Post a spydie and a gun thread

A place for you to post your pictures of Spyderco knives. Read Announcement before posting!
Rwb1500

Post by Rwb1500 »

And that was the first and only time my JD Smith was ever out of its box. I love the design and feel of the knife it's just a little too big for me and I worry I'd end up breaking the thin tip. Oh well, I've been thinking about Ebaying a couple knives.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Rwb1500 wrote:Image

And that was the first and only time my JD Smith was ever out of its box. I love the design and feel of the knife it's just a little too big for me and I worry I'd end up breaking the thin tip. Oh well, I've been thinking about Ebaying a couple knives.
That coyote brown really pops! Great gun and knife. :)
Rwb1500

Post by Rwb1500 »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:That coyote brown really pops! Great gun and knife. :)
Thanks! I'm thinking about trading it for a 1911. It is perhaps the most incredible firearm ever conceived, but I have like 5000 Glock mags, different sights, tons of holsters... It sucks to start over, but something about two and a half pounds of steel and .45ACP feels so right in my hand.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

From a recent thread...

And one more just for fun...

:bug-red-white
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

gbelleh wrote: And one more just for fun...

As if the Ti/M4 Military wasn't enough.... MMMMMMM P08 Luger!
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

It's an original, all matching (even the magazine), 1920 DWM Police Luger. I stumbled across it a few years ago at an old gun shop for $695. :eek:

93 years old, and it's still a tack driver!
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Rwb1500 wrote:Thanks! I'm thinking about trading it for a 1911. It is perhaps the most incredible firearm ever conceived, but I have like 5000 Glock mags, different sights, tons of holsters... It sucks to start over, but something about two and a half pounds of steel and .45ACP feels so right in my hand.
There's nothing like a well tuned 1911. :)
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

Which 1911s do you guys like. I was told Kimber was the top of the line but when i went to the gun store the guy at the counter was telling me that their customer service sucked and in the last few years quailty had gone down. He was pointing me to a smith and wesson 1911. Any thoughts?
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I really like Dan Wesson 1911s. I've had several 1911s over the years from an old GI parts gun, to Springfield and Colt, to Ed Brown. The Dan Wesson is well built and high quality, plus it has the nicest trigger of all (even Brown). They're not exactly cheap, but you get a really nice gun for the money. This is one of my winter carry guns, the Dan Wesson Guardian .45. It's a lightweight bobtail. This one is stock, except for the grips.

chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

tonydahose wrote:Which 1911s do you guys like. I was told Kimber was the top of the line but when i went to the gun store the guy at the counter was telling me that their customer service sucked and in the last few years quailty had gone down. He was pointing me to a smith and wesson 1911. Any thoughts?
I still like Colt Gold Cup NM's over Kimbers.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I have always been a Para Ordinance fan and their reliability as well as customer service are tip notch. Now that they are built in the USA just down the road in Charlotte I am even more inclined to continue to patron their brand. Also the F&F on the new Ruger models is impresive for the money. I have shot a few Sig 1911s, but can't speak to their long-term reliability though it should go without saying because it's a Sig. I think for higher end I would just pay the extra for a Les Baer or Dan Wesson.
*Landon*
Rwb1500

Post by Rwb1500 »

tonydahose wrote:Which 1911s do you guys like. I was told Kimber was the top of the line but when i went to the gun store the guy at the counter was telling me that their customer service sucked and in the last few years quailty had gone down. He was pointing me to a smith and wesson 1911. Any thoughts?
Kimber's ad budget could buy us all Spydies for the rest of our lives. That being said the early series 1 guns are nice and the Clackamas marked guns bring a premium.

The new Kimbers have a built in upcharge so they can take out at least two full page ads in every gun rag. This makes them 100% not worth what they charge.

Also the aluminum framed Kimbers have issues, but that's more of a software problem, shipping alloy framed guns with mags that have steel followers... Not a good idea.

