Well loved Spyderco's

A place for you to post your pictures of Spyderco knives. Read Announcement before posting!
StuntZombie

Well loved Spyderco's

Post by StuntZombie »

I just wanted to share some pics of some well used Spydercos. The first three belong to me.

First up is my Lava. This was the first knife my girlfriend ever gave me, and if I have my way, I'll be buried with it. I think I like the blade shape more after it's been sharpened a bunch. It actually has a little bit more point, and it reminds me of a small arrowhead. This one tends to ride in my waistband most days.

Next up is my Delica 4. This is another one that I think looks a bit better after some use and sharpening. You'd think I was constantly bumping into things, as scratched up as that pocket clip is.

Next up is my Techno. This one hasn't left my pocket for the past couple of weeks. I actually dropped it a couple days ago, and it landed on concrete. It dinged the tip up pretty bad, and took a couple of small chips out of the edge, but it's nothing that won't sharpen out over time. It will still flick through crab pot rope with the flick of a wrist, something even my Delica won't do. The blade's picked up a few scratches from cutting through cardboard and from sharpening. I actually put the one scratch on the front scale. I was curious just how tough the stonewash finish was, so I tried to scratch it with a drill bit. Conclusion, the titanium scales and stonewash are pretty darn tough. On the other side, you can see some marks on the scale from the pocket clip.

Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

The last knife is a Delica 3 that used to belong to me, but was given to a friend of mine about 3 years ago. It's not his only knife, but it's the only one he uses, and it gets used for everything. I dropped the tip a little bit after seeing Mr. Janich's work on the Endura, though my mod isn't quite as drastic. That dark line in the first pic is actually a stain. I'm not sure how he did it, but I wasn't able to take it off. I actually just resharpened this one, and I wish I had taken an "after" picture. I was actually proud of that edge.

That's all I have right now. There's another guy at work that uses Spyderco's, so I'll take some shots of those next time I sharpen them up. I hope you enjoyed seeing some well loved Spydies.
Chris

Just say NO to lined FRN
LC Kid

Post by LC Kid »

Hi Mr. StuntDouble!

Amazing pics!
Nothing more pleasant to see than a well used tool. That's real love! :D And regarding your Techno, just rub the Titanium Slabs with the rough side of some Saddleback Leather and it'll buff away any scratch making it look as good as new.

Actually even better, I can tell!
:rolleyes:
Stay Sharp!
Bladekeeper

Post by Bladekeeper »

**** I have my users but I'd hoped this was a well loved/babied thread ;) I have 95% of mine looking concourse but I am unashamedly a collector.
And our carry laws our very different my spyderco users are - tenacious plain and Spyder edge - grass hopper , bug and Endura FFG .
But would or will be using the Rock Schempp when I get myself one I do love a good patina though :D .
Holland

Post by Holland »

very nice! used spydies are the best spydies!
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

Bladekeeper,

Perhaps I should have said well "loved" Spydercos. ;) I've found that first scratch is usually the hardest to deal with. Once you get that on there, it's easy to start keeping them clipped to your pocket.

LC,

Thank you! I'm glad you liked the pics. Thanks for the advice about using the leather. I like the look of well worn titanium scales, but if I ever change my mind, it's good to know there's a way to refresh them.
Chris

Just say NO to lined FRN
GTPowers

Post by GTPowers »

Glad to know I'm not the only one who has beat the pretty out of their Techno!!!
Donut

Post by Donut »

I didn't know there was an ATS-55 Delica. I'll have to put that on my list. :)

You know... if you take a scotchbrite pad to that Lava, to scratch it up... you can make it look just like a brushed finish.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

Donut wrote:I didn't know there was an ATS-55 Delica. I'll have to put that on my list. :)

You know... if you take a scotchbrite pad to that Lava, to scratch it up... you can make it look just like a brushed finish.
Funny you should mention it, but ive already done that twice :p . I figure with enough scratches, it may end up looking like a satin finish.
Chris

Just say NO to lined FRN
Bladekeeper

Post by Bladekeeper »

Ahh I don't mind using the designated users but the collection pieces well OCD and scratches don't go well :eek: .
I tend to find though the better the steel 'maybe stating the obvious' the less the scratch shows.
Some reflections of light show 8CR13MOV is a user it scratches too easy not to be , VG10 takes much more to scratch .
Tbh if $ wasn't an issue I'd have a user and a collection of all my spyderco some customs and maybe other productions .
But the Vallotton I have is just too classy to get her marked up I know I have a problem :D .

And I name my knives well not all but most Valerie Valloton and my latest custom a mop Friction folder in RWL made by a Greek friend is named suitably Athena ;) .
Donut

Post by Donut »

StuntDouble wrote:Funny you should mention it, but ive already done that twice :p . I figure with enough scratches, it may end up looking like a satin finish.
Let me know how that works for you. :)
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Great idea for a thread. I look forward to more pics! I have a squeak thats in kinda rough shape...
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

My other buddy at work gave me his Endura to touch up. This one wasn't as bad as his brother's Delica, it was mainly just dull.

Before:

As you can see, the pocket clip had twisted at some point, and gouged the area around it.

I cleaned up the pivot and locking area, and gave it a good sharpening. I usually go up to 1500 grit wet/dry sandpaper, then strop on Flitz loaded leather. I put on a small microbevel using a Spyderco Double Stuff, then strop a few more times. It's not quite mirror polished, but then again, this knife is going to see some hard use. Thankfully, there's quite a bit of meat behind the edge still.

And a quick test..

I'd love to see pics of everyone else's well loved Spydies. Don't be shy now. ;)
Chris

Just say NO to lined FRN
Rwb1500

Post by Rwb1500 »

My very first Delica. I cut just about anything you could imagine with it;

NoFair

Post by NoFair »

Spyker:

Used in the garden and when sailing for a few years. Been reprofiled and sharpened a few times. Cuts a lot better now then when new :D

BG42 Military

CF smoother from wear, lost 1mm from the tip (oak floor tip first), convex edge from a lot of hand sharpening, but still lots of years of use left (lock hasn't moved after breaking in)
Bladekeeper

Post by Bladekeeper »

NoFair wrote:Spyker:

Used in the garden and when sailing for a few years. Been reprofiled and sharpened a few times. Cuts a lot better now then when new :D

BG42 Military

CF smoother from wear, lost 1mm from the tip (oak floor tip first), convex edge from a lot of hand sharpening, but still lots of years of use left (lock hasn't moved after breaking in)
I would take that Spyker and fill those inlays with gold mop and baby it :D .
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

Bladekeeper wrote:I would take that Spyker and fill those inlays with gold mop and baby it :D .
Bit late for that now :D
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

My girlfriend's Ladybug needed a touch-up. She's put this little knife through the wringer, and it's still in one piece.

Chris

Just say NO to lined FRN
jaybraueir

Post by jaybraueir »

Really cool amaging pics of Spyderco, have seen varieties of spydies here :)
PaloArt

Post by PaloArt »

My delica is well carried and used. I like this little fellow. It has been intensively used every day last year and half so blade is shorter than it used to be, knife was reground by hand after some major damage and scratched blade so there is no visible spyderco mark. Also it has some chips on FRN when it fell from my frozen hands (one meter high fall). Still going, still working with some flaws (blade play) but cutting as ****.

DSCN0013 por PaloArt, en Flickr

DSCN0006 por PaloArt, en Flickr