Official 2013 Forum Knife Picture Thread!

A place for you to post your pictures of Spyderco knives. Read Announcement before posting!
Evil D

Official 2013 Forum Knife Picture Thread!

Post by Evil D »

Here's my attempt at consolidating the upcoming slew of threads we'll be seeing on this one. I completely understand the excitement, I just loath forum clutter :D

I know at least one member picked one up at the SFO this morning and has pics...so lets see'em if ya got'em!

All SE all the time since 2017
~David
thurin

Post by thurin »

Added more pics.

xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Thanks David.... reserving my space for pics once mine arrives (no I didn't pay for overnight).

Took mine for a nature walk... the light was gleaming off of the edge, clip and grind
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
IG-88

Post by IG-88 »

Evil D wrote:Here's my attempt at consolidating the upcoming slew of threads we'll be seeing on this one. I completely understand the excitement, I just loath forum clutter :D

I know at least one member picked one up at the SFO this morning and has pics...so lets see'em if ya got'em!
Good thinking! I hope they can stay together :)
Current EDC: Techno, Squeak, Southard Flipper, Caly 3.5

New Arrivals: Chap3, Domino, Sage 3

2014 Wishlist: Yo2 CF, Deviant Friction, Tatanka, Tusk, Firefly

Oldies Wishlist: Delica CF PE, Civilian CF PE
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

thurin, Is it just me or is the blade grind finish on this knife much more fine than most satin knives? Do you have another satin blade you can compare it to? I've never seen a factory Spyderco grind that practically reflected an image of the trees above you like that.

Also with the G10, is the texture in between the diamonds the typical peel ply G10 texture or is it something different? Can't really tell from pics. I'm curious to see how much more/less this G10 texture wears on jeans.
~David
thurin

Post by thurin »

Evil D wrote:thurin, Is it just me or is the blade grind finish on this knife much more fine than most satin knives? Do you have another satin blade you can compare it to? I've never seen a factory Spyderco grind that practically reflected an image of the trees above you like that.

Also with the G10, is the texture in between the diamonds the typical peel ply G10 texture or is it something different? Can't really tell from pics. I'm curious to see how much more/less this G10 texture wears on jeans.
The G10 feels comparable to the G10 on my PM2. Running my thumb over it I don't really feel the cross hatch.

Not sure if these clutter up this thread or not (I'll move them if you'd like), but here's a comparison of the finish on my Forum, Sage 1, PM2. The Forum knife does seem more reflective.

Not all those who wander are lost - J.R.R.T.
Clip

Post by Clip »

Can't wait for mine, this will be my first Native as well!
Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, Cruwear MT12, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Squeak, Manix 83mm, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, VG10 Jester, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

thurin wrote:The G10 feels comparable to the G10 on my PM2. Running my thumb over it I don't really feel the cross hatch.

Not sure if these clutter up this thread or not (I'll move them if you'd like), but here's a comparison of the finish on my Forum, Sage 1, PM2. The Forum knife does seem more reflective.

Does the finish look or feel any finer to you? Can't really tell from pics other than the Native looking more mirror like.
~David
thurin

Post by thurin »

Evil D wrote:Does the finish look or feel any finer to you? Can't really tell from pics other than the Native looking more mirror like.
It feels a little smoother. The grind lines look to be the same fineness but the Native is more reflective.
SQSAR

Post by SQSAR »

Can't wait to get mine and re-profile it on the EdgePro. I bet that's gonna look sick. Anyone thinking about what edge angle to put on the S110v?
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

All I'm thinking is taking a Coarse DMT stone to it and getting a nice aggressive edge. I have mine shipping to work so i can have it immediately. Pics will follow of course and this shall be my reserved spot. Just one for now i was too busy using the K390 mule to take pictures. This saw some use today too though.
thurin

Post by thurin »

One last day one pic from me. I put it through its normal EDC paces today. For me, this means killing apples and mail.

It'll get harder use I'm sure - like cardboard and maybe even whittling on some sticks. But it shined at its normal duties.
JAYJAY

Post by JAYJAY »

Man those pics look great Im super bummed I couldn't get in on this one I work nights and by the time I woke they were out of stock
I guess you snooze you lose :(
Pockets

Post by Pockets »

I want to live in Colorado :D Some of us have to wait for shipping...
Delica PE, Dragonfly Salt SE, Stretch SE, Manbug SE, Mule 16, Sage 1, black/satin PM2, Native 5
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Well I haven't got pics of mine yet but I've taken them out and examined them. One of them is a little funky...has some chips/dings in the edge and the cutout for the lock bar is really uneven on each side (one side is much larger than the other). This one will be the user. My son fell in love with it too, green is his favorite color (I must admit I like this green much more than I thought I would too) so the second one may be going to him after all.
~David
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

[quote="Evil D"]thurin, Is it just me or is the blade grind finish on this knife much more fine than most satin knives? Do you have another satin blade you can compare it to? I've never seen a factory Spyderco grind that practically reflected an image of the trees above you like that... QUOTE]

To me, the almost mirror-like appearances on the blade appears to be similar to CTS-BD1.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

Oh yeah baby...

Untitled by senorsquare, on Flickr

And no, that is not the original clip:

Untitled by senorsquare, on Flickr
thurin

Post by thurin »

senorsquare wrote:Oh yeah baby...

And no, that is not the original clip:
Looks good SS! Nice mod on the clip.
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

thurin wrote:Looks good SS! Nice mod on the clip.
Thanks. It's not optimal, but I prefer it over the original. Right now I'm thinking about taking some sandpaper to the scales to soften up the edges a bit, but I'll probably wait a couple of days before I start to butcher it all to hades.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Updated the first post with pics. I'm actually a little on the fence. I love the knife, LOVE the ergos, but I just don't know if I'd carry and use this knife over my Para 2 or Manix 2. Tough call.
~David