1911s quickly become a thing of diminishing returns, especially when you hit $2000-$2500. Is a $4000 Wilson that much better than a $1500 Kimber? Probably not to most.

For the money ( unless you are looking to drop 4k, if so I know of a very nice Wilson CQB...) Springfield is putting out incredible guns.

Let me add a disclaimer. To most 1911 purists ( myself included) a 1911 has a five inch barrel and steel frame. The Springfield TRP is an incredible value for an almost custom piece at a production price. Even the Springfield Loaded models are a great value.

That being said my favorite 1911 at the moment can be had for less than $500. The Rock Island Armory Tactical. For the first time 1911 buyer or someone who wants a good knock around gun they can't be beat. I put 5000 rounds through my first one without a hiccup. Of course with all 1911s you need good magazines, and not many are better than the Wilson 47D. My $500 RIA will feed empty cases with those mags. Not so much with the stock mag.

Moral of the story is there's a 1911 for everyone. I think of Kimbers as those knives with the butterflies on them. Lots of hype, no *** to back it up. ;)

Edit; +1' on the Dan Wessons as well, there may be a Valor in my near future, as long as my wife doesn't read this.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Best sub $500 I have ever spent.

The match chamber does not like Hornady brass, but other than that I have found it flawless in function and it's finish is better than I could have expected.
*Landon*
Rwb1500

Post by Rwb1500 »

xceptnl wrote:Best sub $500 I have ever spent.

The match chamber does not like Hornady brass, but other than that I have found it flawless in function and it's finish is better than I could have expected.
Purty too. You like the GI sights? I've never owned a 1911 with them. I do prefer Novaks on a fighting gun, but I suppose it's a little short sighted to consider all 1911s fighting guns.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Rwb1500 wrote:Purty too. You like the GI sights? I've never owned a 1911 with them. I do prefer Novaks on a fighting gun, but I suppose it's a little short sighted to consider all 1911s fighting guns.
I do like the GI sights, but only because they are still 3 dot. I prefer Novak if I have the choice. The grips were an eBay purchase from a higher end Para to pretty it up a bit. Thanks for the compliment.
*Landon*
Gunslinger

Post by Gunslinger »

Kimber makes nice 1911s so does Colt, Ruger, Sig, Springfield, Dan Wesson and so on. most gun salesmen are full of crap and want you to buy either the more expensive model or the model they can't seem to get rid of.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
noseoil

Post by noseoil »

The Hornady stuff has problems in different makes of weapons. For a "self defense" round, it just isn't. There have been problems on the HK forum with different loads. Always do a "drop check" with their ammo if you're going to carry it for SD. Take out the barrel & drop each round into the chamber to make sure it fits. Need to post an HK / Spyderco picture here. Will get out the camera this afternoon.
Ferris Wheels

Post by Ferris Wheels »

A question for the 1911 experts, I have had STI recommended to me but don't have anyone in my circle of friends and family who own one and can provide first hand experience. I am familiar with Colt, Para, Kimber and Springfield and can say I would be happy with most steel framed models from these manufacturers. Would like to get some opinions from those with more 1911 knowledge on the STI 1911 and 2011 platforms.

Now onto photos: Sig P238 HD with Caly 3.5 Super Blue, two of my favorite EDC's

Current :spyder: : Para2's Brown, Blue & Orange, Etched Spin, CF Caly3 ZDP189, Gayle Bradley, UKPK Orange G10, Manix2 M4, Sage 1, Caly 3.5 in Super Blue, Urban Orange G10
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'll throw an oddball in. This is a '50s Garcia Bronco (Garcia, as in half of Abu-Garcia). It was sold as a survival/brush gun out of Sears catalogs. It's a single shot .22LR. The whole barrel rotates around when cocked/unlocked to load a single round, then you fire, cock/unlock and manually discharge the shell. They were also sold as a double barrel .22/.410 combo.

All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Donut

Post by Donut »

Nice Yo. :p
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!