny bit. The blade doesn't fill the handle (never really did) but I'm hesitant because the grip is pretty amazing as it is.
Would you start creeping into the liners to do that to the G10 on the butt end? If so, probably wouldn't be worth it to do so. What I've been dreaming about is an Anso style textured G10 handle (like the Perrin PPT and Zulu) for one of these, after all it is an Anso-designed knife! Either that or go with nice wood scales, matching the size/specs of your modded handle. :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King