Domino flipper

A place for you to post your pictures of Spyderco knives. Read Announcement before posting!
amar

Domino flipper

Post by amar »

So I received my Domino today, and the first word I uttered on seeing was "gorgeous". Yeah, that's how those scales and the titanium side finish looks. The flipper action is a bit "gritty", but I guess it will smooth out as I flip it more. Some pics for your to enjoy (and a few comparison shots for relative size as well).

What a superb scale pattern

Steel reinforcement to the lockbar:

Comparison pics with a Southard and Benchmade mini grip (I have tried to vertically align the pivot positions)

Sonny

Post by Sonny »

Thanks for nice pics. I'm looking at the Domino with interest. Had two Southards; sold 'em, was not excited although excellent design and blade-steel. Always thought that the LBS tab on the Southard looked shabby, out of place. Darned near anything else would have been better.
Domino is nice size; might fit my hand well. Is interesting that the pocket-clip is intentionally placed OFF of the lock-bar, so to not interfere with lockbar action. CRK and Strider never are concerned with this aspect at all, and their knives are fine to operate. I investigated this a bit with an Umnumzaan (pre-LBS) that I could NOT close one-handed. Finally removed the clip entirely and it still made no difference. (CRK's "problem" was insufficient thumb-access to lockbar...has since been remedied in newer LBS-models although the true "salts" are not bothered by it.)
Personally, I would PREFER that the pocket-clip is NOT angled across the knife. Let it sit on the lockbar. Doesn't really make a difference; regardless of pocket-clip tension in my testing. The angled clip takes away from the clean lines of the design.
Pockets

Post by Pockets »

Jealous! Nice pics.
Delica PE, Dragonfly Salt SE, Stretch SE, Manbug SE, Mule 16, Sage 1, black/satin PM2, Native 5
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Very nice shot of the fiber weave. This thread is rekindling my interest in this knife but I still need to handle one before I can pull the trigger.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Evil D wrote:...This thread is rekindling my interest in this knife but I still need to handle one before I can pull the trigger.
I think I may look into one for 2014.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Beautiful shots. So do you guys think this is will be a continuing trend from Spyderco? More flippers? I like the Domino a lot and would totally pick one up if I had the funds. I didn't realize Eric designed this one. What are the chances of them designing a flipper more in the $100 price range? Maybe skip the titanium.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Holland

Post by Holland »

Awesome shots! Thanks for sharing
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

Good photos! If I can swing enough money before the holidays I might have to pick up a Domino. If I can't afford it I can always buy a Manix 2 lightweight.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Liquid Cobra wrote:Beautiful shots. So do you guys think this is will be a continuing trend from Spyderco? More flippers? I like the Domino a lot and would totally pick one up if I had the funds. I didn't realize Eric designed this one. What are the chances of them designing a flipper more in the $100 price range? Maybe skip the titanium.
I'm inclined to think not. It sort of goes against the thumb hole IMO even though it's still there the design really makes it an afterthought and really little more than adding their trademark to the blade.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Pockets

Post by Pockets »

Personally, I like the thumb hole better. It feels more natural.
Delica PE, Dragonfly Salt SE, Stretch SE, Manbug SE, Mule 16, Sage 1, black/satin PM2, Native 5
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

Evil D wrote:I'm inclined to think not. It sort of goes against the thumb hole IMO even though it's still there the design really makes it an afterthought and really little more than adding their trademark to the blade.
It is kind of nice to have all the options and even though the thumb hole isn't necessary, it's not redundant in any way. I think it is mainly because of where the thumb hole is positioned and also the size. I know on some recently released models the thumb hole is small or in an awkward spot on the blade, that is not the case on this model. Obviously the flipper is really quick but alternatively using your fore finger and the thumb hole is just as quick and if you want to open the knife slowly (so the office staff don't run for cover) the thumb hole is again a nice option to have.

I am pretty impressed with this knife it is a little smaller than a Manix 2, a little larger than a Native 5, has great steel. For me ... it is a pretty close to EDC perfection.
amar

Post by amar »

Thanks for appreciating the photos, I've got clicking after a period of slumber.

One note - the thumb hole on the domino is actually useful just like any other spyderco, so it's not an afterthought. The flipper is incredibly nice as well. The fit and finish is impeccable, the handle size is more natural and overall knife is perfect for edc. Though the cf scales are slightly slippery, this is probably a very knife gentleman's edc for the office as well. The first thing most folks at my office said it looked so lovely. :-)